PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Dew

helen
April 27th, 2004, 11:35 PM
Been seeing the TV commericals that Mountain Dew Livewire will be out this summer. This is orange favored version.

While I tend to go for the regular Mountain Dew, the others versions are okay, my co-workers who drink it tend to go for Mountain Dew - Code Red.

This is a bummer, I can't add a poll after I post it.

Looks like you can after all.

Timster
April 28th, 2004, 03:04 AM
I can drink GALLONS of Mountain Dew!

I voted for the ORIGINAL! The others are just....uncivilized.

Glen Miyashiro
April 28th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Diet Dew does it for me. Back last year when they were promoting MD Code Red, they even had Diet Code Red - now that, I really liked! I haven't seen it since, though. :confused:

helen
April 28th, 2004, 07:33 PM
I haven't checked the Mountain Dew web site for about a year now but according to it they also offer a Caffeine Free version of Mountain Dew but it seems that it is not sold in Hawaii. And even before that someone who used to be from Hawaii but lived in Canada at the time said that they have it there.

Serenity
July 14th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Man...............What a thread.......
I use to drink this stuff all the time (long time ago) ,24 oz. at a time,
untill it started to make my teeth ache!.
In fact, it triggered a tooth ache so much,
that I had to have a root canal & a gold tooth cover for it.
I think it was all that sugar contents that was in it.
So I stoped drinking the darn thing,
Sorry gang. un fortunately,
I think I have neglected to mention that to my best friend,
& she gave me a one litter bottle when she visited me last,
& I think it took me a month & a half or so to finish it.
Thank goodness it's gone.
(I'm not in a habbit of waisting someone's offer/gift given to me.)

Aloha & Take care.
:)

adrian
July 14th, 2004, 09:31 AM
I like the original one. But I don't drink as much, because I can detect when something has too much sugar. And since when they have a "diet" Mountain Dew?

Kilinahe
July 14th, 2004, 04:31 PM
I was surprised to learn on TV that Mountain Dew actually contains a splash of orange juice. You can taste it if you're looking for it.

helen
July 14th, 2004, 11:12 PM
And since when they have a "diet" Mountain Dew?

At least 10 years or more.

Albert
July 15th, 2004, 12:49 PM
I don't think I have ever tasted Mountain Dew in any version, but I do use their bottles to disguise beer when I'm drinking it in places I shouldn't be.
:)

makepagirl
August 6th, 2004, 07:40 PM
if i drink soft drinks its original dew!!but,i'm with serenity,can't anymore cause my teeth..my other 1/2 loves the diet dew tho..i have bags &bags of all those orange caps he saves 4 all the contests..when they had the contest about winning free basketball jerseys was pretty cool.all we had to do was log online,then mail cap in &got the prize within 2 weeks...he won about 10 of em!!

808_m3
August 13th, 2004, 07:14 AM
I was surprised to learn on TV that Mountain Dew actually contains a splash of orange juice. You can taste it if you're looking for it.

Mountain dew also contains brominated vegetable (http://www.sdreader.com/php/ma_show.php?id=072999A) oil. That's an odd ingredient in a soft drink...

helen
August 14th, 2004, 10:07 AM
True but what gets me is what is listed as other natural flavors after the orange juice. There is more of that than the brominated vegetable oil.

Karen
August 14th, 2004, 02:57 PM
I don't drink sodas regularly, but often enough to not keep what I REALLY like in the house. I drank Vanilla diet coke, being of the Coke generation, till I tried Vanilla Diet Pepsi when my coke wasn't available, and wow, I like the vanilla diet pepsi better. Seems the vanilla flavor is stronger with the Pepsi version, but I don't like plain Pepsi better than plain Coke. When running errands, and I want a caffeine pickerupper (g) it's nice to have a taste that I enjoy, quickly available.

helen
August 25th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Managed to drink a bottle of Mountain Dew today that was expired two weeks ago. It was okay unlike the time a friend who gave me a can of Diet Coke that the freshness date expired 6 months before.

craigwatanabe
August 27th, 2004, 08:27 AM
back in the 70's in Idaho, "Doing the Dew" meant taking a piss so I cannot imagine why one would want to associate their soft drink with urine. Hmmm it kinda does look like piss and drinking enough of Mountain Dew (Deer Piss) can make you want to urinate.

"Doing the Dew" probably came from the Texas term, "Shakin the dew off the lilly" which basically meant the same as taking a piss.

Then there's Coors beer made with Rocky Mountain Water. That phrase later evolved into Rocky Mountain Piss Water. So you got Mountain Piss water and you got Mountain Dew (water) (piss) So Doing the Dew to me makes as much sense of pissing than anything else.

