Sharon Black wins eChievement Award by e-Town radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharon Black wins eChievement Award by e-Town radio

Our own Hawaii Threads member, Sharon Black, aka Kalona, founder of Kau Kau Wagon, was awarded the E-Chievement award by e-Town radio, a syndicated radio show. The show will be aired nationwide on over 270 radio stations and via Podcast October 14th to 20th. Locally, it will be aired on Kauai's KKCR, 90.9, on Sunday, 10/20 at 7 pm, both on air as well as on their internet site, http://www.kkcr.org/.

eTown radio, is heard 52 weeks a year and is a non-profit 501(c)3 corporation whose mission is to educate, entertain and inspire a diverse audience through music and conversation, to create a socially responsible and environmentally sustainable world. Every show is taped in front of a live audience and features performances by top musical performers, as well as thought provoking interviews and the presentation of the listener nominated E-Chievement Award recognizing everyday people who have made a difference in their community or beyond. Musical guests for this week's show will be Bruce Hornsby and Dave Alvin and the Guilty Women. Also interviewed will be Louie Psihoyos, Film Director of the eco-thriller, "The Cove". For more info on eTown, go to www.eTown.org.

Sharon started her grassroots nonprofit program, Kau Kau Wagon, in 1986. Every Saturday, a team of volunteers prepares sandwiches and other food and drink and gives it away to anyone who is hungry. They give unconditionally to anyone. Sharon says, "We are not there to judge. Maybe folks are just lonely and want to be a part of something." They have since provided well over 100,000 meals and now also host holiday dinners for the hungry and pet therapy visits for those who are ill, institutionalized, or lonely. Several members of Hawaii Threads have come out to volunteer with the Kau Kau Wagon.

The Kau Kau Wagon is always looking for more volunteers and is in the process of planning for the Thanksgiving of Hope dinner, which is the Saturday after Thanksgiving. They will need donations of turkeys, hams, pies, all the traditional fixings, tables, drinks, entertainment, gift cards for Costco or Sams Club so that the can purchase items not donated, imus to cook turkeys, paper goods, etc. Email them at kaukauwagon@aol.com if you or your organization are interested in helping out this year.

Congratulations to Kalona!!
    Last edited by alohacandy; October 13, 2009, 04:21 AM.

Re: Sharon Black wins eChievement Award by e-Town radio

W00T!! You go Girl!! Congratulations Sharon Black!!

Auntie Pupule
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Yay, Sharon!

Comment

Sharon you are a Star. Well done.

Comment

Considering her accomplishments, the obstacles she has overcome and the doggedness with which she has persevered, this is better news than the recent awarding of the Peace Prize --- this is real recognition. Congratulations, Sharon - it's nice to see you get some public proof that you've been fighting the good fight for so long.

Comment

Congrats Sis!

Comment

WOW MAHALO PESH, SUE, LYNN, BARRY LEO, MARY,

I had forgot my password again as Usual. lol

I can never say it enough every award WE get is OURS, US WE, not me. I was just the one who did the interview because I had the answers available at the time. lol

It's the Volunteers, the Supporters, and those we serve that have given us the honor to trust we will do the best we can to meet the need with hope and a smile the best that we can. They are the winners! They are the reason we get to do what we do for so many years.

The Award was for the Kau Kau Wagon, about the Kau Kau Wagon. For me personally I was thankful to know Hawaii once again was recognized to have another great program of community members committed to making a difference.

A while back I had read an article that stated Hawaii was one of the worst when it came to volunteers. We all knew that the author of that article was way off from any factual reality. Hawaii should be proud of the many great volunteers it has in the community. The majority of people are very big hearted. We not only spoke out in huge numbers against that false article, we worked even harder to say eh that was a bold face lie and then some.

Lately to be honest I haven't been very good at all about keeping pace for the Kau Kau Wagon or the Pet Therapy. I finally have come to a place and time where I am absolutely exhausted. It has been the volunteers and supporters that have kept the Kau Kau Wagon going, not me. I miss both the Kau Kau Wagon and the Pet therapy very much. I hope that at some point I can refresh my energy and get back on track. But for right now I just need to make it from moment to moment.

