PDA

View Full Version : Thoughtful questions... possible answers

Menehune Man
February 14th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Something that you've thought about? Be creative...

Here's mine.
You know how 'they' say that a man with a beard is hiding something?
I purpose that it's actually the opposite and think the face's natural state is proper.
Means the clean shaven look must be the one hiding something? The beard at least.
Just thinking here...

TATTRAT
February 14th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I had a beard. . .I just liked having one. Only thing I hid, was a bird or two and some nesting squirrels.

Creative-1
February 14th, 2010, 09:33 PM
I've had a beard since my hippie days. It was long then, but nicely trimmed now.

I was never hiding. Lazy, perhaps. Wanting to look older, when I was a 28 year old business consultant.

My thoughtful question:
Why do so many Spanish names have a Z sound?
(Lopez, Ramirez, Gonzales, Hernandez, Diaz, etc)

Why do so many Russian surnames have a V sound?
(Pavlov, Smirnov, Medvedev, Breznev, Nabakov, etc.)

Why do so many Chinese names have a G sound?
(Ching, Chang, Chong, Ming, Wang, Yang, etc)

Why do so many Scandinavian names have Sen?
(Olsen, Hansen, Andersen, Larsen, Nielsen, etc)

Why do so many German names have an R sound?
(Wagner, Schneider, Muller, Meyer, Becker, etc)

Why do so many Irish names have a Y?
Murphy, Ryan, Kennedy, Lynch, O'Reilly, Doyle, etc)

Why do so many Italian names have am I or O?
Ferrari, Mancini, Lombardi, Moretti, Romano, Colombo,
Marino, Gallo, etc)

Why do so many Polish names have a K or ski sound?
(Kowalski, Kaminski, Zielinski, Jaworski, Nowak, Wozniak)

Why are so many English names colorful? Or monosyllabic?
(Brown, Green. White, Black, Rose, Jones, Smith, Wood, Clarke)

I'm sure many are son of kind of things, or plurals.

craigwatanabe
February 14th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Why do you need a left turn signal when turning left in a left turn ONLY lane? Where else could you be driving?

Why do handicapped people not have to pay the parking meter? Are they poor too?

Why do commercial doors have to open outwards while residential doors open inwards?

Why are men's buttonholes on the opposite side than women's? Are there more left-handed women than right?

When you reuse a plastic bag for trash and then throw it out, technically is that still recycling?

If it's required to speak English fluently while sitting in the emergency aisle seats of an airliner, then why are the instructions for those occupants written in five languages?

And finally...If it's called the Bill of Rights, what about the rest of us not named Bill or those who are Democrats? :D

Walkoff Balk
February 14th, 2010, 10:24 PM
A woman with a beard is named Liz.

tutusue
February 14th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Why do you need a left turn signal when turning left in a left turn ONLY lane? Where else could you be driving?[...]
Straight ahead! Saw it happen just last week. :eek:

surlygirly
February 14th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Why do you drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?

If you spin a cow around really fast, do you get whipped cream?

matapule
February 15th, 2010, 02:50 AM
Why do you need a left turn signal when turning left in a left turn ONLY lane? Where else could you be driving?

I'm not making this up.

In Mexico, if you want to turn left, you must get in the far right lane!

In Mexico, a left turn signal means it is okay to pass me on the left!

I've seen see nasty accidents when unkowledgeable gringos turn left with their signal on from the left lane and get T boned in the driver's door.

Kaonohi
February 15th, 2010, 09:48 AM
I purpose that it's actually the opposite and think the face's natural state is proper.
Consider how many insurance salesppl, used-car salesppl, real-estate salesppl, and lawyers have beards. Few.

Why do so many Scandinavian names have Sen?
Why do so many Polish names have a K or ski sound?
"Sen" is the equivalent of son.
"Ski" (or ska for women) means 'from. (Golinski = From Golen)

1. Why do handicapped people not have to pay the parking meter? Are they poor too?

2. Why do commercial doors have to open outwards while residential doors open inwards?

3. Why are men's buttonholes on the opposite side than women's?
1. Some spinal injuries make it difficult to handle coins (central cord syndrome).
2. Fire hazard. Once there was a fire in a night club that only had a revolving door (The Cocoanut Grove was a nightclub in Boston, Mass.). Panicked patrons rushed the door, which were subsequently jammed due to the press of bodies. 492 people died. Since then it is a fire safety requirement that commercial doors open outward.
3. So you know if you are wearing a woman's or man's shirt?

That's the few that I know.

Adri
February 15th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Something that you've thought about? Be creative...

Here's mine.
Means the clean shaven look must be the one hiding something? The beard at least.
Just thinking here...

Wasn't there a biblical prohibition against men shaving or cutting their beards?

