Father's Day 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father's Day 2009

Thought I'd get this one rolling this year - anyone got special plans?

We've got nothing on the agenda; then again, my own father's been gone for 16 years, and my 28-year-old daughter lives 2000 miles east of me.

Re: Father's Day 2009

Just my annual "place a lei in the ocean in memory of my dad" tradition...(minus the string, of course!)

Comment

What a great thread for father's day. My dad passed away many years ago but I have one son and three girls (All doctors, except the baby who is 19 and resiting exams - she has the concentration of a fruit fly So no Idea what she has set her heart on to be,,,,,,, still she is so funny.)

Father's day for me brought e-mal cards which I have printed out and they are all around my PC.

Comment

My thoughts this morning were of my dad and my late husband who are both in heaven now. Two men whom I love very much and think of every day. I thought of my children who can't call and say "Happy Father's Day." And those who don't for reasons of their own or simply to stupid to forget to call.

Happy Father's Day PK and Happy Father's Day to all Father's One and All!

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

First and foremost, Happy Dad's Day to everyone out there!

We are just taking it easy and my husband is doing little things around the house--but he is mostly kicking back. Later on I will fix BBQ ribs and a salad, and we are all planning to watch "Gran Torino".

I went out to visit my dad's gravesite this morning (both he and Mom are there), place flowers, and thank God for giving me the best of fathers!

Have a lovely day, everyone...

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            Thought I'd get this one rolling this year - anyone got special plans?
            No special plan. Had to do it one day earlier since the flower shop here won't open on Father's Day Sunday (not too many people would buy flowers for their fathers, I guess).

Went to his grave, laid some floral arrangement down on it, clean it up and water it down, say a prayer and have a conversation with him.
            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I am one of the fortunate ones, I talked to my Dad via telephone last night. He is 91 but lives almost 2000 miles away. His voice was bright and clear. He did tell me 4 times that he went over to my sister's house for BBQ that day. But hey, my philosophy is that if it is worth repeating, it is worth repeating three times!

Hey, did I tell you all that I talked to my Dad on the telephone last night?
              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Matapule, you are one of the lucky ones to be able to still enjoy your father's company long into adulthood. My dad's been gone for 24 years this month - he died the week before Father's Day. I have long regretted that when he suddenly left us I was at my worst age - a 19 year-old kid who thought he knew it all and didn't need his parents' advice. Though not religious, I like to think that he's still watching over me and my family, and is proud of the man I've become and the beautiful grandchildren who he'll never know.

I began my Father's Day by taking my three year-old to her swimming lesson, then picked up my wife and baby for the trip to my mom's for lunch with the extended family. I unexpectedly found myself welling up when watching US Open golf coverage with a feature on the late Payne Stewart's son. I remember well when Payne won the '98 Open months before his death and joyfully congratulated Phil Mickelson on the 18th green on his impending fatherhood. My dad wasn't a golfer, but that doesn't matter - he's still in my "dream foursome."

Similarly, there was a special Father's Day set on the radio the other day and I found myself driving in tears when for the first time really listening to the lyrics of Paul Simon's "Father and Daughter":

I'm gonna watch you shine
                Gonna watch you grow
                Gonna paint a sign
                So you'll always know
                As long as one and one is two
                There could never be a father
                Who loved his daughter more than I love you

I miss my dad, but take comfort in his memories and aspire to be remembered as he still is; very simply, a good man. And I also revel in the joy of being a father to my precious little girls. Both of these can make me water up just thinking about them, as I've already done a couple times when composing this post. So it's clear that Father's Day is a very emotional occasion for me, but a happy one.

Apologies for the rambling. Happy belated Father's Day.
                Last edited by NoCal Boy; June 22, 2009, 12:50 PM. Reason: Can't spell today

Comment

Originally posted by NoCal Boy View Post
                  Matapule, you are one of the lucky ones to be able to still enjoy your father's company long into adulthood. My dad's been gone for 24 years this month - he died the week before Father's Day. I have long regretted that when he suddenly left us I was at my worst age - a 19 year-old kid who thought he knew it all and didn't need his parents' advice. Though not religious, I like to think that he's still watching over me and my family, and is proud of the man I've become and the beautiful grandchildren who he'll never know.

I began my Father's Day by taking my three year-old to her swimming lesson, then picked up my wife and baby for the trip to my mom's for lunch with the extended family. I unexpectedly found myself welling up when watching US Open golf coverage with a feature on the late Payne Stewart's son. I remember well when Payne won the '98 Open months before his death and joyfully congratulated Phil Mickelson on the 18th green on his impending fatherhood. My dad wasn't a golfer, but that doesn't matter - he's still in my "dream foursome."

Similarly, there was a special Father's Day set on the radio the other day and I found myself driving in tears when for the first time really listening to the lyrics of Paul Simon's "Father and Daughter":

I'm gonna watch you shine
                  Gonna watch you grow
                  Gonna paint a sign
                  So you'll always know
                  As long as one and one is two
                  There could never be a father
                  Who loved his daughter more than I love you

I miss my dad, but take comfort in his memories and aspire to be remembered as he still is; very simply, a good man. And I also revel in the joy of being a father to my precious little girls. Both of these can make me water up just thinking about them, as I've already done a couple times when composing this post. So it's clear that Father's Day is a very emotional occasion for me, but a happy one.

Apologies for the rambling. Happy belated Father's Day.

Close your eyes and smile feller and he will always be there. You don't lose sombody you love. Instead you learn to live without them.

Barry

Comment

Working...
                  X