If I could have a wish to keep forever it would be that Kau Kau Wagon will continue on and grow to meet more of the needs in our community and that maybe one day those needs would be so well met that there wouldn't even be a need for a program like the Kau Kau Wagon.

Mahalo to u all for the wonderful support, kind comments and belief in something we can all be proud to call OURS.

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              Considering her accomplishments, the obstacles she has overcome and the doggedness with which she has persevered, this is better news than the recent awarding of the Peace Prize --- this is real recognition. Congratulations, Sharon - it's nice to see you get some public proof that you've been fighting the good fight for so long.
              LOL about the Peace Prize, Ehhh I would be OK with just the peace..they could keep the prize, lol thanks that was a really heart warming comment!

Originally posted by Barry View Post
              Sharon you are a Star. Well done.
              Mahalo naww not me the star. US,,, WE ,,,OUR.....without u all there is no stars.

Originally posted by alohacandy View Post
              Our own Hawaii Threads member, Sharon Black, aka Kalona, founder of Kau Kau Wagon, was awarded the E-Chievement award by e-Town radio, a syndicated radio show. The show will be aired nationwide on over 270 radio stations and via Podcast October 14th to 20th. Locally, it will be aired on Kauai's KKCR, 90.9, on Sunday, 10/20 at 7 pm, both on air as well as on their internet site, http://www.kkcr.org/.
              Thanks Mary! WOW aren't u also glad they don't word limit us here? lol

Thanks Lynn....was looking for u Friday night to see if maybe I might get lucky and see u at Rays Cafe. Daggg I love that place!! I think it will always be a fav of mine!! Excellent food at great prices. My stomach was so sore but I still tried anyway to sample all I could. Walked out there in a zone of lost. Felix thought I was too gaunt and tried to make me eat more. EEEK! lol
              Wished u were there so we could share!

SUE HUGS TO U SIS....thanks so much again!!!

PESH WOW I can never ever thank u enough for ALL u have done! Ur amazing to me in countless ways!

I'm may be beat way down right now but it's moments like this that help me remember that I have been so fortunate to have people like u all that make a difference. WOW

Comment

And I always talk about YOU being so verbose Sharon! LOL I just had to get everything in so that everyone would understand what the heck eTown and the eChievement Award is....because we ALL know who our dear Kalona is....and what great work you've done for our community. We've got some wonderful people on this Board who have come together to support each other in many ways through the years and this is just a prime example of the talent and the spirit of Ohana that is demonstrated here. God Bless You and the work you do.

Comment

And I always talk about YOU being so verbose Sharon! LOL I just had to get everything in so that everyone would understand what the heck eTown and the eChievement Award is....because we ALL know who our dear Kalona is....and what great work you've done for our community. We've got some wonderful people on this Board who have come together to support each other in many ways through the years and this is just a prime example of the talent and the spirit of Ohana that is demonstrated here. God Bless You and the work you do.
                  Again Mahalo AlohaCandy A K A Mary DeNinno. <<Sp Ck LOL Yeah And we all know who dear Aloha Candy is as well. We also know that ur the tops for AVON sales. Waiting to hear u tell us ALL u won that great pink Caddy one day so we can hop in and cruise. HAHA Or I'll personally settle for the product of the year that takes that 20 yrs off the look thingy fast. lol

U and many here do so much awesome things for the community. I think we both tend to occasionally be a lil verbose from time to time and when it comes to helping others, that's supposed to a good thing.

Oh BTW ur City attorney friend of urs said to say Hi. So consider it done. HI! lol

Glad the website is back and the Aloha United Way volunteer site is up. Now to try and catch up as fast as possible. If I can get a straight 5 hr sleep I should be able to make some progress. HA imagine that. I have to get this cell phone right someday...that too will make a difference. I think the battery was so hot it felt like it was going to burn into flames. Grrr I don't think anyone has challenged their cell phone more then me for as long as I have.

Anyway don't want to be to long winded. My attempt at humor is not as good as it used to be. But still trying to make the effort. All good intentions by all means.

Thanks AGAIN Mary. That was really thoughtful of u to share this news.
                  BUT remember any award WE get is about WE not me! And that is a fact I am proud of. It may mention my name but the efforts, dedication is in my heart ALL about those we serve, the volunteers and the supporters. I will NEVER fail to know that is fact in my heart. OK so off my soap box on that issue for now. lol

Hope you ALL have a great weekend!