Ah, here we go:

http://www.seedofabraham.net/beard.html

Shaving or removing a beard was considered a severe punishment or humiliation

http://bestofbunker.blogspot.com/2010/01/biblical-case-for-beard-part-1.html

D'Alani
February 15th, 2010, 11:00 AM
[quote=craigwatanabe;251659] Why are men's buttonholes on the opposite side than women's? Are there more left-handed women than right?

I read somewhere it is because when buttons were first introduced only the well to do could afford them and they had maids who would dress them. The maids would be facing the woman she is dressing thus the buttons were put on the left side of the blouse to make easier for to button. I don't know why it wasn't the same for the men for I'm sure someone dressed them also.

Kimo
February 15th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Why are men's buttonholes on the opposite side than women's?

I heard it's from the days when men wore swords/scabbards on their left hip, and therefore it was easier to reach into your shirt (or something like that) to grab your sword.

But that doesn't really explain why women's are the other way.

LikaNui
February 15th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Why are there big tissues for your little nose but little tissues for your big butt?

And the always popular question of how come weiners come in packs of 8 but hot dog buns come in packs of 6?
Maybe they think we're gonna feed two weiners to the puppy.

Menehune Man
February 15th, 2010, 09:36 PM
What great responses! Very funny and thought provoking too.
Really yea why? :p

Peshkwe
February 16th, 2010, 01:20 AM
Why do dogs feet smell like Fritos?

Amati
February 16th, 2010, 02:00 AM
Why do dogs feet smell like Fritos? Or, why do Fritos smell like dog's feet?

Amati
February 16th, 2010, 02:07 AM
a beard
How did Tarzan shave?
WHY did Tarzan shave (especially before Jane came along)?

craigwatanabe
February 16th, 2010, 09:13 AM
How did Tarzan shave?
WHY did Tarzan shave (especially before Jane came along)?

The big question is why did Tarzan shave his legs!:eek:

matapule
February 16th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Why did Tarzan wear a loin cloth? Maybe to avoid injuries when swinging through the jungle?

Kaonohi
February 16th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Why did Tarzan wear a loin cloth? Maybe to avoid injuries when swinging through the jungle?
I haven't studies all cultures... but of those I have been exposed to (and that's a lot!) I have not seen a culture, no matter how "primitive," that does not use some form of genital covering.

The real question is: why does everyone (including Tarzan but excepting nudists) cover their genitals?

matapule
February 16th, 2010, 01:16 PM
I have not seen a culture, no matter how "primitive," that does not use some form of genital covering.

There were several cultures, primarily in Africa. BUT the local, indigenous population where I live, the Pericues, were completely nude when the Spanish explored the area in the early 1500's. That was changed in short order by the Catholic missionaries.

The current anthropological thinking is that this Pericue culture, which was distinctly different than the "indians" of mainland Mexico and northern Baja, may very well have been immigrants from Hawai'i.

Kaonohi
February 16th, 2010, 07:29 PM
There were several cultures, primarily in Africa. BUT the local, indigenous population where I live, the Pericues, were completely nude when the Spanish explored the area in the early 1500's. That was changed in short order by the Catholic missionaries.

The current anthropological thinking is that this Pericue culture, which was distinctly different than the "indians" of mainland Mexico and northern Baja, may very well have been immigrants from Hawai'i.

Thank you Mata!
Another reason to get off my butt and into research again!
(Hah!)
get off my computer, woman!

We will be talking at you.... (In his dreams!)

K :-)

Time to turn my computer over to my partner....

Kalalau
February 19th, 2010, 03:10 PM
We visited a museum in Balboa Park a few months ago. One feature was a large mural depicting the building of the first mission by the local indians, all of whom were shown modestly clothed in long white pants and shirts. Near by there was a small sign explaining that the original mural had shown the indians historically accurately, wearing loin cloths, but reality was too horrendous for the powers that were, so the long pants and shirts were added. From what I have read most tribes covered the genitals as a means of protection more than modesty. Of course on some south sea islands women are free to walk bare breasted but custom requires that the ankles be covered. There is a nude beach within an easy drive from here, swimming nude is the only way to go. Yet surfing nude, as free feeling as it is, leaves ugly wax build up in inconvenient er...places. Lets just say nude surfing is not all its cracked up to be.

The note about the Pericues is very interesting!

cezanne
February 20th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Thought about this on the way home yesterday: Sometimes I say "shoots" instead of a plain "okay". But why? What does literal sense of the word have to do with saying okay? :confused:

Kaonohi
February 20th, 2010, 09:09 AM

Nakedness is in the eye of the beholder. I remember a New Guinea population where the men were reported as naked, but subsequent investigation showed the men wore elaborate "penis sheaths," perhaps to enhance their assumed prowess. I forget what the women wore, or didn't.