So go ahead, Do the Dew either way you'll be pissing it out anyway. :eek:

craigwatanabe
August 27th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Managed to drink a bottle of Mountain Dew today that was expired two weeks ago. It was okay unlike the time a friend who gave me a can of Diet Coke that the freshness date expired 6 months before.

Ever look at the label on bottled water? It too has a freshness date. Hmmm since when does water spoil?

helen
August 31st, 2004, 10:55 PM
While getting my bus pass from Foodland on Monday I noticed that they are selling a new version of Mountain Dew called Pitch Black (or was that Pitched Black). I didn't buy it but the front label says it is grape flavor.

pzarquon
September 1st, 2004, 08:13 AM
Apparently "Pitch Black" will only be available for 10 weeks, ending with Halloween (with promotions that tie the color to the spooky holiday). Check out the official site (http://www.mountaindew.com/pitchblack/).

From BevNet (http://www.bevnet.com/reviews/mountain_dew_pitch_black/):
Mountain Dew Pitch Black combines the great taste of Mountain Dew with a blast of black grape flavor. It follows in the footsteps of Mountain Dew LiveWire, which grew the Mountain Dew trademark more than 10% during its inaugural six-month run in 2003. Building on that successful strategy, Mountain Dew Pitch Black will capitalize on excitement leading up to Halloween with a shorter, 10-week on-shelf stretch beginning August 21. In addition to Mountain Dew Pitch Black's spooky package graphics and in-store displays, a theatre commercial - parodying "B" horror movies - will support the new brand in 4,000 movie theatres. Additional marketing support includes an Internet "Dewsletter" and product sampling at General Growth Properties malls and at this week's ESPN X Games in Los Angeles. Mountain Dew Pitch Black will be available in 20-oz bottles, 2-liter bottles and 12-packs of 12-ounce cans. Note the line about General Growth Properties malls. That means you might be able to spot sample giveaways at Ala Moana, Ward Center and Prince Kuhio in Hilo.

Glen Miyashiro
September 1st, 2004, 09:35 AM
Pitch Black sounds pretty good. So they've got orange-flavored Mountain Dew (LiveWire), cherry (Code Red), and now grape (Pitch Black). What's next... cola-flavored? :D

j3rr3y
September 1st, 2004, 02:04 PM
mountain dew is sick... tastes like hell and gives me a headache.... so yeah, i voted that i dont drink it.

helen
September 1st, 2004, 08:06 PM
Pitch Black sounds pretty good. So they've got orange-flavored Mountain Dew (LiveWire), cherry (Code Red), and now grape (Pitch Black). What's next... cola-flavored? :D
Taco Bell is selling Mountain Dew Baja Blast. It is a lime favored drink. When I got dinner from the Ala Moana Taco Bell, that fountain selection was unavailable.

helen
September 2nd, 2004, 08:49 PM
Tried the Baja Blast today. It tasted okay but it has sky blue coloring to it.

helen
September 4th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Before I forget I did try Pitch Black a few days ago (before the Baja Blast) it too was okay.

pzarquon
September 5th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Had my first Code Red yesterday (my daughter hit the wrong button on the vending machine). It tastes like "sprunch" -- the ever popular Sprite and fruit punch mix. But, well, with caffeine.

helen
August 30th, 2005, 11:17 PM
Overheard a 7-11 TV commerical saying that Mountain Dew Pitch Black 2 is available. Don't know what's the difference.

kupomog
August 31st, 2005, 12:35 AM
Pitch Black II tastes a bit sour unlike regular Pitch Black. Like drinking "Sour Patch Kids," I suppose.

For me, regular Mountain Dew is good, I prefer it over most soda. Livewire is great, even if it's just orange soda. Pitch Black is just awesome, even if it's just grape soda...I drank almost a whole case by myself when we had that for the first time. Love those three the most.

Pitch Black II is okay with that "sour bite," I can stomach it if I'm forced to. However...leaves a bad aftertaste in my mouth and I have to drink tons of water to get rid of that overly-mucousy feeling (can't really describe it). I'd rather just stick with Pitch Black (or Livewire/regular).

I've been drinking a lot of Livewire lately, though. I'd say that one is my favorite.

toeknee
August 31st, 2005, 09:52 AM
Guess I'm old fashioned. I like the original, though I can't say I've had one in awhile. By the way, what would be the point of caffeine free dew? I mean, without the buzz, why bother?

helen
August 31st, 2005, 10:46 AM
I guess for those who like the taste of Mountain Dew but need to reduce the amount of caffeine intake. I know it's available in Canada but I haven't seen it in Hawaii.

