PDA

View Full Version : The New Lizards

Kaonohi
May 11th, 2009, 06:07 PM
When I bought my farm, in 87, I noticed in addition to the inside-outside geckos, we had a few, very few Carolina Anoles around as well. These are the lizards that are green in the shade and turn brown in the sun , and the males have a big red dewlap (throat pouch) they extend as a mating or territorial gesture.

In the past 3 years there has been an influx of mottled brown lizards, same shape and general size as the anoles, but not color-changing. Now they are the dominant lizard types in the valley. Not that I mind, as any lizard means fewer bugs, but I'm perplexed as to where they came from. Have they been here (On O`ahu) forever and just made it up to our altitude? Or are they a new introduction (like those Glaber ants... grrrrr)?

What's your perception?

takakomay
May 11th, 2009, 07:35 PM
funny I was wondering about that. Because the new ones are ugly!:)

asuhoru
May 11th, 2009, 09:36 PM
My father-in-law told me the other day that his friend was saying that the brown ones eat the green ones. Or so his 'farmer' friend told him.

I miss the green ones.

Kaonohi
May 11th, 2009, 10:46 PM
My father-in-law told me the other day that his friend was saying that the brown ones eat the green ones. Or so his 'farmer' friend told him.

I miss the green ones.
Not my experience.

The brown ones are VERY prolific, but the green ones were always 'spare.' (i.e., few in number)

I think it's just... the browns are very prolific, and the greens are less.

I still see greens around my property, as many as before, FWIW, but plenty more browns.

Come on, they're NOT ugly, just... uh... 'different.'
(But very aggressive!!!)

anapuni808
May 12th, 2009, 10:35 PM
I live in Makiki. We got the brown ones in the yard and they drove all the others away. They were really kind of creepy - very agressive! They looked like tiny little velociraptors when they would fight with each other.

Kaonohi
May 12th, 2009, 10:43 PM
I live in Makiki. We got the brown ones in the yard and they drove all the others away. They were really kind of creepy - very agressive! They looked like tiny little velociraptors when they would fight with each other.
Wow! Yeah, they do fight and attack each other.... I haven't seen them bothering the green anoles though, just scrapping with their own kind.

But they came out of nowhere!

One day anoles and Jackson's, then millions of mottled brown lizards.....

But, fewer ants, cockroaches and the like.
I'm not going to complain!

Menehune Man
May 13th, 2009, 07:21 PM
A LINK (http://www.explorebiodiversity.com/Hawaii/BiodiversityForgotten/Wildlife/Reptiles/Lizards.htm) to Lizards in Hawaii.
Quote from text above ^.
"Yet, no lizard ever made it to Hawaii naturally!"

I like all the different ones. We have a couple of bright green with reds spots lizards occasionally hanging out on our lanai. Then there's plenty of other kinds down at the creek leading into the Ala Wai Canal. Cool! :cool:

Barry
May 13th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Wow! Yeah, they do fight and attack each other.... I haven't seen them bothering the green anoles though, just scrapping with their own kind.

But they came out of nowhere!

One day anoles and Jackson's, then millions of mottled brown lizards.....

But, fewer ants, cockroaches and the like.
I'm not going to complain!

You won't get any stuff like that here when you get to London !
There are too many cats ( Moggies) on this Island and they take care of such probs.

(ps. Cats are useful but they do make me angry when they jump on me and pucker me up > makes me want to reach for my side arm. )

Kaonohi
May 13th, 2009, 11:17 PM
We have a couple of bright green with reds spots lizards occasionally hanging out on our lanai.
Like trade?;)

Kaonohi
May 13th, 2009, 11:21 PM
You won't get any stuff like that here when you get to London !
There are too many cats ( Moggies) on this Island and they take care of such probs.

(ps. Cats are useful but they do make me angry when they jump on me and pucker me up > makes me want to reach for my side arm. )
AS IF! I heard the Queen won't even let you have long guns any more! WHat SIDEARM?
O`ahu cats are too lazy.... or maybe too well fed. Besides, lizards aren't good for their digestive tract.
Our "Outside cats" catch and kill rats, but our "inside cat" must think they're just smaller cats or something, as our traps snag 'em.
:rolleyes:

Pretender
May 14th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I believe what you are seeing is the brown anole.

