Emergency Preparedness Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency Preparedness Kit

Being in the thick of an active hurricane season in the Pacific (June to November), here's a thread to share what you have or have yet to get as part of your household Emergency Preparedness Kit.

As a good starting point, NOAA recommends the following:

• Water - at least 1 gallon daily per person for 3 to 7 days
    • Food - at least enough for 3 to 7 days:
    — non-perishable packaged or canned food / juices
    — foods for infants or the elderly
    — snack foods
    — non-electric can opener
    — cooking tools / fuel
    — paper plates / plastic utensils
    • Blankets / Pillows, etc.
    • Clothing - seasonal / rain gear/ sturdy shoes
    • First Aid Kit / Medicines / Prescription Drugs
    • Special Items - for babies and the elderly
    • Toiletries / Hygiene items / Moisture wipes
    • Flashlight / Batteries
    • Radio - Battery operated and NOAA weather radio
    • Telephones - Fully charged cell phone with extra battery and a traditional (not cordless) telephone set
    • Cash (with some small bills) and Credit Cards - Banks and ATMs may not be available for extended periods
    • Keys
    • Toys, Books and Games
    • Important documents - in a waterproof container or watertight resealable plastic bag:
    — insurance, medical records, bank account numbers, Social Security card, etc.
    • Tools - keep a set with you during the storm
    • Vehicle fuel tanks filled
    • Pet care items:
    — proper identification / immunization records / medications
    — ample supply of food and water
    — a carrier or cage
    — muzzle and leash

Yet there's probably a few other things you might add to that list. Like oh, say, booze? lol Or how about that fully-charged Nintendo DS or PSP? Better yet, how about a portable generator?

What non-perishable foods do you personally like to have ready in case of an emergency? In Hawaii, the #1 sellers' gotta' be SPAM, Pork and Beans, Vienna Sausage and saimin (ramen). lol

There's a really neat and what I think ESSENTIAL new product I heard about from a recent news broadcast with Red Cross Hawaii. I'll share that one in another post.

Another great resource for emergency tips is this Emergency Preparedness Handbook from HECO. (<---download the PDF of the entire handbook at that link)
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Emergency Preparedness Kit

We are buying several of these at work, for use in case of earthquake or other event. Small - but better than nothing.

Comment

Since I don't have a safe deposit box, I added a CD with scans of important documents and $100. cash. Both are sealed in vacuum packaging...exactly why, I don't know! That kit is meant to stay next to me in the event of evacuation! Guess I just needed a reason to use my Tilia Foodsaver!

Comment

Re: Emergency Preparedness Kit - WaterBOB

Leo, that's pretty cool how everything's included in one handy-dandy kit. As you said, it's small (limited), but better than nothing!

That neat new product I mentioned earlier as suggested by the Red Cross is called a WaterBOB.

It's a 100 gallon plastic "bladder" that displaces itself in your bathtub. You fill it up via your bathtub spout through a 'snout' that's connected to the bladder. Water is dispensed via an integrated siphon pump on top. With that, you'll have fresh, potable drinking water for up to 4 weeks. Also great to have for flushing the toilet.

WaterBOB. Genius! I'm getting one for sure!
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I saw the WaterBob for the first time on TV the other night. Very cool. However I wonder if I could've used in a condo during the lengthy Dec. 26-27 power outage? My guess is it works only for disasters with warning. Emptying it looks to be time consuming. Still, I'll get one. Thx for the link, Pomai.

ETA: Well...P*O*O*P! There's a $25. delivery surcharge to Hawaii and they don't take DiscoverCard; the only card I use online. I'm gonna have to work around those obstacles!
          Last edited by tutusue; August 8, 2009, 06:49 PM.

Comment

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...light=pandemic

I'm always happy to dust off and bring out this old favorite.
            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm headed to Don Quijote/Daiei/Holiday Mart lol to pick up more butane canisters for my portable stove. I ended up using the ones I had for emergency preparedness making Yakiniku dinners at home. Good stuff!

Those butane canisters last a long time, too. Easily more than an hour on the highest heat setting. For around a buck each, pretty good deal.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
              X