WindwardGamer
August 31st, 2005, 02:02 PM
I was totally addicted to the stuff in the early- mid- eighties. Whenever I drink one now, for some reason they always taste flat compared to what I remember. Even when I pop the can it seems so dead, like a can of iced tea or juice. Maybe it's just a bad supplier for our workplace soda machine.. dunno just one of those mysteries... :confused:

Leo Lakio
September 20th, 2005, 11:52 AM
a Caffeine Free version of Mountain Dew

WHAT'S THE FREAKING POINT?!?!? Good lord, do they think I drink it for the flavor? (Actually, I do --- I got hooked on it as a Midwestern kid in the '60s.)

Leo Lakio
September 20th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Ever look at the label on bottled water? It too has a freshness date. Hmmm since when does water spoil?

Especially if they promote that it's been naturally filtered by bubbling through mountain rocks for millenia. Good thing it reached the surface when it did --- can you imagine how annoyed the water molecules would get if they didn't get out of the mountain rocks in time for their expiration date? ;) Maybe that's where we get "heavy" water.

tiptoetulip
September 20th, 2005, 09:57 PM
When I have had Mountain Dew in the past, it's been the regular stuff. Recently, I've had grape soda cravings. Don't know why, but getting maddeningly addicted to the stuff. 44 gr. of sugar...yikes! :p

adrian
September 21st, 2005, 07:56 AM
Moutain Dew Pitch Black tastes awful.

First of all, the color of the soda is purple, the foam's color is blue, and it tastes sour. It maybe good for Halloween, but not everytime of the year (oh, and Halloween is a month away, then Thanksgiving, then Xmas, then New Years... Where has the year gone by?)

kupomog
September 21st, 2005, 09:58 AM
Hmm, Pitch Black isn't supposed to be very sour, shouldn't be sour at all, in fact since it's just plain grape soda...but Pitch Black II is definitely the crappy sour one.

AbsolutChaos
October 29th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Give me the original neon-radioactive-colored Dew every time!

But...I finally DID try the Pitch Black II--and if forced to choose between that and the original Pitch Black, I prefer the former.

I don't like overly sweet and I hate "grape" flavored sodas (blech), so the Pitch Black II, with its sour and less grapey taste makes it more palatable to me.

AbsolutChaos
January 29th, 2006, 11:08 AM
From the "my trip to hawaii!!" thread:

wow. Absolut.
I NEED to know your brand of coffee!

All HT responses by Absolut Chaos are brought to you by Mountain Dew. When combined with a granola bar, it's the breakfast of champions!

One can a day keeps caffeine headache withdrawal at bay...

Coffee, blech. Can't drink the stuff unless there are liberal amounts of either amaretto or irish whiskey thown in.

kimo55
January 29th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Can't drink the stuff unless there are liberal amounts of either amaretto or irish whiskey thown in.
Stereotype! promulgating the wise, all-knowing India guru image once again!

(cuz that is exactly how one must enjoy java at eventide.)

bizzyb0t
February 2nd, 2006, 10:26 PM
I'm probably going to sound weird but I LOVE the taste of Mountain Dew! The good old fashioned original is always going to be my most favorite one (it's the only soda I can drink at room temperature).

BUT... Damn, I love the Mt. Dew: Livewire! That has go to be one of my most favorite sodas too. It reminds me of that soda Orange Crush, which before I moved here to TX, I hadn't seen in Hawaii in what seemd like ages! For those who say it's "just orange soda", I'd have to say, no wayz! It's great. Now that I'm in TX, I don't see Livewire anywhere :( I see Code Red going strong, but BLECH! It taste like fizzy Robitussin! As for the Pitch Black, I liked the first version OK... the second version just didn't do it for me... just was a bit too sour.

On a side note: I'm totally jazzed that there's Orange Crush in a bottle here! WooHoo! Sometimes you forget what old favorites are like eh?

Out here in TX, Dr Pepper is King of Soda but they call it "coke" because that doesn't mean Coca-Cola here... auwe!, so confusing this Dixie vernacular!

Ok, me stop rambling now, hehehe :D

Aloha,
Chris

Cameron
February 3rd, 2006, 05:55 AM
I must say there is nothing better than the DEW the original DEW that is. I have not cared for any of the offshoots especially their energy drink MDX its nasty

Glen Miyashiro
February 3rd, 2006, 07:14 AM
Out here in TX, Dr Pepper is King of Soda but they call it "coke" because that doesn't mean Coca-Cola here... auwe!, so confusing this Dixie vernacular!You should add a vote to the poll in our old Soda or Pop (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=1054) thread.

