KC Drive Inn closing down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KC Drive Inn closing down

Saturday's (July 24) Advertiser has an article that says that KC Drive Inn on Kapahulu is closing down. It didn't say when it will close down.

For me it's been a long time since I have been there. Like the peanut butter shakes that they served.

Re: KC Drive Inn closing down

I am originally from Japan and have been living here since April last year. Really wanted to go to KC Drive-Inn at least once but couldn't make it. My husband says he used to go there after hours......in 1980s. After crusing around "disco" back then, he and his sidekicks rushed to KC and chit-chatted for a while. Did you guys have the similar experiences? huh......

Comment

say it aint so?!?! Is this true? I'm going to be really heartbroken if it is, this place is one of my boyfriend's really fond childhood memories and one of the first places I went to when he took me to see where he grew up. I don't want to have to tell him it's gone before he goes back again

Comment

Excuse me, but there was a thread regarding the closing of KC drive-inn when Wisteria announced they were closing too. Same owners. the same time Mini Garden was announced that they were moving out of Chinatown. Remember?
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

That is sad to hear. I have fond memories of taking the bus with my grandma and going there for a chocolate shake.
          * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
          - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
            Excuse me, but there was a thread regarding the closing of KC drive-inn when Wisteria announced they were closing too. Same owners. the same time Mini Garden was announced that they were moving out of Chinatown. Remember?
            That was this thread, from December. It was a more general "places we love are closing" discussion which devolved into a "what's wrong with Hawaii's business climate" debate. This KC Drive Inn thread was KC specific, at least, and came first (in July) in any case.

Back on topic, isn't KC Drive Inn still open? I thought they were going to keep it going at least until they sold the Kapahulu property. It seemed open the last time I drove past, at least.

Comment

I just talked to Dayton at KC Drive-Inn...they are still OPEN. Mmmmmm, Waffle Hot Dogs and Ono shakes! They don't know when the projected date of closing.

Comment

pzarquon, thank you for referencing the thread the discussion about KC was in. My first time on this forum today and didn't think to look there.
                I'm in washington state so I can't really drive by and check and was having a hard time finding the phone number online, was just going to call when i hit refresh and saw that 1stwahine posted it was still open.
                Good to know I can tell my boyfriend KC will be around for at least a little while longer. Thank you everyone

Comment

Welcome and Aloha JOYFUL GIRL!

Comment

Re: another one bites the dust

KC Drive-Inn closes it's doors today @ 3:00 pm. (thanx Miulang for the inf.)

I will miss the waffle hot dogs and their ono pork cutlet/gravy!

I fondly remember their Drive-Inn at the entrace to Waikiki when I was a very little girl.hehehehe So far back that I remember the waitresses skating on roller blades and carrying them huge addmacallits to the windows to put the orders on. Ahh, dem good old days! Aloha oe' KC Drive Inn...

another one bites the dust.

Comment

Today is the last day they will be open. The doors will close for good at 3pm. The property was on the market and is now in escrow though I don't know who is buying it. It's pretty much a guarantee the new owners will be building something new.

Comment

as with the many others, the reasons for closing are the rising costs of doing business, and the growing competition from big corporate fastfood chains..

sooo sad.
                        tooo bad.

Comment

KC Drive Inn set to serve its last waffle hot dogs today
                          Nelson Daranciang, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, Saturday, March 26, 2005
                          There was no big announcement, no fanfare, just a notice on a yellow 8 1/2-by-11-inch sheet of paper taped to the glass door of the Kapahulu restaurant and another one above the takeout counter. KC Drive Inn is closing its doors at 3 p.m. today. The notice also thanks customers for their more than 70 years of patronage. It went up Tuesday... Asato said the property will be sold and is in escrow, and his father, aunts and uncles wanted to close the restaurant by April and retire. He even stopped ordering some food and supplies, and worries he might run out early.
                          KC Drive Inn serves last meal today after storied 70-year run
                          Catherine E. Toth, Honolulu Advertiser, Saturday, March 26, 2005
                          The Asato family, owners of the restaurant, put the 20,000-square-foot property on the corner of Kapahulu and Harding avenues up for sale last year for $3.25 million. The property is currently in escrow. The family would not disclose buyer or sale price... In December 2004, the Asato family also closed The Wisteria, another landmark restaurant on the corner of King and Pi'ikoi streets. It had been serving customers for 52 years.

Comment

Sad... yeah I'm gonna miss the waffledogs too. When I was dorming at UH in the 80s it was either KC or Grace's (when it was just past Isenberg.. that one).

Comment

Ate my last waffle hot dog last week. I should have eaten more -- I'm really going to miss KC.

It's sad how all the old familiar places just keep disappearing.

They bring back so many memories!

Comment

Working...
                              X