Ricky Williams - Retired at 27

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ricky Williams - Retired at 27

To be honest, I don't follow sports. And I wouldn't know anything about Ricky Williams, except for the fact that he made national headlines when he announced his early retirement from the NFL... from Hawaii. The islands were just one stop on what seemed like a totally spontaneous, random, globe-spanning sightseeing trip. The guy quit the high-pressure sports rat race, despite losing promised millions, and seems committed now to just enjoying life.

His sudden drop out has caused many to connect the dots to his problems with drugs - marijuana, specifically - but a few see his decision as one that's not that strange when you consider some of the personalities, and some of the expectations, that come with the world of professional sports.

But what do I know. NFL, NBA, NASCAR, it's all the same to me. (Well, I'm not that bad.) Any hardcore sports fans have an opinion on Williams' great escape?

Re: Ricky Williams - Retired at 27

He's always been one of the, ahem, iconoclasts in the NFL. As I recall, he once posed in a wedding gown for a photo with Mike Ditka (Mike Ditka!)
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Re: Ricky Williams - Retired at 27

I'll jump in here, although it seems sports is not a favorite topic among our other posters.

Ricky Williams leaving the Dolphins the way he did is certainly no surprise. However, doing it so close to the beginning of the season betrays something we have probably all known about Williams from the day he entered the NFL: he's a workhorse and a serious talent--possibly hall-of-fame caliber--but he's really no team player.

The Dolphins also lost David Boston for the season this week, so it's been a devastating few days for Miami. Still, they've got a potentially excellent alternate running back in Travis Minor (41 carries for 193 yards equals 4.7 yards per carry) and maybe Boston's going down is what Chris Chambers needs to finally deliver on all that promise.

It's possible that Miami is a better team without Williams. Addition by subtraction, and all that. I don't know what the salary-cap implications are, but in the long run, I don't think anyone will miss Williams that much, except for people like me, who have him in fantasy keeper-leagues.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
      X