This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wal-Mart on Keeaumoku

Saturday's (July 24) Advertiser reported that more bones were found on the Wal-Mart site on Keeaumoku Street during July. No idea if the find is going to delay the opening of Wal-Mart in middle to late October.

Re: Wal-Mart on Keeaumoku

I thought they were done with digging?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Bones, bones. It's a cinch the original owner of those bones don't care. I don't know why people are making such a fuss about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert
        Bones, bones. It's a cinch the original owner of those bones don't care. I don't know why people are making such a fuss about it.
        Gee, Albert, How can you say that?
        That is not a very nice thing to say.
        Bones are sacred. They are not just
        something you can toss out into a garbage,
        & say, it's no big deal, & just move on.
        They probably have to find the next of kin,
        have another proper burial, or something.
        Perhaps, it could have been a burial plot
        or an old hawaiin burial plot. who knows.
        Maybe it was an old burial plot that they
        failed to mention to anyone, so that they
        could build a business on top of it.
        Not very comforting, I think.
        It seems like everyone is out to
        just make a buck, regardless
        of what or who they destroy.
        Aches & Pains
        (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

"Bones are sacred."

Rubbish.

What do you do with your chicken bones after you've eaten all the meat off them? Throw them in the trash? Down the garbage disposal? You think man's bones are more important than chicken ones?

Bones are NOT "sacred".

If the descendants of these humans whose bones were found at the Wal-Mart site cared so much, why didn't they maintain it as a cemetery?

Comment

If they were building the Wal-Mart on former forest or sugar cane area I can understand that it could a Hawaiian graveyard. However that area had buildings since the 1960's or so, maybe as early as the 1950's.

Comment

Been noticing that the lights in the parking structure at this Wal-Mart has been on at nights.

And there are ready to setup traffic lights at the intersection of Keeaumoku and Kanunu Streets.

Comment

When I lived on Keeaumoku, I so looked forward to this store, although of course no one is looking forward to the traffic. As they clean it up and put in the finishing touches, it's not quite as monstrous as I think most folks feared. The setback from Keeaumoku isn't bad, after all, and with some of those subtenants and their storefronts, it looks less like a Borg Cube and more like... well, another big monument to capitalism.

Comment

I can't wait for the grand opening to this monument of capitalism.

You know, Keeaumoku Street will be slightly widened along the entire perimeter of the Walmart storefront. The sidewalk is/has been rebuilt some feet back where the original sidewalk was, and the ugly utility poles will be removed. A big benefit is the added traffic signal on Kanunu Street near LikeLike Drive-in restaurant.

There is no doubt that traffic will be horrendous once the store is open. I don't mind it. I'd rather see the site being put into good, productive use than having it lay fallow for so many years as it once was.

The store is slated for an October opening which is only like 7 or 8 weeks away.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                    I can't wait for the grand opening to this monument of capitalism.

You know, Keeaumoku Street will be slightly widened along the entire perimeter of the Walmart storefront. The sidewalk is/has been rebuilt some feet back where the original sidewalk was, and the ugly utility poles will be removed. A big benefit is the added traffic signal on Kanunu Street near LikeLike Drive-in restaurant.

There is no doubt that traffic will be horrendous once the store is open. I don't mind it. I'd rather see the site being put into good, productive use than having it lay fallow for so many years as it once was.

The store is slated for an October opening which is only like 7 or 8 weeks away.
                    I went into a Wal-Mart Super Center on the mainland.It totally blew
                    me away. The supermarket side of the store gives Safeway etc a
                    run for its money. The Honolulu store will have Sams Club too as
                    far as I understand. So that means even more people will be coming
                    there.
                    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

There's a supercenter in my mom's neighborhood in Florida, and I have to say, as much as their business practices bug me, I LOVE the supercenter. I love them almost as much as I love Target. My only regret about moving from Makiki to Mililani is that I can't go to the Wal-Mart as often as I'd like. We have a Wal-mart in Mililani, but it's not quite the same.

Comment

I was wondering, how old do you have to be to be a member of Sam's Club?

Since my college is near there, my Mom is probably gonna ask me to stop by and get some things (or get somethings before school starts).

And who rides the bus and shops at Sam's Club? I won't be buying the 50lbs of rice and carry it home on TheBus, but I just want to know what you're experiences are like (and sorry about the threadjack).
                        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I get the same problem the other way around since Costco is across the street from where I work. Not that I am hauling 50 pounds of rice on the bus.

As far as the age limit to use Sam's Club, I have no idea. In fact I have no idea on the membership fee but it can wait until it opens.

Comment

Well, whatever you people do, be careful with perscriptions

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/news/081...ion_Error.html

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                              Saturday's (July 24) Advertiser reported that more bones were found on the Wal-Mart site on Keeaumoku Street during July. No idea if the find is going to delay the opening of Wal-Mart in middle to late October.

This is the thing Hawaii "government" should be the most embarrassed about. but of course they wont be;
                              allowing america's worst corporate citizen with the worst record in every aspect of business into the heart of Honolulu.

The monolithic mausoleum dead center in our honolulu, with no setback built right up to the sidewalk.

the decimation it will have on long established businesses in town.

The iwi kupuna problem.
                              ...too many who should know better say things like: " we make too much out of a bunch of old bones and rock, after all that's exactly what it is." That may be the case, to that person, but it is sadly, pathetically typical ethnocentric myopia.
                              As far as the treatment of bones is concerned; The apathy foreigners have toward their ancestors is not universal. Heiau are sacred to Hawaiians, as are kupuna iwi; bones of ancestors, and the lessons, memory and ways of those that have gone before. And no one should ever forget it is your place to respect the traditions and what is important to the presevation of the host culture.

The destruction of the religious ways of the indigenous culture of these islands is one of the most evil things perpetrated by America. The destruction of this land, just because it is happening slowly and is almost unnoticeable, doesn't mean it should be accepted.

Comment

Working...
                              X