RIP, Kenny Rankin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP, Kenny Rankin

I've heard that one of my favorite singers passed away from cancer this morning. That's all I know as I've found nothing about it in the mainstream media. Please post a link if you have one. Musicians, both local and international, on Facebook are spreading the word. Hopefully they're wrong but some behind the scenes communications indicates that Facebook did, indeed, scoop the media.

RIP, Kenny. Hopefully the Black Bird is now singing to you.

Re: RIP, Kenny Rankin

Holy cow, I just bought one of his CDs two days ago. RIP.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

I found his web site and there's some discussion about it in the forums section...stage 4 lung cancer, dx'd not too long ago. It appears his last concert was 5/3.

Comment

Did he perform in Hawaii every year?

Comment

my favorite KR song is regrets (from after the roses); very touching. rip....
          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
            It seems plausible as Rankin and Tom Moffett were close friends but I don't recall hearing or seeing any ads for local concerts in quite awhile. The last concert I attended was during the '80s and, iirc, it was at Andrews amphitheater.

ETA: I shoulda googled first! Looks like he was at the Hawaii Theater this past February. How'd I miss that?!

Comment

Odd...still no word in mainstream media on the 'net altho' ejazz.com reported Rankin's death by quoting a forum entry from his web site. His Wikipedia entry has also been updated to include his death as "June 2009". Apparently Rankin died at 6am yesterday, 6/7. Not sure what time zone but that's at least 30 hours ago. The reports I've read on Facebook all come from prominent musicians. I doubt this news has escaped Twitter. I wonder why it's escaped the media.

Comment

From the Associated Press ---

LOS ANGELES — A spokesman for Kenny Rankin's record label says the veteran singer-songwriter has died of lung cancer. He was 67.

Mack Avenue Records spokesman Don Lucoff says Rankin died Sunday at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. The cause of death was lung cancer.

In a career spanning 50 years, Rankin worked with such artists as Bob Dylan, wrote songs for Peggy Lee and Mel Torme and released his own acclaimed recordings, including "The Kenny Rankin Album" in 1976.

Lucoff said Monday that funeral arrangements are pending.

Comment

Make's me now wish I'd made his show last month. Wondering if that was his last gig?
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Where'd he appear last month, Ron? He appeared at the Hawaii Theater on 2/14/09. So far the last confirmed concert I've found was 5/3/09 in Cincinnati.

Thanks, Leo. I wonder what took 'em so long!

Comment

Sorry, Feb., as you stated. Time flies...
                      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                        Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        It seems plausible as Rankin and Tom Moffett were close friends but I don't recall hearing or seeing any ads for local concerts in quite awhile. The last concert I attended was during the '80s and, iirc, it was at Andrews amphitheater.

ETA: I shoulda googled first! Looks like he was at the Hawaii Theater this past February. How'd I miss that?!
                        Kenny Rankin's last concert here was on Valentine's Day... understandably a busy day for a lot of folks. The year before that was also a Valentine's Day concert, at the Hawaii Theatre in 2008. Prior to that, "Uncle Tom" booked him at the Mamiya Theater (St. Louis School) in June 2007.

I was fortunate enough to attend those three shows. Although I can't say for sure, I'm pretty sure KR did play a Hawaii gig every year due to his close friendship with Tom Moffatt. I think the Hawaii dates also allowed him to take advantage of some R&R time with his family.

This past February, KR was in fine form. Fans know his style--voice lilting, sliding smoothly up and down the notes, like buttah. That show, like every other one of his concerts I've ever been to, was pure, unadulterated Rankin. Superb.

What a shock to find out today that he's gone. The LA Times reports that he was diagnosed with lung cancer only three weeks ago:
                        http://www.latimes.com/news/obituari...,5347669.story

I have my favorite Kenny Rankin song playing right now on my iPod: "While My Guitar Gently Weeps."

Fans around the world gently weep tonight as we mourn KR's passing.
                        My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends...
                        To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

Originally posted by musubi View Post
                          [...] The LA Times reports that he was diagnosed with lung cancer only three weeks ago:[...]
                          I guess the blessing in this sad situation is that Rankin didn't suffer thru a protracted illness. The family, otoh, had such a short time to try to come to grips with the diagnosis much less the swiftness in which the end came.

Comment

Such a gorgeous voice, too soon silenced.

Saw him at a summer concert at Seattle's Woodland Park Zoo several years ago. While he sang "Blackbird," a whole bunch of crows flew overhead, cawing loudly. He paused mid-song and said," hey, it's okay - it's their song, too!"

Comment

Working...
                            X