Previews and Reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Previews and Reviews

The motion picture industry might do better without either.

The preview of "I Robot" convinced me I did not want to see the movie.

And now a review in the current Weekly has put me off the idea of seeing "De Lovely". I love Cole Porter's music, but why on earth did they make a film about his life and not make it an accurate portrayal?

Any films you've been deflected from by previews or reviews?

Re: Previews and Reviews

One example I always come back to was "Iron Giant," which was positioned so badly by the studio, it bombed. Yet, many people who actually see it end up pleasantly surprised. It's entirely different from the story you thought you'd get from the previews. Nothing about the commercial appealed to me, and I'm sure those that it did lure in were disappointed in what they actually got.

In a way, "I, Robot" is a different example. It made it clear at the outset that you weren't getting Asimov's tale, but your typical Will Smith fare. You knew exactly what you were going to get... and that's how I knew I wasn't interested.

Summer is the time you're most likely to see a preview for a movie that makes you wonder just what the person who greenlighted it was smoking. "Garfield"? "Soul Plane"?

Comment

Re: Previews and Reviews

Originally posted by Albert
      The motion picture industry might do better without either.
      I don't know about reviews but previews is what brings in the people. Well at least that is what brings me in. However not all previews I see makes me want to see the movie.

Comment

Working...
      X