The New Lizards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Lizards

When I bought my farm, in 87, I noticed in addition to the inside-outside geckos, we had a few, very few Carolina Anoles around as well. These are the lizards that are green in the shade and turn brown in the sun , and the males have a big red dewlap (throat pouch) they extend as a mating or territorial gesture.

In the past 3 years there has been an influx of mottled brown lizards, same shape and general size as the anoles, but not color-changing. Now they are the dominant lizard types in the valley. Not that I mind, as any lizard means fewer bugs, but I'm perplexed as to where they came from. Have they been here (On O`ahu) forever and just made it up to our altitude? Or are they a new introduction (like those Glaber ants... grrrrr)?

What's your perception?
    Last edited by Kaonohi; May 11, 2009, 06:08 PM. Reason: Kant tipe 4 beens.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Re: The New Lizards

funny I was wondering about that. Because the new ones are ugly!

Comment

My father-in-law told me the other day that his friend was saying that the brown ones eat the green ones. Or so his 'farmer' friend told him.

I miss the green ones.

Comment

Originally posted by asuhoru View Post
        My father-in-law told me the other day that his friend was saying that the brown ones eat the green ones. Or so his 'farmer' friend told him.

I miss the green ones.
        Not my experience.

The brown ones are VERY prolific, but the green ones were always 'spare.' (i.e., few in number)

I think it's just... the browns are very prolific, and the greens are less.

I still see greens around my property, as many as before, FWIW, but plenty more browns.

Come on, they're NOT ugly, just... uh... 'different.'
        (But very aggressive!!!)
        ~ ~

Comment

I live in Makiki. We got the brown ones in the yard and they drove all the others away. They were really kind of creepy - very agressive! They looked like tiny little velociraptors when they would fight with each other.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
            I live in Makiki. We got the brown ones in the yard and they drove all the others away. They were really kind of creepy - very agressive! They looked like tiny little velociraptors when they would fight with each other.
            Wow! Yeah, they do fight and attack each other.... I haven't seen them bothering the green anoles though, just scrapping with their own kind.

But they came out of nowhere!

One day anoles and Jackson's, then millions of mottled brown lizards.....

But, fewer ants, cockroaches and the like.
            I'm not going to complain!
            ~ ~

Comment

A LINK to Lizards in Hawaii.
              Quote from text above ^.
              "Yet, no lizard ever made it to Hawaii naturally!"

I like all the different ones. We have a couple of bright green with reds spots lizards occasionally hanging out on our lanai. Then there's plenty of other kinds down at the creek leading into the Ala Wai Canal. Cool!
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                Wow! Yeah, they do fight and attack each other.... I haven't seen them bothering the green anoles though, just scrapping with their own kind.

But they came out of nowhere!

One day anoles and Jackson's, then millions of mottled brown lizards.....

But, fewer ants, cockroaches and the like.
                I'm not going to complain!

You won't get any stuff like that here when you get to London !
                There are too many cats ( Moggies) on this Island and they take care of such probs.

(ps. Cats are useful but they do make me angry when they jump on me and pucker me up > makes me want to reach for my side arm. )

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                  We have a couple of bright green with reds spots lizards occasionally hanging out on our lanai.
                  Like trade?
                  ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                    You won't get any stuff like that here when you get to London !
                    There are too many cats ( Moggies) on this Island and they take care of such probs.

(ps. Cats are useful but they do make me angry when they jump on me and pucker me up > makes me want to reach for my side arm. )
                    AS IF! I heard the Queen won't even let you have long guns any more! WHat SIDEARM?
                    O`ahu cats are too lazy.... or maybe too well fed. Besides, lizards aren't good for their digestive tract.
                    Our "Outside cats" catch and kill rats, but our "inside cat" must think they're just smaller cats or something, as our traps snag 'em.
                    ~ ~

Comment

I believe what you are seeing is the brown anole.

More info here and here

A quote in part from the first link

"The Brown Anole, Anolis sagrei (or Norops sagrei) also called the Bahamian Anole is a lizard native to Cuba and the Bahamas. It has been widely introduced elsewhere, and is now found in Florida and as far north as Southern Georgia, Texas, Taiwan, Hawaii, and other Caribbean islands. Its introduction in the USA has altered the behavior and triggered a negative effect on populations of the native Green Anole, Anolis carolinensis, also called the Carolina Anole. This species is highly invasive.[1] In its introduced range it reaches exceptionally high population densities, is capable of expanding its range at an exponential rate, and both out competes and consumes many species of native lizards."

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                        Like trade?
                        HaHa! But I'd feel bad catching them.

Originally posted by Pretender View Post
                        I believe what you are seeing is the brown anole....
                        Thanks Pretender! Great post and research done.
                        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pretender View Post
                          I believe what you are seeing is the brown anole.
                          "The Brown Anole, Anolis sagrei (or Norops sagrei) also called the Bahamian Anole is a lizard native to Cuba and the Bahamas. It has been widely introduced elsewhere, and is now found in Florida and as far north as Southern Georgia, Texas, Taiwan, Hawaii, and other Caribbean islands. Its introduction in the USA has altered the behavior and triggered a negative effect on populations of the native Green Anole, Anolis carolinensis, also called the Carolina Anole. This species is highly invasive.[1] In its introduced range it reaches exceptionally high population densities, is capable of expanding its range at an exponential rate, and both out competes and consumes many species of native lizards."
                          Wow! Sounds like they fit. A recent introduction into Kahalu`u, in the past 3-4 years.
                          I hope they don't eradicate the Carolina Anole, but I'm pleased with their non-lizard diets....
                          Things change. Maybe they'll eat Coqui frogs!
                          ~ ~

Comment

Anybody ever try to tame one? I have a few teeny baby lizards running around outside, and I can't help but wonder. Maybe they can be taught to sit in your lap, or hang out?
                            ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                              Anybody ever try to tame one? I have a few teeny baby lizards running around outside, and I can't help but wonder. Maybe they can be taught to sit in your lap, or hang out?
                              I have had semi-tame Anoles. When I was a kid I used to make a small collar and leash and tie it to my shirt. They'd sit on my shoulder and slip into my pocket, but when untied, they went their own way.
                              These brown lizards are very skittish in contrast - even hard to catch.

If you want a tame lizard, go for a Jackson's Chameleon! They are cool! They have a good wild population on O`ahu, and many pet stores have them, from $5 to $25. The pet store Ewa of Ward Warehouse had them, and the store in Enchanted Lakes, as well.
                              ~ ~

Comment

Working...
                              X