Doctor Pepper?!? Eeesh. :eek:

Leo Lakio
February 3rd, 2006, 07:48 AM
Out here in TX, Dr Pepper is King of Soda but they call it "coke" because that doesn't mean Coca-Cola here... auwe!, so confusing this Dixie vernacular!
That's always cracked me up when I visit certain parts of the South - I can order "coke" with a meal, and they ask "what flavor?" Of course, they mean "what kind of soda," because they refer to them generically as "coke."

But not everywhere in the South - they are very clear on "coke" meaning "Coca-Cola" in much of Georgia, since Atlanta is the home of Coca-Cola.

Hey, bizzyb0t --- do they have CheerWine around you in Texas? Sorta like a cherry Dr. Pepper. I get it in the Carolinas when I'm there.

AbsolutChaos
February 3rd, 2006, 01:16 PM
That's always cracked me up when I visit certain parts of the South - I can order "coke" with a meal, and they ask "what flavor?" Of course, they mean "what kind of soda," because they refer to them generically as "coke."

But not everywhere in the South - they are very clear on "coke" meaning "Coca-Cola" in much of Georgia, since Atlanta is the home of Coca-Cola.

Hey, bizzyb0t --- do they have CheerWine around you in Texas? Sorta like a cherry Dr. Pepper. I get it in the Carolinas when I'm there.

I had never given it a thought when I lived in Alabama and Kentucky, because I learned as a child. to call all "sugary carbonated beverages" coke too--it wasn't until I moved to the Midwest that I realized that I had to clarify what kind and start calling it "pop," or I'd end up literally with the actual brand name Coke soda drink (blech). That's no Mountain Dew!

damontucker
February 3rd, 2006, 01:28 PM
I never realized that people here in Hawaii do not have "Pop" It is soda here.

In the northwest... I used to say "mom... can I have a pop?"

If my son said that to me today... I think I would give him one "pop" on the head.

bizzyb0t
February 3rd, 2006, 09:43 PM

I've never been to the mainland except when I was kid and we went to Disneyland/Universal Studios/Knotts Berry Farm kind tours. So being here in Texas full-time has taken some time to get used to, when requesting things to drink.

As for the "CheerWine" I haven't come across it yet. I do know that they have a soda called, "Big Red" that's just like the Diamond Head Red Cream soda :D I always thought that Hawaii was the only place to have that flavor (which is half strawberry and half creme soda). So I was happy. What supermarket chain would I see CheerWine at? I haven't been to any grocery stores here except for H-E-B and Wal-Mart, and believe it or not but that's almost the only two choices I have unless I drive a couple of hours away!

I heard someone yesterday call Mt. Dew "pisswater". So I guess the post about the origins of the phrase "Doing the Dew" are true - at least to some extent.

Hey, I just Googled "CheerWine" and found the page!Looks Yummy! (http://www.cheerwine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=About.Overview). I gotta ask some people around here if they know where I can get some. The Cool Moon looks pretty good to. I wonder if it's like Mt. Dew?

Geez, now I'm thirsty again! :p

Aloha,
Chris

helen
February 4th, 2006, 09:48 AM
I use to drink this stuff all the time (long time ago) ,24 oz. at a time, untill it started to make my teeth ache!.
There was a time when my daily consuming of Mountain Dew was around 64 ounces or so (a cup of 32 ounces at breakfast, another 32 ounces for dinner). Yeah sure it kept me awake at night but I like the taste and the buzz it gave.

Then one day I had a pain in my hip, went to see my doctor about it, after taking my blood pressure, the staff started to act kind of weird sort like how doctors on TV act when somebody has a heart attack or some major trauma, even though I was feeling okay if you don't count the pain in the hip. So they hooked me up to the EKG, got lectured about losing weight, staying off the caffeine, prescribe me some medications and referred me to another doctor. This was in Spring 1999. I was caffeine free for 2 years, then started drinking Mountain Dew again but limiting my intake to a 20 ounce bottle of it a day which I thought was reasonable.

In fall of 2005 I was drinking more of it, 2 or more bottles a day. I figured I should stop drinking it this year and see what happens. The last time I had Mountain Dew was New Year's Eve and I told my friend I was giving up caffeine as a New Year resolution.

Do I miss drinking Mountain Dew? Yeah I do.

timkona
February 4th, 2006, 10:44 AM
sure it kept me awake at night but I like the buzz it gave.

Speed Kills, Drink Caffeine. Uhhh .... I mean Just Say No to cigarettes, alcohol, and aspirin...uhhh.....I mean When I was a kid, a frying egg was a good thing. I'm so confused.