More info here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Anole) and here (http://invasions.bio.utk.edu/invaders/sagrei.html)

A quote in part from the first link

"The Brown Anole, Anolis sagrei (or Norops sagrei) also called the Bahamian Anole is a lizard native to Cuba and the Bahamas. It has been widely introduced elsewhere, and is now found in Florida and as far north as Southern Georgia, Texas, Taiwan, Hawaii, and other Caribbean islands. Its introduction in the USA has altered the behavior and triggered a negative effect on populations of the native Green Anole, Anolis carolinensis, also called the Carolina Anole. This species is highly invasive.[1] In its introduced range it reaches exceptionally high population densities, is capable of expanding its range at an exponential rate, and both out competes and consumes many species of native lizards."

Menehune Man
May 14th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Like trade?;)
HaHa! But I'd feel bad catching them. :rolleyes:

I believe what you are seeing is the brown anole....

Thanks Pretender! Great post and research done. :cool:

Kaonohi
May 14th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I believe what you are seeing is the brown anole.
"The Brown Anole, Anolis sagrei (or Norops sagrei) also called the Bahamian Anole is a lizard native to Cuba and the Bahamas. It has been widely introduced elsewhere, and is now found in Florida and as far north as Southern Georgia, Texas, Taiwan, Hawaii, and other Caribbean islands. Its introduction in the USA has altered the behavior and triggered a negative effect on populations of the native Green Anole, Anolis carolinensis, also called the Carolina Anole. This species is highly invasive.[1] In its introduced range it reaches exceptionally high population densities, is capable of expanding its range at an exponential rate, and both out competes and consumes many species of native lizards."
Wow! Sounds like they fit. A recent introduction into Kahalu`u, in the past 3-4 years.
I hope they don't eradicate the Carolina Anole, but I'm pleased with their non-lizard diets....
Things change. Maybe they'll eat Coqui frogs!
:D

turtlegirl
May 17th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Anybody ever try to tame one? I have a few teeny baby lizards running around outside, and I can't help but wonder. Maybe they can be taught to sit in your lap, or hang out?

Kaonohi
May 17th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Anybody ever try to tame one? I have a few teeny baby lizards running around outside, and I can't help but wonder. Maybe they can be taught to sit in your lap, or hang out?
I have had semi-tame Anoles. When I was a kid I used to make a small collar and leash and tie it to my shirt. They'd sit on my shoulder and slip into my pocket, but when untied, they went their own way.
These brown lizards are very skittish in contrast - even hard to catch.

If you want a tame lizard, go for a Jackson's Chameleon! They are cool! They have a good wild population on O`ahu, and many pet stores have them, from $5 to $25. The pet store Ewa of Ward Warehouse had them, and the store in Enchanted Lakes, as well.

68-eldo
May 17th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I don't know about taming them, but this one came by to say "Hi"

Kaonohi
May 27th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I don't know about taming them, but this one came by to say "Hi"
Notice, we haven't heard from Eldo since......

They may LOOK tame, but for Termites, they are the last incarnation of GODZILLA!!!!!

Snif, sorry, eldo, you were a good friend....

Anyway, night before last we had a MAJOR swarm of termites. So many they blocked out the floodlights, so we had to retaliate in the shade. (That's original, y'know!)

Fighting, spraying, vacuuming, smacking, then... out of the murk...
ANOLIS SAGREI! Eating, fighting over termites. Saving our wood!

Hallelujah!

68-eldo
May 28th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Iím not a termite so Iím safe.

The lizard in the picture is really catching flies. When we sit on the front steps there is the occasional fly comes around. These lizards will climb all over us to get to them.

I have a good relationship with lizards.

Maybe because I share.
http://www.planeteldorado.com/images/coke.jpg
And carry them to safety etc.
http://www.planeteldorado.com/images/carry.jpg

Kaonohi
May 28th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Eldo! It looks like you have what's called a "special relationship" with lizards!
That's a good thing, BTW.... animal sensitivity or compassion or something.
When I was in places where there were snakes, I used to have that kind of relationship.

That second photo looks like an Anole Carolinensis, but even they are notably shy. You got a gift!

If you find some that eat these Glaber ants, send 'em over for FEAST TIME!!!!

Meantime, keep those cards and lizards coming!

MyopicJoe
January 25th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Saw something kinda creepy today:

Two male, brown anole lizards were fighting. The loser backed away by walking...sideways...like a crab, so it could keep one eye on the winner. If you've played first person shooter video games, the loser was basically circle-strafing around the winner.

Too bad I couldn't film it.