PDA

View Full Version : Without bending your knees!

Kaonohi
December 2nd, 2009, 08:14 PM
This occurred to me as I bent to pick up a card I had dropped between my feet:

How many of us can, wihout bending our knees, pick up something - for our purposes here say... a dime, a 10 cent piece, or anything similar, which has fallen between our feet?

This is without bending the knees, without crouching or kneeling down, without mechanical aids....

How many of us can still pick up that dime?

It's a blind study, no one is identified, it's just a statistical analysis.
Be honest - there's no benefit in bragging.

craigwatanabe
December 2nd, 2009, 10:44 PM
Not me. God gave me knees for a reason, to pick up dimes fallen between my feet. :D

Peshkwe
December 3rd, 2009, 03:33 AM
Silly humans and genetic anomalies...gotta love em.

Sharilyn
December 3rd, 2009, 06:01 AM
I marked the wrong one... can't change my vote :o

leashlaws
December 3rd, 2009, 06:35 AM
Sadly, the years and all my physical issues have greatly reduced my level of flexibility. 9 years ago I could do this bend over and come back up breathing
technique for Pilates and that's a goner! Every other month with my check up with the Physiatrist my range of motion gets worse! He measures it with this device to see if and how far the "if" I can bend over is/isnt!:eek:

salmoned
December 3rd, 2009, 09:14 AM
I think a more useful flexibility is being able to sit on your haunches with feet flat on the floor.

sophielynette
December 3rd, 2009, 10:17 AM
I can pick things up but it has to be quick, I can't stay down there for long. Although usually when I have to pick things up off the ground I usually use my toes.

craigwatanabe
December 3rd, 2009, 10:43 AM
I think knees are there for a reason. Anything else is simply non-human:)

leashlaws
December 3rd, 2009, 12:47 PM
I'll admit picking up dog poop bags can be challenging! if I'm feeling o.k. I
try the golf ball pick up move with one leg extended in the air and bending
down with other knee partially bent. Like Sophielynette I'll use my toes in the house!

Leo Lakio
December 3rd, 2009, 12:48 PM
Nope. Which is why I started attending a yoga class last month, to regain the flexibility I had in my t'ai chi / hula days.

turtlegirl
December 3rd, 2009, 01:07 PM
Not only can I get it, I can put both palms on the floor as well. (after I hang there and stretch for a minute) :cool:

leashlaws
December 3rd, 2009, 01:11 PM
Nope. Which is why I started attending a yoga class last month, to regain the flexibility I had in my t'ai chi / hula days.

I did pilates for 8 years and that was good for this but now I just swim 800 meters a day and walk 2 miles daily as well and more importantly those
two activities help my pain level which always at some level everyday
just what level it is varies!

surlygirly
December 3rd, 2009, 01:28 PM
I can get my fingers down to the middle knuckle flat on the floor. That's good progress for me! And ahhh...stretching feels so good!

Kaonohi
December 3rd, 2009, 01:49 PM
Interesting range of responses.

I've managed to keep my hamstrings stretched (touch my toes) but my quadriceps are impossibly shrunken. I'm jealous of salmoned! I used to be able to do that when I was younger. Now I can't get my heels anywhere near my gluteus in any way. Much more useful stretch, I agree!

Ah, youth is wasted on the young! Can anyone still do splits? :rolleyes:

K

Kaonohi
December 3rd, 2009, 01:51 PM
I marked the wrong one... can't change my vote :o
You can tell us... we won't breathe a word! ;)

Shiftless Pilgrim
December 3rd, 2009, 06:02 PM
Well yes, but it is usually accompanied with an involuntary grunt.

Leo Lakio
December 3rd, 2009, 06:13 PM
Well yes, but it is usually accompanied with an involuntary grunt.Preferable to an involuntary toot, I suppose.

matapule
December 4th, 2009, 02:14 AM
I think a more useful flexibility is being able to sit on your haunches with feet flat on the floor.

What is odd, is that I can do that with ease, but I haven't seen my toes in years. Probably need a pedicure.

Nords
December 4th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Taekwondo and the book "Stretching Scientifically" (http://www.amazon.com/Stretching-Scientifically-Flexibility-Training-Revision/dp/0940149451/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259943237&sr=1-1).

Having shorter legs can't hurt, either.

surlygirly
December 4th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Can anyone still do splits? :rolleyes:

K

No! But...I can still do high kicks over my shoulders. Because that's a useful skill! High school Brigade (drill team) was good for something!

Leo Lakio
December 4th, 2009, 02:16 PM
What is odd, is that I can do that with ease, but I haven't seen my toes in years. Probably need a pedicure.Why bother, if you can't see them to enjoy the result?

Walkoff Balk
December 4th, 2009, 07:33 PM
If I could do that, I wouldn't leave the house.

Kaonohi
December 4th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Absolutely.
Please start another poll; I have exceeded my PC quota!

I remember doing that in Nam, to rest on the trail. And watched films in college of Native Americans and Aboriginies doing that and saying, "Yeah, so what?"

Two accidents and 50 pounds later I cannot come close, but for some reason I've preserved my hamstring stretch. One reason was a full-leg cast (1970), the other was Chinese martial arts (1975), and persistant determination after.

I wish I still had my quads stretched enough to squat.

K :o

cyleet99
January 29th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Can! Well, it helps me if I keep doing some yoga stretches, even though I don't do the whole yoga thing.

Every year in the garden I used to get very sore from harvesting green beans (bush kine) with the squatting and bending for long periods. I would usually end up with what Mama called "green bean butt." :rolleyes:

Amati
January 29th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Can anyone still do splits? Geez, are you trying to kill us here?? :eek:

Mike_Lowery
January 29th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Takes more than 10 cents for Mike to bend over. :cool:

Kaonohi
January 29th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I just want to know who is sextuple-jointed!