RIP - Ed McMahon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP - Ed McMahon

Ed McMahon at 85, has gone to collect his prize.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/en...d-at-Age-.html

Ed McMahon died at a hospital in Los Angeles this morning, his agent said.

The 85-year-old TV personality and former "Tonight Show" host died this morning at Ronald Regan UCLA Medical Center...

Re: RIP - Ed McMahon

Sorry to hear this. He and Johnny Carson had an incredible chemistry on the old Tonight Show, if ever comedians were naturals together, they were. He always projected a very pleasant personality, I hope he was as nice in real life as he was on TV.

Comment

hi,if you go to Starbulletin.com and you go to the obiturary section,on the left hand side,you'd find the story on the passing of Mr Ed Mcmahon so i thought to share this with everyone. Rip Mr Mcmahon.you and mr Johnny Carson were a great team and many happy memorie's when i watched him and mr carson from the early 70's so i as a fan know your family is taking it hard so i know you'll Rip.

Well thank's for your time

Comment

Be prepared for more loss...

It's being said that Walter Cronkite's resent illness has taken a significant
        turn for the worse.

Ed took a minimum of talents and made the most of them.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
          [...]He always projected a very pleasant personality, I hope he was as nice in real life as he was on TV.
          From my very limited, personal experience...he and I worked on one commercial together in the mid 1970s...Ed was a delight to work with. Enough so that I still remember it 35 years later. He and I had direct interaction (my job was to tell actors when they screwed up!!!) and he was kind, appreciative and humorous. Ed was also the consummate professional.

RIP, Ed. Your beer pouring skills were unparalleled!

Comment

Re: Be prepared for more loss...

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
            Ed took a minimum of talents and made the most of them.
            If by "minimum of talents," you mean that he didn't sing, dance, or do stand-up comedy, then I guess so.

But more than a few people would argue that Ed was much more than just Johnny Carson's sidekick. Some would say (and you can count me among them) that the big guy was an integral part of the Tonight Show, and that without him, Johnny would not have reigned as the king of late night talk/comedy for 30 years. For sure, the Tonight Show would not have been the same without him.

For all of his wit and charm, Johnny could be aloof and distant because of his shy nature. That was where Ed's outgoing and jovial personality really shined. He was like the "everyman" who helped to connect Johnny to his guests and the nationwide TV audience. Whether he was heartily laughing at a joke or playing along as a straight man in a comic routine, he was like one of us. But as important a role that he played on the Tonight Show, he never tried to steal the spotlight from Johnny. The chemistry that the two men had working together is something that is so rare in entertainment, and I don't think we realized just how special that relationship was until after their run on the Tonight Show ended.

If God ever needs an announcer/emcee in heaven, he's now got himself "the best."

RIP Ed. We'll miss ya.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

It takes one heckuva lot of talent to do what Ed did so well...host, spokesman, sidekick, straight man (timing is just as important to a straight man as it is to a comedian). I wonder how many accomplished actors, singers & dancers are talented at doing what Ed did. Not many, methinks!

I have a really offbeat analogy but I'll use it anyway! Ryan Seacrest! He's another one who is super talented at what he does...hosting. A great host makes it look effortless. Ed set the bar.

Comment

Ryan Seacrest is a good comparison. The older set might think about Dick Clark. And in fact, Ed and Dick co-hosted numerous TV Bloopers and Practical Jokes specials over the years.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

The Karnak episodes on You Tube still destroy me. Ed: The answer is: UCLA...Karnak opens the envelope and the question is, "What happens when the smog clears in Los Angeles?"

Comment

Ed McMahon was the best at being a second banana in a talk show. He could go solo too by being the host of Star Search. And he wasn't mean to the contestants like Simon.

Comment

Working...
                    X