Hello from Pennsylvania

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Pennsylvania

Hello everyone! I wanted to introduce myself, I am a teacher in Pennsylvania and I am looking into moving back to Hawaii. My husband and I were stationed on Oahu in the Coast Guard in the 1990's, and were both miserable after we left Sand Island for the mainland. We were living in the barracks on base, so I know that it will be much different being part of the community. We loved the weather, the attitude of the people, the cuisine, but also understand some of the drawbacks as well.

We have been trying to find a way to move back ever since the plane landed in 1995. My husband is currently attending Penn State and would transfer to UH if I get a job. I am planning a trip to the Big Island in October for an initial interview for a teaching position. Does anyone have any advice about teaching in Hawaii? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

Re: Hello from Pennsylvania

We need teachers here badly - but don't expect to get paid very much. BOE took big hits budget wise this next 2 years due to bad economy here. and we have a governator that is just slashing everything. where would your husband be going to school if you are teaching on the big island?

good luck to you!
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I looked up the pay scale online, and it doesn't seem too bad for the area. Teaching isn't a job for someone looking to get rich, but I will be happy with being able to live modestly. Has it been changed recently? Pay is always a tough question to ask in an interview, but something you need to know when considering relocating. Thank you for the heads up.

My husband is looking into transfering to UH in Hilo if I can get a job on the big island, otherwise UH on Oahu. He just started college last fall, so he is still undecided on a major and is going to school to try and figure out what he wants to be when he "grows up" (he is 34).

Comment

Welcome to HT, lilr3. You're a giant step ahead of most people who visit HT looking for advice on moving to Hawaii. You've lived here before so probably well understand the economics of it. My only thought about your interview on the Big Island is should you be offered a job in Kona, that's quite a long commute to Hilo for your husband. Good luck with dream of moving back.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          should you be offered a job in Kona, that's quite a long commute to Hilo for your husband.
          I am glad that you mentioned this. I haven't really looked into how long commutes would be from different locations. We are both pretty flexible, and are just looking into all of our options. We have some experience with online course, and that may be an option for him as well. Mostly it would depend on where I would be teaching.

Comment

I am wishing you luck. Now a retired teacher. I tried to bridge the gap between Rembrandt and 3D in Liverpool. (Guess who failed as an Art Teacher ?)
            Please keep your ideals,,, spread your love and sensibility through your charges.

Comment

Working...
            X