Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaiian choir music

Aloha to all of you!

My name is Quintus, I'm a choir director in the Netherlands and Germany, looking for Hawaiian music. I've got four gospel choirs at the moment, wanting to sing African music.

"Do you know the language?"
    'Nope'
    "Do you know the pronounciation of these languages?"
    'Nope'
    "Do you know the meaning of the lyrics?"
    'Nope'
    "Do you know the rhythmic patterns that form the fundament under this music?"
    'Nope'
    And so on. Then I ask; "And still you want to sing that African stuff?!"
    'Ehhh...!

I'd like to teach my choirs original Hawaiian Gospel. Not the translated versions of Silent Night, Deck the Halls etc, but Hawaiian lyrics and melody. It might even be simple children's music.

So here's my question for all of you; Who can send me lead sheets, arrangements, compositions, of that original christian Hawaiian music? When possible, send it as PDF. Or does anybody know where I can find it? I had some contacts on the Islands who said yes, and after several feedbacks per email still didn't send anything.

Mahalo nui loa, Q

Re: Hawaiian choir music

here is a site that does list song titles & has lyrics. once you have those, you may be able to find sheet music, arrangements etc.

http://www.huapala.org

As a choir director you would appreciate hearing the Doxology sung in Hawaiian - it is beautiful!
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

to help a bit while you're browsing their listings:

Iesu = Jesus

Himeni = hymn

Ke Akua = God (may not translate to the western concept though)
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Try contacting some of these folks; these are groups that have had some connections to Christian choral music sung in Hawaiian. ---

* Hawai`i Youth Opera Chorus) info -at- hyoc -dot- org
        * Hawai`i Chapter of the American Choral Directors Association) http://www.hawaiiacda.org/
        * Rose Ensemble) info -at- roseensemble -dot- org --- these folks, while based in Minneapolis, put out an amazing CD of Hawaiian mele a couple years back; info on the CD is here, and my review of it is here.

Comment

That's what I've already tried for a long time, resulting in nothing. My hope was, at last finding somebody, a choir director or singer, who is willing and able to conversate with me, so I can get some good examples of traditional Hawaiian music for my choirs. Huapala is already in my listing, thanks. I think I'll wait a little longer. My experience is, that a lot of people on fora tend to come only for the weekends.

The links you sent, Leo, I will check. I specially think, the Hawai'i Chapter could be something worthy to be tried, and of course I'll be glad to read your review of the cd you mentioned.

Comment

Working...
          X