Decor Colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decor Colors

So avocado and orange and gold were in during the 70's. Now we are all about brown and aqua. Anyone think brown and aqua are on their way out, or are they going to be around for a while? What do you think the next big "it" color combo is going to be?

Can't think of anything creative this time

Re: Decor Colors

Ah, I'll reply to your thread. I still like avocado and gold....used judiciously. But let's never bring Herculon back! Chocolate and aqua? Just a flash in the pan in my opinion.

What does the future hold? I have no idea. But I am a big advocate of neutral colors for upholstery and wall colors. That way you can accessorize with colors that are currently in vogue. In matapule's fale the current accessory colors are rose, soft yellow, and lime green on off white upholstery and bed coverings. Very tropical. Works for me.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
      Ah, I'll reply to your thread. I still like avocado and gold....used judiciously. But let's never bring Herculon back! Chocolate and aqua? Just a flash in the pan in my opinion.

What does the future hold? I have no idea. But I am a big advocate of neutral colors for upholstery and wall colors. That way you can accessorize with colors that are currently in vogue. In matapule's fale the current accessory colors are rose, soft yellow, and lime green on off white upholstery and bed coverings. Very tropical. Works for me.
      I agree with you on the neutrals. I had never had a house before yet alone
      one of such relatively large size. Before we moved in I just had the entire thing painted a nice white (not a glaring one) and the ceilings a contrasting
      white and had neutral carpet color put in of a durable weave that I had at my little townhouse. We have lots of art and things for the walls so that makes for lots of color, texture and visual interest. I always am impressed though when people go for whatever is "in" or trendy seems to work for them. I did go with some unusual green cabinetry in one of the bathrooms and some really pretty corian in the color carribbean (sp?) in another.

I think coral is a coming trend or did it go already?

Comment

I agree with the other posters; the strong colors in design are best left to the parts of the room that you can change easily like fabrics and objects, and the walls/furniture/ceiling/appliances need to be neutral.

Last night we watched a couple on HGTV back away from a hot pink tile bathroom. KWIM?

Comment

I've moved a lot, even flipped a few houses. I've always stuck to neutral walls and flooring.

...until my current Waikiki hale! I decorated for me instead of some, unknown buyer and boy, did I ever have fun!!! There's a (pea soup) green wall; a deep turquoise blue wall; there's a long, L shaped architectural element where the blue and the green meet. Then there's the long inset wall that's paneled in lauhala with bamboo strips covering the seams! The light oak laminate flooring matches the color of the lauhala. The most neutral color is a light, buttery yellow, mostly in the kitchen and bathroom and on the ceiling thruout. The 2nd neutral color is black! The colors were inspired by a sofa I already had that's upholstered in a bold, polynesian print barkcloth. I just figured, what the h3!!, I'm goin' for it. And, I'm glad I did!

All this in a 464 square foot studio condo!

The brown and aqua, mentioned by SG, has been around for awhile so it may have reached it's life expectancy. I really like that combo, tho'. I love watching HGTV to see what the designers do with color...esp. David Bromstad.

Comment

Yeah, Tutu, I wanted to say that too...have fun with your decor!

SG, you've seen my place - its all bamboo and art and photos and souvenirs...in fact, I just looked up and saw the ornaments you guys gave us for Xmas hanging from a batik! Its fun to decorate, so why not have fun with it?!

And, hey, if you hate how it looks you can always change it!
            ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
              [...]
              And, hey, if you hate how it looks you can always change it!
              Paint color is the least expensive and easiest (but time consuming!) thing to change and tends to give the biggest decorating bang for the buck. Wall to wall flooring, custom draperies and furniture are the most expensive. Accessories, such as wall art, plants, etc. can be an inexpensive way to bring out the resident's personality.

I'm an HGTV junkie! There, I admitted it! Now, maybe I can heal!

Comment

I watch HGTV a lot too! Mostly House Hunters and also Property Virgins. Always fun to try to guess which one of the three options they'll pick!
                As for colors, I don't believe in 'fads' of any sort, since what goes out today may/probably will come back in a few years. I tend to stick to light colors for walls, mostly because dark colors make a room seem smaller.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                  House Hunters .
                  I like House Hunters too, when I can see it. But since I am a Luddite and don't have TV reception, I rarely see HGTV.
                  Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I'm so glad to know I'm not the only HGTV junkie on here! I love that channel and probably spend way too much time watching it but some of the shows are really interesting. Even though I live in a rented apt. with boring white walls, I can still dream about color
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                      I'm so glad to know I'm not the only HGTV junkie on here! I love that channel and probably spend way too much time watching it but some of the shows are really interesting. Even though I live in a rented apt. with boring white walls, I can still dream about color
                      Big sheets of the foam core mounting/presentation board cut to a size or shape you want, cover them in a light weight fabrics using spray adhesive...use sticky tack to arrange and stick em on the walls like graphic art collages. No nails in the walls.

Comment

My walls are all a light taupy-color. We have almost cherrywood-color hardwoods throughout most of our house, and light beige carpet in the bedrooms. But for the rest of the palette- somehow I ended up with a LOT of burgundy accents in my kitchen and living rooms. We used to have denim couches a few years ago, and it matched. But now we have brown, so that matches with other colors.

My front rooms (formal dining and living rooms) are blue, green, and white. I'm redoing our guest room with all the stuff from our Hawaii house, so it'll be blue and green too. I really want to change the burgundy for blue, but I'll have to do it a little at a time. Window treatments are really expensive! And I'll have to recover the stupid kitchen chairs again.

I love painting rooms! It's so much fun! But our house has some strange wall configurations, so it's hard to know where to paint. But I figure the guest room is a good place to start.

I'm also a total Property Virgins/House Hunters/Buy Me junkie. Even though I think the first two shows are totally staged.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Working...
                        X