Dragon Boat Festival/Ala Moana Sunset on the Beach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragon Boat Festival/Ala Moana Sunset on the Beach

Here's information for another FREE family event this weekend.

The Annual Dragon Boat Festival is being combined with the first-ever Sunset on the Beach held at Ala Moana Beach Park.

Sunset on the Beach will feature free outdoor movie screenings ("Ironman" on Friday and "Kung Fu Panda on Saturday), live entertainment, face-painting, a performance by the Royal Hawaiian Band, keiki inflatable rides, crafts, community booths, and food vendors.

The hours of the events are:

Friday, June 26:
    Sunset on the Beach, 3:30 to 10:00 p.m.
    "Ironman" to screen at 7:15 p.m.

Saturday, June 27:
    Dragon Boat Festival, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
    Sunset on the Beach, 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
    "Kung Fu Panda" to screen at 7:15 p.m.

Sunday, June 28:
    Dragon Boat Festival, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
    Sunset on the Beach, 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Dragon Boat Festival information is available at: http://www.idealhawaii.biz/dragonboa...?nc=6723&id=40

Hubby and I will paddle in our first ever dragon boat races! We're excited! Go Team VeloCITY!
    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Re: Dragon Boat Festival/Ala Moana Sunset on the Beach

Have fun in your race; best of luck... I hope there will be many photos of this event uploaded to our photo thread.... wish I could be there with you all; I will be in spirit!

barb

Comment

I just emailed this info to my daughter to show her what she's missing by not living here! Mean mommy...mean, mean mommy!

Comment

Thanks for posting this info!
        I'm off on Friday and will be there for some or all of it that day.
        Also Best of luck for your race and have fun!
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Have fun in your race; best of luck...
          being polynesian, i arrogantly thought i should be a natural at paddling since my ancestors have been getting around the pacific by canoe for a millenium but these are CHINESE dragon boats! i don't have any chinese ancestors! our one and only practice was REALLY hard! i kept hitting the guy sitting in front of me and splashing the folks behind me. luckily it's just for FUN!

i just emailed this info to my daughter to show her what she's missing by not living here!
          we really are so lucky to live in hawaii! here's some pix our kids took at practice. win or lose - being in the sun, out on that beautiful ocean on those magnificent dragon boats - i feel like a winner!

My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

I love dragon boat events. But the "Sunset on the Beach" is a nice bonus (with good movies!). But, I thought the "Sunset on the Beach" series was canceled outright by the city due to budget cuts?

Comment

The schedule for this year has already been set (although it is subject to change).

JULY
              Rediscover Oahu/Sunset at the Park in Makiki, July 24 & 25, Makiki District Park, contact Makiki Community Learning Center at 522-7076.

AUGUST
              NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) Walk, August 1, 9 a.m., Fasi Civic Center, contact Diane Fujio 591-1297.
              Rediscover Oahu/Sunset at the Park in Waianae, August 8 & 9, 11 a.m., Maili Beach Park, contact Denise Keliikoa 286-7869.

SEPTEMBER
              Rediscover Oahu/Sunset at the Park in Ewa, September 5 & 6, 10 a.m., Ewa Community Beach Park, contact John Dudoit 778-7652.

OCTOBER
              Children and Youth Day, October 4, 10 a.m., State Capitol and Fasi Civic Center, contact 586-6130.
              Waimanalo Country Fair, October 16, 6 p.m., October 17, Noon, & October 18, Noon, Waimanalo Beach Park, contact Andrew Jamilla, Jr. 259-7342.

NOVEMBER
              Laie Rediscover Oahu/Sunset on the Beach, November 6 & 7, Kokololiu Beach Park, contact 768-3888.

Windward City Lights, November 29, 6 p.m., Kaneohe Fire Station, at 45-910 Kamehameha Highway and Kaneohe Police Station, contact 768-3710.

DECEMBER
              Honolulu City Lights Opening Ceremony, December 5, 6 p.m., Honolulu Hale, 530 South King Street, contact 768-3710.
              Honolulu City Lights Public Workers Electric Light Parade, December 5, 6 p.m., on King Street from River Street to Kawaiahao Street, contact 768-3499.
              Kapolei City Lights, December 12, 6 p.m., Kapolei Hale, 1001 Uluohia Street, contact 768-3888.

The events listed above are co-sponsored by the City and put on by the City's Customer Services Department. You'll note I don't have the Sunset on the Beach events in Waikiki listed as those are run by the Waikiki Improvement Association (although also co-sponsored by the City). Their website is: http://www.waikikiimprovement.com/eventspage.html
              Refer to the City website for the most up-to-date calendar of events run by the City's Customer Services Department. http://www.honolulu.gov/csd/publicco...ntcalendar.htm

Comment

But, I thought the "Sunset on the Beach" series was canceled outright by the city due to budget cuts?
                Due to the current economic situation, the usual $450 per team dragon boat fees were waived thanks to grants and private donations.

From the City's press release about the Dragon Boat Festival/Sunset on the Beach - quote from Mayor Hannemann... "We have merged this exciting competition with a family activity and want everyone to join us. In this economic climate, we realize it's not easy to raise or collect enough money for entry fees, so we have eliminated the fees. The Sunset program is also free, so this is an opportunity for families to spend time together and enjoy a movie at a fun event without spending a lot of money."

For the rest of this year, the City is going to continue to give us the opportunity to enjoy FREE events.

Comment

It was a fun day and our team made it to the championship round for the City but we were so exhausted (well, I was!) we finished third. Not a bad effort!

There are pix on the Advertiser website.

http://honolulu.metromix.com/events/...284792/content

Comment

Thank you for posting the photos. It looked like a great time was had by all.

sb

Comment

Working...
                    X