Comment

Wow...I just posted a longgggggggggggg reply and lost it! LMAO
                    Anyway!!!! Avon doesn't give out Pink Cars. That's the Mary Kay company. There's another company...Arbonne...that awards Mercedes. We can win other things...but no cars that I know of.

My post was gonna be about what we needed for the Thanksgiving of Hope dinner but I'll start another thread for that another time.

Here's a link to hear Sharon aka Kalona's interview when she was awarded the eChievement Award....that she's going to share with others when she receives the goodies...LOL.....so you don't have to wait til Sunday night to hear the broadcast (you'll only hear her getting called for the award...not the whole broadcast with Bruce Hornsby...)

http://www.etown.org/awards.past.php

Comment

Wow...I just posted a longgggggggggggg reply and lost it! LMAO
                      Anyway!!!! Avon doesn't give out Pink Cars. That's the Mary Kay company. There's another company...Arbonne...that awards Mercedes. We can win other things...but no cars that I know of.

My post was gonna be about what we needed for the Thanksgiving of Hope dinner but I'll start another thread for that another time.

Here's a link to hear Sharon aka Kalona's interview when she was awarded the eChievement Award....that she's going to share with others when she receives the goodies...LOL.....so you don't have to wait til Sunday night to hear the broadcast (you'll only hear her getting called for the award...not the whole broadcast with Bruce Hornsby...)

http://www.etown.org/awards.past.php
                      OH WOW BUSTED! OK it's true I don't purchase much beauty products. And obviously it has been a while cause I thought Avon did the pink car thing. lol

Comment

Aloha All

Wanted to share an update for our Thanksgiving of Hope event.
                        Lots of good news to share. We had our board meeting on Sunday.

We have electric!!! So there will be music!! Vina will be taking care of all that for us even has some great music lined up. YAAAY
                        Music makes any gathering extra special.

The turkeys are being donated and just waiting on the confirmation of them being prepped and cooked. We won't turn any cooked ready to serve turkeys away. This year we will be doing our turkeys huli huli style. Was in hopes for that last minute chance of having the turkey's done IMU style. But Huli Huli is real good too. Never had huli huli turkey before but I know I love Huli Huli chicken.

We really could use at least 5 gallons of gravy. Any volunteers for that?

Donna called and got 1000 forks, knives and spoons donated!! We have napkins. Kathy and John will be doing the rice for us as they do every year.

We have 5 hams now donated. Only need 40 more, sliced cooked and ready to serve.

Tails Of Aloha has been helping us build a new web site we look forward to sharing with you all soon. We also be bringing some our pet therapy friends out to share as well. Our Great Dane Grandfather and Grand puppy certified, licensed therapy team will be there to share some pup love. We hope to have others team member join us as also.

We may also have some fresh beautiful flowers to pass out to those we serve to make the day even more special.

Lt, Duke Aiona will be there again to help us serve and do the opening mahalo prayer. Thanks Lt Gov and staff again for sharing in this event!

We have 500 packages of rolls donated! We have a generator we will get to use so we can add in some fresh hot pop corn and possibly some ono shave ice. Nice way to make it extra special.

Got a call from the Honolulu Star Bulletin who said they will do a story for us next week some time and try and get us more help on the things we need and the help we would like to have. This year we want to make send the message out as much as we can that ehhh if you want a great meal for whatever reason come join. No cost, no fees. Just a big extended family holiday meal.

We know that many in our community are struggling this year with massive lay offs, smaller pay checks, fixed or no income. Whatever the reason we are there to share unconditionally.

So on to the list of needs and wants so we can make this extra special for everyone.

Hams.....39 cooked, sliced and ready to serve

Yams......25 pans cooked and ready to serve

Mashed potatoes....20 pans, cooked and ready to serve

String beans......20 pans hot and ready to serve

Corn................20 pans hot and ready to serve

Carrot Sticks.........10 lbs cut and sliced

Salad Dressing......Ranch........4 bottles Lg

Gravy.......5 gallons plus.......hot and ready to serve

Cranberry sauce, 15 pans....ready to serve.....