Back to the Pericue (thanks much Mata - I'm abashed I passed over them, particularly because of their incongruity! Pericue are a fascinating culture with the potential to overthrow many migration theories).

From this report (http://www.crystalinks.com/pericues.html):

"The missionary descriptions indicated that the men were naked and the women wore grass skirts, and they were very tall and slim," Gonzalez added. "They became extinct during the 18th century due to the lifestyle changes imposed by the missionaries to a sedentary way of life."

Other reports (http://pweb.jps.net/~dlaylander/doc.belding.htm)have them burning down two missions

"the missions of Santiago and San Jose del Cabo were destroyed by them in the year 1734"

(Perhaps that was the cause of their alleged extinction - see what clothes can make you do? I say "alleged" because individual full-blooded pericue have been reported in modern times.)

DNA samples indicate an origin in SE Asia or Australasia - very similar to Polynesians. Their cranial remains are quite unlike other Amerindian populations.

Kaonohi
February 20th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Thought about this on the way home yesterday: Sometimes I say "shoots" instead of a plain "okay". But why? What does literal sense of the word have to do with saying okay? :confused:
First thing came to my mind was it may be an acceptable substitute and shorthand for "sh*t, it's no problem" or some such. :eek:

D'Alani
February 20th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I think it's a sort of a pidgin way to say "sure thing" Like when someone says eh we go so and so place and you say shoots we go.

surlygirly
February 20th, 2010, 05:20 PM

My whole dog smells like Fritos. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that! And I still want to know, why do you drive on a parkway and park on a driveway. That really bothers me!

sophielynette
February 20th, 2010, 09:33 PM
My whole dog smells like Fritos.

Male domestic rats smell like corn chips, while female domestic rats smell like grape soda. Or so I'm told, I've never had a female.

cezanne
February 21st, 2010, 07:30 PM
THOUGHTFUL QUESTION: Why do people text? Isn't it easier just to talk to that person?

POSSIBLE ANSWER: I dunno, maybe I'm just jealous because I can't text as fast as anyone else on this planet.

sophielynette
February 21st, 2010, 09:33 PM
THOUGHTFUL QUESTION: Why do people text? Isn't it easier just to talk to that person?

POSSIBLE ANSWER: I dunno, maybe I'm just jealous because I can't text as fast as anyone else on this planet.

Possible answer: When all you have to say is that you're at someone's house to pick them up, it's quicker and easier to just text. Or if you have a question but it's not urgent/you don't want to bother them, especially if they're in work/school. I'm not the sort to hold entire conversations through texting, but when it's a quick exchange, I prefer it over the phone.

helen
February 21st, 2010, 10:28 PM

That depends on the situation. I am in a group with a size of 8 people all having some form of a texting device (cell phone or iPhone) one person can send a message via text to all members of the group at once. Trouble is on the receiving end you don't know if the message you got was addressed to you or to the entire group.

Also with a text message the reciever can in most cases at least read the message without distrubing others.

Menehune Man
February 22nd, 2010, 02:07 PM

I'm a non-text'r just no need for me.
But as others have pointed out there are good reasons sometimes.

spookrepitus
February 22nd, 2010, 05:05 PM
It was definitely more efficient to just text "eggs!" to my hubby today.

He knew what I meant.

Menehune Man
February 22nd, 2010, 05:24 PM
Sometimes I say "shoots" instead of a plain "okay". But why?

I think it's a sort of a pidgin way to say "sure thing" Like when someone says eh we go so and so place and you say shoots we go.

Exactly! Just like "I'm in".

sophielynette
February 22nd, 2010, 10:49 PM
It was definitely more efficient to just text "eggs!" to my hubby today.

He knew what I meant.

although I think it would have been quite entertaining to call him up, yell "eggs!" into the phone, and then hang up without another word.

At least, I'd be entertained.. *plots 4am prank calls to her mother*

spookrepitus
February 23rd, 2010, 02:19 AM
although I think it would have been quite entertaining to call him up, yell "eggs!" into the phone, and then hang up without another word.

Sounds more like something he'd do to me. I hope he's not reading this...give him ideas...

Menehune Man
March 4th, 2010, 12:46 AM
How come we can't buy alcohol after 12, though bars are open later?
Also someone could walk into the store and buy 20 cases if they wish at 11:45pm?

It just ain't right. :mad:

spookrepitus
March 4th, 2010, 02:37 AM
Also someone could walk into the store and buy 20 cases if they wish at 11:45pm?

No it ain't, but I have lived (am living) in states with even crazier liquor laws.

Massachusetts: liquor cannot be sold on Sunday (except for New Hampshire border towns where they have to compete) but the bars are open.

