Print news coverage for Daniel Kahanaoi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Print news coverage for Daniel Kahanaoi

As I am on the East Coast and missing home, I am online getting my HT fix for the morning.

I read both the SB and the Advertiser coverage of the preliminary hearing for Daniel Kahanaoi. What a difference! I commend the Advertiser for a great picture that said more than the article ever could.

The SB seemed very sympathetic to the defendant and his family; I was astonished at the tone of their article, and that was even without seeing the photo on the HA site. After seeing the photo, well, I just don't know what to say. I feel for the victim's family and friends and wish them peace.

This is a great example of the tenet that multiple sources of news is definitely a requirement in a society. I think this is the first time I have seen such a blatant lack of objectivity. Is this only "news" to me?

Re: Print news coverage for Daniel Kahanaoi

The story that contains this confrontation:?

Hershman identified himself as one of attorney Craig Kimsel's best friends. "He was the best man at my wedding," Hershman yelled. "Danny, I hope you sleep good tonight."

In response, Kahanaoi, dressed in a white prison jumpsuit and standing in the center of the courtroom, made an obscene gesture at Hershman
    Kahanaoi sounds charming.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I haven't followed this story in print but was taken aback when I watched the local news and saw Kahanaoi taken into custody. The smirk on his face was Hannibal Lecter-esque. Truly creepy.
      Last edited by tutusue; May 3, 2009, 09:53 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

This is the kind of person for which the term "punk" was invented.

Comment

KGMB9.com had video of the confrontation, during which the family member said to the victim's friend, "You like go the same place?" Couldn't believe what I was hearing the first time I looked at it!
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I saw that, too, scriv. Amazing.

Comment

Where did he work? The media usually have comments from co-workers.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                Where did he work? The media usually have comments from co-workers.
                Dunno and I didn't see any co-worker comments. However, there were several comments made by his Waimanalo neighbors...all negative.

Comment

Simple common street trash, what a loser.

Comment

Children learn what they live.

It is sad that such a beautiful place like this breeds people like that.
                    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                    ~ ~
                    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                      KGMB9.com had video of the confrontation, during which the family member said to the victim's friend, "You like go the same place?" Couldn't believe what I was hearing the first time I looked at it!
                      Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      I saw that, too, scriv. Amazing.
                      There’s no longer a direct link to the story on the KGMB9 website, but the video is still there. Keep in mind that this clip is likely edited from the complete raw footage.

What the family member said was mean-spirited, but certainly was instigated by Tim Hershman, who berated Kahanaoi from the gallery in an unsolicited finger-pointing diatribe. I’m sure many local families would have reacted to him in the same way.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                      USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                      X