Desperate for lawn help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desperate for lawn help

We have a sloping rock garden that used to be the home of mondo grass and lava boulders. Unfortunately, through years of neglect the mondo grass has been pushed away by 10 other types of grass....mostly weeds. All the good stuff is now yellow/burnt while the high weed grass is thriving. I don't know what to do. I've tried multiple weed killers and it doesn't seem to fully work.

I'm almost willing to kill it all, rake it up, put down new dirt and growing new good grass. However, since I live on the windward side I'm worried the new soil will be corroded by the heavy rains.

What's your advice/suggestion?

Mahalo!

Re: Desperate for lawn help

Originally posted by amagab View Post
    We have a sloping rock garden that used to be the home of mondo grass and lava boulders. Unfortunately, through years of neglect the mondo grass has been pushed away by 10 other types of grass....mostly weeds. All the good stuff is now yellow/burnt while the high weed grass is thriving. I don't know what to do. I've tried multiple weed killers and it doesn't seem to fully work.

I'm almost willing to kill it all, rake it up, put down new dirt and growing new good grass. However, since I live on the windward side I'm worried the new soil will be corroded by the heavy rains.

What's your advice/suggestion?

Mahalo!
    Sounds to me like you need to Round-Up everything numerous times (during the dry season) and replant after all the seeds have stopped sprouting. Try to find something that tends to choke out weeds (Amazoy is unavailable in Hawai`i as far as I know), but get advice from one of the better Garden shops (like Ko`olau Farmers).
    If you need labor help, I've had good luck and low prices from Habilitat, Inc. (235-3691) and from RAM (Rehabilitation Addiction Ministries) run by the Windward Baptist Church (239-6917).

I had a ¼ acre covered with 'cat's claw' vines: Round-up, wait, burn, wait, sprout, round-up again, wait, replant. Now covered with tropical gingers.

Oh, and Glaber ants.....
    Last edited by Kaonohi; June 18, 2009, 11:31 AM. Reason: Moi? Editing??
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Wow! I'm glad this thread is here.

K-den. My problem. Well, our problem. DH and mine.

Our yard is a mess. A TOTAL MESS.

I no kid you.

Weeds and po'ke po'ke every place you turn. There's no grass.

Sad. I need someone to help us get back this yard into a yard.

Pretty Plezzzzzzzzzz.

Price negotiable.

Please PM me.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

There was a thread about lawns a while back....

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=16000

If you scroll down to post #22, you'll see how I cheated.

Comment

I can send you some of the rabbits that keep eating my flower beds if you want. A few days, and all that will be taken care of.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Working...
          X