Haiti earthquake disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haiti earthquake disaster

People who want to help those affected by the Haitian earthquake can make a donation to the American Red Cross International Response Fund at www.Redcross.org or by calling 1-800-RED-CROSS.
    Donations can also be sent to the American Red Cross, P.O. Box 37243, Washington, D.C. 20013, or online at www.redcross.org.
    Locally, you can also call in your donations to the Hawaii Red Cross at 739-8109 or mail your donation to American Red Cross, Hawaii State Chapter, 4155 Diamond Head Road, Honolulu, HI 96816.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Haiti earthquake disaster

My donation is going to an organization called "Doctors Without Borders" which was already working a mission in Haiti. They are pretty much without any supplies right now. Their website is www.msf.org.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

For those interested in helping immediately, simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill.
      What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Both of those posts are excellent suggestions. Thanks!
        I'm a big fan of Doctors Without Borders, who provide a fantastic service. I also recommend the medical Mercy ships, http://www.mercyships.org/content/home . My father (a doctor) was involved in the beginning of this group and served on board the ship for a while.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I chose Doctors without Borders at the time of the Indonesian Tsunami, instead of the Red Cross, because I really appreciate what they do in going into areas that are sometimes dangerous (Sudan for example) and for doing their work without being associated with a religious group. and the Red Cross is such a huge well funded group that I prefer giving what little I can to a smaller group with greater needs. There was a film clip on MSNBC today that said they are working totally without any meds in Haiti. They have also lost some staff members to the earthquake also.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Meanwhile, in addition to Pat Robertson's un-helpful comments, we also have Rush Limbaugh's heartless take on aid (from the AP):

The White House is firing back at Rush Limbaugh after the conservative talk radio host urged people not to donate to relief efforts in Haiti.

Spokesman Robert Gibbs says there are always people who say "really stupid things" during a crisis. He says it's sad that Limbaugh would use the power of his pulpit to convince people not to assist those in need.

Limbaugh said on his radio show Wednesday that he wouldn't trust that money donated to Haiti through the White House Web site would actually go to the relief efforts. He said Americans don't need to contribute to earthquake relief because they already donate to Haiti through their income taxes.

Comment

I think it is best to give money directly to the charities and one with good track records. Food for the poor http://www.foodforthepoor.org/ has been on the ground in haiti for a long time as well as dominican republic. 97.7 % of monies given go to the needy with less than 1% for administration they are one of the biggest charities in the US.
              $12.00 can feed a family of five for a week. and at this tine of need can mean the difference between life and death.
              the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                Meanwhile, in addition to Pat Robertson's un-helpful comments, we also have Rush Limbaugh's heartless take on aid (from the AP):

The White House is firing back at Rush Limbaugh after the conservative talk radio host urged people not to donate to relief efforts in Haiti.

Spokesman Robert Gibbs says there are always people who say "really stupid things" during a crisis. He says it's sad that Limbaugh would use the power of his pulpit to convince people not to assist those in need.

Limbaugh said on his radio show Wednesday that he wouldn't trust that money donated to Haiti through the White House Web site would actually go to the relief efforts. He said Americans don't need to contribute to earthquake relief because they already donate to Haiti through their income taxes.
                Rush Limbaugh critics may think he's harsh, but sometimes cold statements bring back the reality to people. This country's government can barely take care of itself and balance a checkbook, but as soon as some third-world country falls apart, we flush money right into it. And then years later, we complain that we're always in debt and the government doesn't help American citizens.

As someone said in another forum, why not "(this country, this country, or even Big Island)?" Unless you're a dollar-a-day donor to every charitable organization in existence, you shouldn't be hypocritical and feel good about yourself just because you donate only in an emergency. Because 2 weeks later, you're going to walk down the street and totally ignore the bum on the sidewalk with his coin cup... a fellow AMERICAN.

Third world disaster reliefs don't work. Somalia = FAIL. Sudan = FAIL. Rwanda = FAIL. Haiti will be next.

I've accepted your opinions. This is mine.

Comment

Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
                  I've accepted your opinions. This is mine.
                  WTF?

People are suffering in Haiti! Don't you have one ounce of compassion in your soul? Your post is very perplexing. I presume that people would never be that mean spirited, but your post proves what a pollyana I am. Matapule has seen people banished from families in Tonga for this kind of insensitivity. I'm flabbergasted!

BFD, someday, if not already, you will reap the fruits of your callousness.
                  Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
                    For those interested in helping immediately, simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill.
                    Is this an AT&T only number? I'm really text challenged and can't figure out how to do this on my Mobi phone!

Comment

Third world disaster reliefs don't work. Somalia = FAIL. Sudan = FAIL. Rwanda = FAIL. Haiti will be next.
                      Sometimes there's too much to do to totally succeed; does that mean we shouldn't try?
                      Even American disaster relief fails. Remember Katrina in New Orleans?
                      So what - we should turn our backs?

Is America still 'the world's richest country?' I doubt it. Luxembourg may even be richer, per-capita. Do their governments donate to relief efforts? I don't know.

I do know that a significant number of beggars in Hawaii, standing on the side of the road with folded cardboard signs that say "will work for food" not only know you won't offer them work or food, but that enough people will give them a dollar or so instead - then after they are satisfied with their take, they walk around the corner to their car - which is much nicer than mine - and drive home, which is also probably nicer than mine. Though some truly are in need.

If you have compassion, and means, and want to help, check out your chosen charity online, to make certain your money goes where you want it to. We've been piling up tragic earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes and the like quite a bit lately, so there's a lot of need going around.

Why should we be like the fat-cat bankers and billionaire ripoff artists of whom we have been complaining lately?

Will the countries be grateful for our help? Probably not, but that's not the point, is it?

If I am able to help one person who is truly in need, it is worth it to me.

Here's an interesting list to check out!
                      Here's another view, just by GDP, not per-capita!
                      Last edited by Kaonohi; January 15, 2010, 12:08 PM. Reason: List, and another view!
                      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                      ~ ~
                      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

...as soon as some third-world country falls apart, we flush money right into it.
                        I guess you have trouble grasping that your brothers and sisters, fellow human beings on this limited ball of a planet, are hurting, badly, and that this is one of those times where national and political boundaries are irrelevant. Even earthquakes understand that.
                        Originally posted by matapule View Post
                        I presume that people would never be that mean spirited...
                        Let's hang on to that, matapule.
                        Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                        Sometimes there's too much to do to totally succeed; does that mean we shouldn't try?
                        Couldn't have said it better myself, Kaonohi.

Comment

Rush Limbaugh critics may think he's harsh, [...]
                          Nah, not harsh. Sick is more appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            He said Americans don't need to contribute to earthquake relief because they already donate to Haiti through their income taxes.
                            This country's government can barely take care of itself and balance a checkbook, but as soon as some third-world country falls apart, we flush money right into it. And then years later, we complain that we're always in debt and the government doesn't help American citizens.
                            I need to add that it's clear you missed a key point. You are complaining about American governmental aid - while Limbaugh was discouraging individual Americans from contributing. Completely different things, you see?

Comment

Both these stories are terribly sad:

Security concerns cause doctors to leave hospital, quake victims

As Wallets Open For Haiti, Credit Card Companies Take A Big Cut

Comment

Working...
                              X