HARI MATARIKI! Happy Maori New Year!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HARI MATARIKI! Happy Maori New Year!

The rise of the cluster of stars known to Maori as Matariki (mata = eyes, ariki = gods, in other parts of the world the constellation is called Pleiades, the Seven Sisters, Subaru or Makali'i) signals the end of the old year and the arrival of the new year and is celebrated throughout Aotearoa and other parts of the South Pacific on the first new moon - this year on June 24.

Matariki is our Aotearoa Pacific New Year. Here in Hawaii, Kanaka Maoli celebrate the same event (Makahiki) in November.

During Matariki, we celebrate our unique place in the world. We give respect to the land and admiration to our mother earth, Papatūānuku.

Throughout Matariki, we learn about those who came before us. Our history, our family, our bones.

Matariki signals growth. It's a time of change. It's a time to prepare, and a time of action. During Matariki, we acknowledge what we have and what we have to give.

Matariki celebrates the diversity of life. It's a celebration of culture, language, spirit and people.
    Last edited by kiwidiva; June 24, 2009, 11:14 PM.
    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Re: HARI MATARIKI! Happy Maori New Year!

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
    The rise of the cluster of stars known to Maori as Matariki (mata = eyes, ariki = gods, in other parts of the world the constellation is called Pleiades, the Seven Sisters, Subaru or Makali'i) signals the end of the old year and the arrival of the new year and is celebrated throughout Aotearoa and other parts of the South Pacific on the first new moon - this year on June 24.

Matariki is our Aotearoa Pacific New Year. Here in Hawaii, Kanaka Maoli celebrate the same event (Makahiki) in November.

During Matariki, we celebrate our unique place in the world. We give respect to the land and admiration to our mother earth, Papatūānuku.

Throughout Matariki, we learn about those who came before us. Our history, our family, our bones.

Matariki signals growth. It's a time of change. It's a time to prepare, and a time of action. During Matariki, we acknowledge what we have and what we have to give.

Matariki celebrates the diversity of life. It's a celebration of culture, language, spirit and people.
    I couldn't touch a word of your beautiful text.

HARI MATARIKI! Though our new beginnings be months apart due to longitude and latitude, we are one. The honua spins beneath us.

K.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Re: HARI MATARIKI! Happy Maori New Year!

Kiwidiva - Thank you for your lovely post and great picture.
      Many happy returns of the year to you! LL

Comment

Working...
      X