FRESH FRUITS! We would LOVE to have banana's, oranges, apples

Bottles Water..........10 cases

Juice............20 gallons ready to serve

Pies...........55......sliced and ready to serve (any kind)

Whip Cream....10 cans

Butter......2 lg tubs

Pop corn kernels..........10 bags

Pop corn butter oil.......1 gallon

Pop corn bags.........600

Shave ice Syrup......6 gallons.....any flavors

Block Ice ...........15 blocks

NOW onto the NON food items...................

Large Clam Shell serving containers we will need 700-800

Cups...........1000

Plus we could use the strong paper plates....about 600 as a back u

Disposable Paper table cloths 20

we will need 15-20 serving tables...folding ones would be great 6 ft
                        I have 4

Tarps...10 large ones

Large trash bags

Large Foil

Serving gloves 3-5 boxes

Any disposable serving utensils such as spoons etc

Can Opener

Towels

Hand wipes

Clothing.....
                        We could use plenty.......slippahs, sneakers, socks, etc......Some Large clothing would be great as well.

Toiletries..............soaps, shampoos, and all that kind of stuff......

Towels, blankets, etc..........

OK anything any of u can think of would be great.......
                        maybe some old toys for some of the keikei ...like stuffed animals
                        or maybe some reading books........

Families are welcome. We ask that parents stay by your kids and that kids under 15 do not serve food items in line. If you have something special you wish to share, including talent, packaged snacks, that you would like to pass out to those waiting in line, that would be great! Maybe some candy canes or something like that.

FOOD certificates are great! McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Bell, etc, are great ways to help create more meals for those in need if we should run out on our regular serving times.

If you are a group that wants to join us, please let us know. We will try and make room so you can set up a table and pass out items you wish to share, such as snacks, or toiletry items.

We will have many things for many people to do. Our list of volunteers is growing thanks to so many of you!

Our year round volunteers will be there to help guide and set things up. They are the very best of the best.

Please feel free to share our e-mail and let us know if you can help out in any way. A HUGE MAHALO from ALL us at the Kau Kau Wagon for ur Kokua and awesome support!

You don't want to miss this incredible community event! Nothing is more amazing then seeing the community come together in tough times and share hope and Aloha in it's greatest form of heart and soul! So please come join us to enjoy some great food, great people, and wonderful music.

KauKauWagon@aol.com

http://kaukauwagon.com/default.aspx web site

We now have an official Face Book page Kau Kau Wagon
                        http://tinyurl.com/yeo84hx

Comment

Re: Kau Kau Wagon wins eChievement Award by e-Town radio

Do we still need more generators?

Notice the title of my post? LOL

Comment

Aloha `oe, Kalona

From the Star-Advertiser:

Sharon Black, the police outreach worker who spent her own time and money to help the homeless in downtown Honolulu, died at Hawaii Hospice in Kailua Thursday afternoon.

Black, 52, succumbed to lung cancer that had spread to other parts of her body.

Black was a police outreach worker for the Honolulu Police Department for more than 20 years. On weekends, she established the Kau Kau Wagon which fed the homeless in Chinatown, most recently out of Chinatown Gateway Park.

Black is survived by her daughter, Nikki, son Chez and their father Mike Black.

Family members were at her bedside and friends were nearby as well when she passed, said Susan Siu, a family friend.

Also at her bedside were her three Great Danes, Mokka, Polo and Rambo.

Black's dying wish was fulfilled this week when the dogs were found a home on a ranch in Waimea on Hawaii Island.

"It was what she always dreamed of, having the dogs living on a big property so she could have more rescue Danes," Siu said.

In recent years, Black's dogs have been therapy dogs visiting not just Chinatown Gateway Park but also hospitals and care homes to provide comfort to the ill, elderly, homeless and others in need.

"Lots of people know those dogs," Siu said. "They brought joy to everybody."

Comment

The community has lost a real jewel. My daughter and I made sandwiches with Sharon a few years ago and got to experience the bond between Sharon and her 3 HUGE pups. Such great dogs. Daughter and I were talking a couple of weeks ago and both agreed that Sharon might be hanging on to life 'til her pups were adopted. Sure 'nuff...once the pups were spoken for, it didn't take Sharon long to fly with the angels. May she rest in love.

This photo speaks to that very special bond.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X