Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swine Flew! (down the hill, but 'they'll be back!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swine Flew! (down the hill, but 'they'll be back!)

2 mornings ago, Friday morn, our guard dog ('Fang') barked-and-barked-and-barked-and-barked-and-barked-and-barked-and-barked-and-barked-and-barked! Looked outside, saw nothing, back to bed.

Our neighbor across the street told us later (he's an early riser) that our garden had been invaded by eleven wild pigs. By his description I thought these were adults, but further questioning revealed they are young, who have invaded and decimated our vegetable & fruit garden.

They rooted up two papaya trees, snapped another in half, and rooted out our peppers, ate our oregano, un-planted our recently planted flowers and tried to uproot our fig tree.

This morning they were back again! and did even more damage.

(Picture Ka`onohi's wife seething, picture Ka`onohi plotting, picture our teenager saying "but they're cute!" Then offering to stand guard with his target bow and arrows.)

Eleven juvenile pigs. Last year we domesticated them (4) and sent them to pig villages.... This year... we are considering vengeance.

One plan: I have a motion-activated alarm which I will install where they access our garden area, hoping the surprising and unfamiliar noise will spook them, or wake us up so we can chase them until they establish new patterns of incursion elsewhere.

If that doesn't work... we live in a multi-acreage area where firearm hunting on private land is allowed, and I love tender young pork, but not dressing it out. I guess I can find a butcher who would dress out and butcher for 50/50.

It must have been a fertile year for pigs.

Suggestions welcome.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Re: Swine Flew! (down the hill, but 'they'll be back!)

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
    [...](Picture Ka`onohi's wife seething, picture Ka`onohi plotting, picture our teenager saying "but they're cute!" Then offering to stand guard with his target bow and arrows.)[...]
    I think there's currently an idle baseball bat at the Makaha Valley Towers!

Comment

Poor 'ol Fang the Watch Dog is probably sitting back, thinking "I TOLD YOU SO".
      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

You folk!

At least you make me smile about it....

('Fang' is 1/2 daschund, 1/2 chihuahua, and SOOOOO ferocious!) [She thinks...]
        ~ ~

Comment

One solution I have heard about for rooting pigs is to bury chicken wire a few inches down in the garden; plants grow fine but the pig's snout gets torn up.

Personally, I like pork. But don't wild pigs have issues with parasites in the muscle tissue?

I say let Fang get 'em!!

Comment

Kaonohi, PM sent.

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
              One solution I have heard about for rooting pigs is to bury chicken wire a few inches down in the garden; plants grow fine but the pig's snout gets torn up.

Personally, I like pork. But don't wild pigs have issues with parasites in the muscle tissue?

I say let Fang get 'em!!
              What? let 'Fang' get trichonosis????
              Actually, her name is Olivia (pronounced Oh-Leeev-eee-ah) according to 'mom,' (the Eyetalian pronunciation...), and her bark is the worst, but scary!
              The proximity alarm I put in seems to be working - keepin them out of the garden, at least, but they are still active down on the lower 40......

Cooked, I think the parasites would be make die dead.

Rumor has it that some local bow hunters may be ranging along the stream looking for targets (on Kahalu`u Stream, between Melekula road and Ahuimanu Road). My darling wife would want me to stop them, but, as we all know, even if a stream crosses private property (AS THIS DOES) the stream bed itself is considered public access....

Bye bye, pigs, thank you unnamed bow-hunters...
              ~ ~

Comment

A few months ago I started a thread regarding this very situation.
                Presently they are no longer "visiting" but the avocado tree is starting
                to fruit and our hunter said they'll be back for the crop. Babooze too sent
                me a PM and I've got his name in my file for the future.

Comment

Working...
                X