UH Logo II: Electric Boogaloo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UH Logo II: Electric Boogaloo

Well. We all remember how badly the last attempt at a new, systemwide logo for the University of Hawaii system went. Now, we're invited to comment on the sequel. Six designs from three local firms are on display. The Honolulu Advertiser reports:
    The six designs are by Clarence Lee Design & Associates of Honolulu, Sae Design of Maui and Graphic House of Honolulu. Each firm will receive $5,000 for the work done already and the firm selected will receive an additional $5,000 to complete the final design work.
    I'm not impressed. I can recall several publicly submitted logos collected by the Star-Bulletin last year that I liked more than these (my stepbrother sent some in, too), and they didn't cost a cent. Further, as the Advertiserpiece notes, this new "systemwide" logo will not replace the UH seal, the Manoa athletics logo, nor the "V" logo used at UH-Hilo. How is this "systemwide" again?

Re: UH Logo II: Electric Boogaloo

Ryan, I couldn't agree with you more!
    I went to http://www.hawaii.edu/news/brand/finalsix.php to see.
    The six new designs are all horrible, with the possible exception of design #3. It is the only one of the six that even comes close to showing a U and an H in its design.
    I clicked on each design and read the information about them. It's all very interesting, except that they all have Hawaiian symbolism that won't mean a thing to anyone but Hawaii residents!
    Other than #3, not one of them gives me even the faintest clue that they represent UH.
    Assuming that the logo will represent UH on the mainland and around the world, then the current UH logo surpasses these six designs by miles and miles.
    Keep the current logo.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I agree, all are ugly.

#1 with the shield in the middle of the Pacific could be slightly better if it had a stylized UH in the middle of the pacific instead of the shield. Or maybe just put the academic logo into the pacific...ha! Also it is too busy with all of the lines.

#2 someone mentioned it looked like an ice cream cone inside a shield

#3 to me looks too much like it belongs in the background of an "Austin Powers" poster. Also kind of looks like the psychedelic Honda "H" logo.

#4 While it doesn't say Hawaii, to me is the better of the 6 evils.

#5 someone mentioned it looked like a lady bending over. 2 legs, a skirt and I'll leave the flame to someone else.

#6 Kind of reminds me of Blue Cross/Blue Sheild medical insurance logo with a flame on top of it.

The U.H. should just use the academic logo as its systemwide brand... the one that appears on the diplomas. That would end these costly new logo exercises.

NEXT........
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

This entire exercise is stupid, it was stupid in the first (and far more expensive) round, and it is stupid in this one.

They have a perfectly decent "logo" already in the classic seal with some academic echoes, even (gasp) a book!

Comment

I just saw this on the Honolulu Advertiser website today, and I bet with the help of some image professionals, we can do better.

Can we have our own contest here to see who can make the best UH logo (of course, this is just for fun only, and won't be submitting it to anyone related to UH). I think it would be fun.
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Had to smile at the suggestions that a few of the kids had sent in...really cute . Agreed that the six chosen designs aren't at all appealing, what happens next?
            Retired Senior Member

Comment

At today's Bytemarks geek lunch, more than a few folks gave a thumbs up to Lee Cataluna's "cut to the chase" editorial on the UH logo debacle in Tuesday's Honolulu Advertiser. She writes: "'Malamalama' means, in part, 'clarity in thinking.' It's a fine image. Leave it alone and fix the institution for which it stands."

Well, UH followed the will of the masses and indeed chose none of the above.

Originally posted by Albert
              They have a perfectly decent "logo" already in the classic seal with some academic echoes, even (gasp) a book!
              And $151,000 and 18 months later, they finally came to the same conclusion.

Comment

Working...
              X