Li Hing Powder Uses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Li Hing Powder Uses

I'm looking for innovative new (or old school) ideas to use Li Hing powder for an upcoming blog entry I wanna' write.

Here's what I already know tastes really ono with Li Hing Powder:

• Frozen Pineapple wedges
    • Frozen Fuji Apple wedges
    Li Hing Mui Vinaigrette, in this case served with a whole poached Hamakua Springs Tomato and cucumbers, ala Ala Wong's...

Honestly, that's one of the best salad dressings I've ever tasted.

I've already tried Kahuku Corn dusted with Li Hing powder. It's OK, but doesn't pair as well as some of the other flavors with corn, such as Teriyaki and Furikake.

I've also already tried Li Hing powder dusted on popcorn, which was also just OK, but wasn't as complimentary as I had hoped.

It seems the sweet, sour 'n salty flavor goes best with foods that are high in acidity, such as the tomato in that salad and the tart pineapple and fuji apple.

I'm wondering how I could make a Li Hing sauce that would work well with, say, BBQ pork ribs or salmon. Something like that. Or any other tried and true applications you're aware of using Li Hing powder would be great.

Mahalo!
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Li Hing Powder Uses

A margarita with the rim of the glass dusted in li hing powder? I'm sure I've seen that somewhere!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      A margarita with the rim of the glass dusted in li hing powder? I'm sure I've seen that somewhere!
      Word on the street is that Buzz's may have been the first. That was the first use that came to my mind ... but I figured everybody already knew that (and that I was one of the last to learn it).

Comment

When all else fails, just wet your finger and stick it in the powder bag!

Has anybody tried baking/grilling pineapple pieces, etc. with it on?
        Would it burn and turn sour, or worse?

Does it have MSG in it?
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I liked the Li Hing Chicken plate lunch at the place by the shoe store across from Puck's Alley on University and King.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
            Does it have MSG in it?
            Usually not, but a lot of the powders are made with an artificial sweetener, aspartame (a/k/a NutraSweet), which causes an allergic reaction and headache in some people. You can find it sweetened with sugar instead.

Comment

That sucks! Thank you for that info.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                I've seen li hing margaritas for sale at UH football games ($10 a glass!), but I don't know if the rims of the glasses they are served in are dusted with li hing powder as the drinks are dispensed pre-made from a frozen drink mixer. I'm guessing the drink just ends up served in a plastic glass without any li hing powder garnishment.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy View Post
                  I've seen li hing margaritas for sale at UH football games ($10 a glass!), but I don't know if the rims of the glasses they are served in are dusted with li hing powder as the drinks are dispensed pre-made from a frozen drink mixer. I'm guessing the drink just ends up served in a plastic glass without any li hing powder garnishment.
                  And still worth evey dime of that $10. You betcha..., wink!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    Usually not, but a lot of the powders are made with an artificial sweetener, aspartame (a/k/a NutraSweet), which causes an allergic reaction and headache in some people. You can find it sweetened with sugar instead.
                    I was just in Don Quijote yesterday looking for more Li Hing Powder, where they had several knock-off brands; all of which had aspartame and MSG in it.

The Jade brand Li Hing Powder is the best I've tasted yet. According to the label on the bag I've got here, the ingredients are: salt, water, sugar, dextrose, monohydrate, malic acid and red color #40, yellow color #5&6. So no msg or artificial sweetener here.

I forgot to mention Li Hing Cranberry Sauce, which is also excellent! We were first introduced to this by the Pacific Beach Hotel, where we ordered a Turkey-to-Go package a few years back, which included Li Hing Cranberry sauce.

It's easy to make: Simply mix in Li Hing Powder to your regular Cranberry sauce to taste.

We've been doing that every year since. Try it. Combined with the cranberry flavor, it pairs really well with the turkey. Ono!
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                    X