Pickled onion recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickled onion recipe?

anyone got some pickled onion recipe, maybe something close to miki's or the picked onion from paina cafe.

Thanks!

Re: pickled onion recipe?

No, I don't, but Safeway carries several "Maui Pickled Products" onions, which I like. I happen to have "Onions & Ogo" right now.
    Greg

Comment

Gotta admit, I got hooked on the ones at the salad bar at Buzz's at Lanikai.

Comment

dump sliced onion in chilli pepper water and let it sit for a few days.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          dump sliced onion in chilli pepper water and let it sit for a few days.
          I'm likin' the sound of that ... except that I would have trouble with the "let it sit" part. Patience often fails me in recipes.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            I'm likin' the sound of that ... except that I would have trouble with the "let it sit" part. Patience often fails me in recipes.
            If you can't wait, zap the raw onion in the microwave to break it down a bit and then stick it in a jar of chilli pepper water. Better yet use Kula (Maui) onions to reduce the iodine taste faster.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Pickled Onions

1 clove garlic, crushed
              2 small chili peppers, seeds removed and crushed
              3 medium round white or Maui onions, cut into 1-inch wedges
              1 tablespoon sea salt (Hawaiian salt)
              3/4 cup cider vinegar
              3/4 cup water
              1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds

Combine seasonings and liquids; bring to a boil. Cool to room temperature. Fill jar with onions, pour liquid over. Cover jar tightly. Shake well and let stand for 2 to 3 days, shaking jar at least once a day. Refrigerate. Makes 1 quart jar.

Comment

Re: Pickled onion recipe?

Here's mine...

1 1/2 cup Heinz vinegar

1 1/2 cup water

Hawaiian salt to taste

1 tbsp garlic chili sauce (same maker of the sriracha sauce)

3 lbs onions (yellow, white, maui, texas sweet onion, whatever u prefer)

Cut onions in quarters and put in jar

Mix all the other ingredaments. Stir until Hawaiian salt dissolves. Taste test to make sure get enough salt. Pour liquid in jar with onions. Let sit for 24hrs. I like to shake the bottle once in awhile. After 24hrs put in refrigerator. Then u can grind 'em with beef stew or whatever you like!

Comment

Working...
                X