Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overdue Books/DVDs

(Sorry so long... I'm just venting.)

I rarely borrow from the library anymore, but since I've been trying to cut spending at home, I thought I'd borrow a DVD for $1.00 instead of renting from Blockbuster as usual. I borrowed a movie and returned it within a week, before the due date.

A couple of weeks later, I got an overdue notice in the mail. I immediately called the library, and two staffers confirmed that I had not returned the DVD. I insisted I did. They asked me when. I wasn't exactly sure, but I said I put it in their DVD Return box, and it was before the due date.

She said, that DVD belongs to another library, so if we mis-scanned it, it will be scanned at the original location when it is received... "if you DID return it". She told me to wait a couple of weeks. I asked, in the meantime, what is my penalty? She said, $11.00 as of today. I said, and it's a dollar a day? And what if you folks lost it? I have to pay $30.00 (which is their maximum)? She said, I'll tell the supervisor... then she added, I don't think she'll call you, tho. I hung up. 30 minutes later, she called back and told me the the DVD was mis-scanned, and they corrected my account.

This scares me. I want to make sure they will not goof up again. Next time, I plan on standing in line and watch while they scan it return. But, they could still mis-scan it and then lose it... and they don't give receipts.

If they didn't discover their error, I guess I would have had to file some kind of formal complaint to contest the charge. What a hassle that would be.

Oh well, that's just a part of life, I guess.
    Last edited by Sharilyn; October 11, 2009, 06:15 AM.

Re: Overdue Books/DVDs

Hmm. Never happened to me.

Guess it only happens on the other islands.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I find the fact that they don't give receipts to be troubling. I've always collected receipts on the mainland and I never put returned materials in outdoor collection boxes or door slots for this very reason.

You'd think they wouldn't fine you more than the replacement value.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
        Next time, I plan on standing in line and watch while they scan it return. But, they could still mis-scan it and then lose it... and they don't give receipts.
        Write the names of the DVDs you are returning on a piece of paper noted "returned on date.....", and have the staffer intitial it. If they squawk, tell them to offer some other receipt that you have returned the items.
        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
          Write the names of the DVDs you are returning on a piece of paper noted "returned on date.....", and have the staffer intitial it. If they squawk, tell them to offer some other receipt that you have returned the items.
          You beat me to it, Amati!

Comment

The library here did that to me once. They swear I checked out a book I never checked out. But it pulled up on my account and since it pulled up, it really did look like I had checked it out, so I didn't have much of a defense. They give receipts here, but I didn't save mine...now I do. A few months after I returned the books I did check out that trip, I was informed I had to pay for the book. It was too much hassle to keep arguing, so I forked over the $6.50 and am now the proud non-owner of By the Shores of Silver Lake by Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Keep track of WHAT day, Approximate Time when you ARE dropping it off thru their return slots. Usually I like to hand them directly or as near to them as much as possible. BE aware of drop boxes where its overloaded with library materials that you can actually grab with your hands. When I come across something like that I purposely push mines waaaay in so prying hands dont get access to something I am done with.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
                Keep track of WHAT day, Approximate Time when you ARE dropping it off thru their return slots. Usually I like to hand them directly or as near to them as much as possible. BE aware of drop boxes where its overloaded with library materials that you can actually grab with your hands. When I come across something like that I purposely push mines waaaay in so prying hands dont get access to something I am done with.
                I never thought I'd have to take the time and trouble to do that, but I guess I will have to from now on. I am keeping my notes of the conversation I had with the library staffer. I have a fear that ten years from now, a collection agency will contact me about that overdue DVD!

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                The library here did that to me once. They swear I checked out a book I never checked out. But it pulled up on my account and since it pulled up, it really did look like I had checked it out, so I didn't have much of a defense. They give receipts here, but I didn't save mine...now I do. A few months after I returned the books I did check out that trip, I was informed I had to pay for the book. It was too much hassle to keep arguing, so I forked over the $6.50 and am now the proud non-owner of By the Shores of Silver Lake by Laura Ingalls Wilder.
                Yeah, how do you argue with them when they say -- but it says right here in the computer that you checked it out?

Comment

Absolutely on the mark! What reason wouldn't a librarian give for not offering some written form of verification that you returned the borrowed material on such-and-such day and time? Otherwise, library staff can get away with pocketing books/DVDs and blaming it on patrons.

But with all that said, keep in mind that honest mistakes can and do happen, whether you return the material in the outside chute or at the circulation desk. All of that stuff is dropped into a bin and not normally scanned until later.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I don't believe the IP. The library doesn't charge for lost materials unless you've exceeded your quota - and every card holder has a quota of material that can be 'lost' without charge. A 'claimed returned' item uses part of that quota, unless and/or until it 'shows up' by being checked-out again or found thru inventory. Late fees are automatically removed for items 'claimed returned' on time. That's how it works for books. CD/DVDs may be a bit different (I've never had cause to inquire), but the post title lists overdue books first and it just ain't so.
                    Last edited by salmoned; October 14, 2009, 03:50 PM.
                    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                      I don't believe the IP.
                      What is 'IP'? Do you mean me?

Yes, I put 'Books' in the title, altho my problem had to do with a DVD. I wanted to broaden the topic to books as well, so that people who have had experiences with overdue books would jump in and share.

Thank you for the info on books.

Comment

I'd wager the same rule applies for DVDs, but the rule isn't advertised to save excessive abuse. The librarians don't always automatically recognize when you're making a 'claimed returned' statement if you don't expressly say the magic words, but you can do it in person, online or over the phone.
                        Last edited by salmoned; October 14, 2009, 04:29 PM.

Comment

I've never lost a book before, lie or truth, and they charged me for the hardcover edition. Maybe libraries are different here, but you don't get a freebie at my library. It's bring back or pay up.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

I think my problem was that the librarian cut me off without giving me an explanation of how these things are typically handled. I wasn't giving her a hard time; I was just confused. I asked her a few questions, and she cut me off and told me she'll tell her supervisor (who wasn't going to call me back). So, not having more info, I assumed I was going to have to pay the maximum $30.00 penalty if they lost the DVD. I still don't know what would've happened. I understand that she was not in a position to waive my penalty, especially since they could not locate the DVD. But I thought she could at least note that I called so that it didn't seem like I was ignoring their overdue notice.

Comment

Last time I received an overdue notice, I had the same sort of hassle. I called, then emailed, then called again and spoke with a 'supervisor' before straightening it out. For the record, I've never lost library materials, but I have used the 'claimed returned' option several times over my decades as a card holder - the materials were subsequently 'found' by the library in each case, so I have no 'strikes' against me.
                              Last edited by salmoned; October 15, 2009, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X