Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jessica Watson, 16, sailing around the world

News link
    A 16 year old female is attempting to be the youngest solo around the world sailor. She's started from Australia and her name is Jessica Watson.

You go girl! And all the bestest!
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Re: Pacific News!

I certainly wish her well, but... I've got some concerns about this one.
    If folks read the full story, you'll see that on a short sail last month she and her boat collided with a cargo ship, clearly indicating that she wasn't keeping a good lookout.
    Also, her departure was delayed for a week due to high winds. Another concern, since it's impossible to sail clear around the planet without encountering lots of high winds, and especially so on the route she's taking.
    The collision and the wind delay are cause enough for concern. And note that her attempt is to circumnavigate "unassisted," meaning absolutely no outside help of any sort at any time. Any problems with rigging, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, etc., and she has to fix it herself.
    There's no mention at all about her sailing experience and skills. Hmmmmm.
    Like I said, I wish her well, but.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Oh my gosh Likanui! Thanks for finding the whole story, I thought that was all they wrote in my link.

You're right. Running into a ship and not leaving due to weather?
      But... she has started the voyage.

Remember folks of bodysurfing huge waves that we wouldn't dare now? If not you will. HaHa! It's the young think we're immortal stage of life.
      Most of us make it through, some die, while others excel and accomplish incredible feats!

Have to admit that the circumstances show lack of experience. But you know what? Bet she won't ever run into a ship again. Don'cha tink?

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
        Have to admit that the circumstances show lack of experience. But you know what? Bet she won't ever run into a ship again. Don'cha tink?
        Not necessarily. Consider that the collision happened during a short sail and while she was well rested. Now that she's started her voyage, true exhaustion will set in quickly and the chances for a collision rise, not drop.
        Singlehand sailors typically sleep no more than two hours at a time, preferably during daylight hours. When I used to do long-distance singlehand sailing I'd switch to that sleep schedule at least a couple of weeks in advance of departure so I'd be used to it.
        On the other hand, there's far less traffic way offshore than there is along the coastlines, so that'll help. She needs to have researched the standard shipping lanes and plotted a course to stay away from them. There's no guarantee that ships aren't outside of the standard shipping lanes, but at least it increases her chances. However, that also puts her farther away from help if she has an emergency.
        Also, I can see from the photos that her boat has radar, so I hope it's a good enough unit to also have a loud collision avoidance alarm.
        Another thing: I'm a bit concerned about parents who allow their child to do something as dangerous as this voyage.

Comment

At 16, isn't she underage and therefore not allowed to risk her life in such manner?

There is no way I'd cruise outside of the semi-safe harbors of the islands.
          Yes, these day's I'm chicken, and sensible. I risked my life enuf out there.
          Blows my mind how many thousands venture into the 'unknown', and make it back. There are too many unforseeables out in the oceans that can send you to Davey Jones' cabinet without warning and no one ever knows what happened.
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
            At 16, isn't she underage and therefore not allowed to risk her life in such manner?
            Apparently not..... yet!

But that could change if there's a tragedy, like in the case of 7 year old Jessica Dubroff's unsuccessful attempt to fly a plane across the US, which was the impetus for legislation prohibiting student pilots from trying to set aviation records.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Re: Jessica Watson, 16, sailing around the world

I agree with the following quote...

"Bilbo Baggins: It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." -- The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring

That being said...
              We might as well try stuff rather than just let things happen to us.
              Because there's no true safety either ways, so I say go for it!

Comment

Said the man with sea water on the brain...

We might as well try stuff rather than just let things happen to us.
                Because there's no true safety either ways, so I say go for it!
                I knew you would! I can appreciate that.
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Even if Jessica Watson makes it through okay, she's not the only teenager who has her sights set on a solo sail around the globe. There's a 16 year old girl from the US who is seeking sponsorship for a non-stop voyage. And there's a 14 year old Dutch girl who is trying to receive court approval to sail around the world, with stops along the way. This competitive desire to set the record for the youngest person to circumnavigate the globe unassisted,..... sooner or later, something bad is going to happen.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Update on the 14-year-old Laura Dekker:

Dutch Court Halts Girl's Solo Sail
                    A Dutch court ruled Friday that 14-year-old Laura Dekker was still too inexperienced to be allowed to set off on her quest to become the youngest person to sail solo around the world. Judges at Utrecht District Court placed Laura under the guardianship of child protection authorities until July to ensure that she cannot set off on her dream voyage. The ruling means Laura can continue living with her father, but her parents must consult child protection authorities about all major decisions in her life.

Comment

That's too bad about Laura Dekker.
                      Here's a video story of Jessica Watson preparing to go. http://videos.espn.com/m/video/26607...on-feature.htm

And here's her Blog... http://youngestround.blogspot.com/

There are other young ladies trying to set a record too!

Comment

Just an update... doing good.
                        "Wednesday, November 18, 2009
                        Shooting Star and Crossing the Line Tomorrow!
                        I'm not much of an Astronomer but with all this talk of meteor showers last night, I was keeping an extra good eye out and did see the most amazing shooting star. It was so bright and big that I was actually a bit spooked before realizing what it was. But I can't tell you what I wished for though!

Well 'Silly' left us this morning (see pic below) but it was nice to have someone to talk to and have the company for a while. He really did have the most interesting opinions on the subjects of fashion and boys! He wasn't at all interested in any of the food I offered and didn't seem to mind the flash of the camera.

Not a real exciting day out here today, other than the usual chores, sail trimming, HF radio skeds etc. I actually slept through most of it. I'm becoming more and nocturnal lately because it's so much easier to get anything done when it cools down after the sunsets. It was good to get a few extra catnaps in while I've still got plenty of open water and nice conditions."

Comment

H S (representing Holy Support of course)

YOU GO GIRL!

Don't let age, or lack thereof, of expectations or restrictions hold you down.

You have ONE life. Use it as YOU choose, or die another's death.

And that goes for the rest of you HT'ers as well!

K
                          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                          ~ ~
                          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Well in Jessica. I am sixty two and have a small sailing boat (a 32foot Elizabethan in Liverpool marina) but I would love to come with you. Do you want crew ?
                            The best of luck to you.

Comment

"Wednesday, November 18, 2009
                              Shooting Star and Crossing the Line Tomorrow!
                              I'm not much of an Astronomer but with all this talk of meteor showers last night, I was keeping an extra good eye out and did see the most amazing shooting star. It was so bright and big that I was actually a bit spooked before realizing what it was.
                              I really do wish her well, but I'm rather concerned about her "I'm not much of an astronomer" comment. That makes it sound like she's relying solely on electronic navigation aids and that she can't use a sextant for her navigation... and (assuming that's true) that's an extremely dangerous mistake.
                              All of us HT boating folks know that when it comes to boats it's not a question of IF the electronics will fail, it's just a question of WHEN. Month after month of salt spray will practically guarantee problems, and if she can't navigate without them, then... [/gulp]
                              Lord have mercy on that innocent child.

Comment

Working...
                              X