I would be curious to know if Helen is for or against the War on Drugs. ??

I like the buzz myself. LOL.

helen
September 1st, 2006, 09:21 AM
The quote below is from this thread (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=6787) but I figured my answer to Leo's question should be here in this thread:

assuming you prefer Diet Pepsi over the leaded kind, what do you think about Diet Dew vs. regular?

For taste I prefer regular Mountain Dew over Diet Mountain Dew, but there have been times in the past when I actually pick Diet Mountain Dew, as opposed to accidently choosing it or that's all they have.

It get's kind of interesting in place like Taco Bell where they offer regular Mountain Dew, Mountain Dew Code Red and Mountain Dew Baja Blast all three have a pleasent taste to it.

Leo Lakio
September 1st, 2006, 09:25 AM
Thanks, helen. Personally, I don't like the taste of diet sodas. Someday, I gotta try the MD Baja Blast - it sounds good.

blueyecicle
September 1st, 2006, 09:39 AM
I don't like Mountain Dew I drink Dr. Pepper....I had a heck of a time finding it while I was in Hawai'i AND....I made the mistake of asking for pop!! :p

So now I say soda pop.... :rolleyes:

Hellbent
September 1st, 2006, 04:33 PM
i love code red - i used to drink a bottle of it everyday. i didnt like the taste of dr pepper when i was a kid, but i guess my taste buds have matured and now i drink it regularly.
btw, i think jack in the box or burger king has it on tap.
also, livewire when it first came out had sort of a creamy taste to it, like a creamsicle, then livewire went away. when it came back, it lacked the creamy taste.

helen
May 21st, 2010, 06:33 PM
Noticed a couple new flavors of Mountain Dew today. Just finished drinking a bottle of White Out.

sansei
May 21st, 2010, 08:17 PM
:o hi this is sansei and i voted diet mountain dew is it's the best of most of all mountain dew's. when my mom find's it on sale,i put it on her list so she buy's me a few case's and it's inexpensive.

well thank's for your t ime:o

helen
July 3rd, 2011, 12:47 PM
During a trip to Virginia I found a 2 liter bottle of Caffeine Free Diet Mountain Dew being sold at Food Lion store (it might be a chain of supermarkets in their area). I picked up a bottle and drank a few cups of it. It sort of taste like the Diet Mountain Dew.

I still want to try Caffeine Free Mountain Dew and see how it compare to the regular Mountain Dew.

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=122

Leo Lakio
July 3rd, 2011, 01:05 PM
I still want to try Caffeine Free Mountain Dew and see how it compare to the regular Mountain Dew.The only time I find it regularly now is when I cross the border into Canada; in a blind taste-test between the two, I doubt I could pick which is caffeinated and which is not.

Then again, regarding Mountain Dew without caffeine, I would say: what's the point? :p

P.S.) Food Lion is a grocery chain in the mid-Atlantic and southern states.

helen
August 20th, 2011, 08:42 PM
For a one time thing, lets chalk it up to it being something to do before kicking the bucket.

But assuming both products were handy available I would then drink the caffeined stuff in the morning to get up and drink the caffeine free stuff in the late afternoon/evening so at least I can go to sleep.

craigwatanabe
August 20th, 2011, 08:48 PM
I drink caffeine just to stay alive. Otherwise I'm pretty much a zombie

anapuni808
August 20th, 2011, 09:04 PM
if it has no caffeine - what is the point of drinking Mountain Dew? I thought the sugar and the caffeine were why folks drank it in the first place. :confused:

lensperson
August 20th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Sorry for late reply. Myself, I really enjoy the flavor of Mountain Dew,especially after mowing the lawn or some such.However if one looks at the fine print of the ingredients there is listed Brominated vegetable oil.The oil is treated with bromine to slow bacterial decay inside the containers of the product. The problem is that
bromine is toxic at fairly low levels. One of the symptoms of too much Bromine in the diet is acne ranging from mild to incapacitating. Do not ingest Bromine if possible.Read the list of ingredients.:)

helen
July 27th, 2019, 07:21 PM
Better late than never but the Mountain Dew Baja Blast is normally available from Taco Bell. However been buying the 20 ounce bottle from the Honolulu Community College Bookstore.

I haven't been noticing if other places are selling Baja Blast in bottles or can.

Walkoff Balk
July 27th, 2019, 08:25 PM
Diet Mountain Dew comes closest to tasting like the regular flavor. But, it contains Aspartame,which is not good for you.

helen
September 4th, 2021, 01:05 PM
I haven't consumed Mountain Dew since the late fall of 2019. Do I miss drinking it, yeah I do.