Utah: No bars open on election day. Draught beer stronger than 3.2% ("heavy beer") is not allowed. Big restrictions on who can sell the bottled stuff and when too. Hard liquor, I believe, can only be sold by the state through their own stores, which have inconvenient hours to say the least. I could go on and on and on...

craigwatanabe
March 4th, 2010, 09:38 AM

who in their right mind will wait till after midnight to buy alcohol? By the time midnight comes around I'm too drunk to get more anyway.

Menehune Man
March 4th, 2010, 12:30 PM
who in their right mind will wait till after midnight to buy alcohol?

HaHa! Or didn't stock up, but gets off work at midnight maybe? :o

Menehune Man
March 19th, 2010, 02:13 AM
I think this is amazing and wonder how the migration started? Any ideas?

The Pacific(Hawaiian-Mexican) Humpback Whales.

In fall they leave their native Alaskan waters, where their food is...
Swim thousands of miles south, have calves, nurse said calves, and swim home...
Before eating again!

Weird to think of how that started. :confused:

Menehune Man
April 5th, 2010, 03:28 PM
What do you think... pertaining to gender and hair length?

I'll withold my thoughts till hopefully others ponder. ;)

Menehune Man
April 7th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Okay then... Why is it that there is gender discrimination when it comes to hair length?

For the most part, women can have their head shaved or long enough to reach the floor and of course anywhere in between and it be acceptable?

While men can be shaved to barely shoulder length hair or it'll be thought of as unacceptable in many situations?

craigwatanabe
April 7th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Okay then... Why is it that there is gender discrimination when it comes to hair length?

For the most part, women can have their head shaved or long enough to reach the floor and of course anywhere in between and it be acceptable?

While men can be shaved to barely shoulder length hair or it'll be thought of as unacceptable in many situations?

Okay then let's take it to the extreme...why is it okay for women to wear men's clothes and look perfectly normal, yet men...:rolleyes:

Amati
April 7th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Okay then... Why is it that there is gender discrimination when it comes to hair length?For the most part, women can have their head shaved or long enough to reach the floor and of course anywhere in between and it be acceptable?While men can be shaved to barely shoulder length hair or it'll be thought of as unacceptable in many situations?
Yep, men are scrutinzed and judged on their hair length. On the flip side (yes, bad pun), working women are practically forbidden from having grey hair. Take a look at any meeting room full of people: mostly short hair on men, and mostly dyed hair on women. :confused:

Kaonohi
April 8th, 2010, 02:30 PM
In undergraduate school I had hair (I'm male) down to my belt. This was the '70's and I had no discrimination.

When I went to graduate school, I was newly married and cut my hair at my betrothed request.

Mostly now it's a 'comfortable' 'easy management' length, though I would never cut it if I didn't need to please others.

I resent gender assignments by society. People should be who they are.
\And it should be their choice, IMNSHO.

K

Menehune Man
April 10th, 2010, 01:54 PM
How come the Earth moves so fast, but we don't even feel it? Weird yeah?!
velocity=107,300 km/h (or if you prefer 67,062 miles per hour)
At what speed does the earth move around the sun? (http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=356)

Leo Lakio
April 10th, 2010, 02:30 PM
How come the Earth moves so fast, but we don't even feel it? Weird yeah?!If it stopped suddenly, your question would be answered.

acousticlady
April 10th, 2010, 03:08 PM
How come the Earth moves so fast, but we don't even feel it? Weird yeah?!
velocity=107,300 km/h (or if you prefer 67,062 miles per hour)
At what speed does the earth move around the sun? (http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=356)
add to that, approximately 1000 mi/hr rotating on it's axis (at the equator) and you got one fast moving ball. It is weird we don't feel it. Maybe it has something to do with that Newton guy. :cool:

Menehune Man
April 10th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Maybe it has something to do with that Newton guy.

Sir Isaac's Most Excellent Idea...
Now came Newton's truly brilliant insight: if the force of gravity reaches to the top of the highest tree, might it not reach even further; in particular, might it not reach all the way to the orbit of the Moon! Then, the orbit of the Moon about the Earth could be a consequence of the gravitational force, because the acceleration due to gravity could change the velocity of the Moon in just such a way that it followed an orbit around the earth.

Hmmmm?:rolleyes:

Anyone with a question to ponder?

acousticlady
April 29th, 2010, 11:38 AM
So...... how come I can buy Maui grown sugar in the raw cheaper in New York than I can in Maui?????

surlygirly
April 29th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Why is it that when you ship something it's called cargo, but if you send something by truck, it's called shipment??

anapuni808
April 29th, 2010, 12:28 PM
So...... how come I can buy Maui grown sugar in the raw cheaper in New York than I can in Maui?????

The sugar is probably refined somewhere on the mainland and then shipped back here. Thats been an ongoing problem for years.

Leo Lakio
April 29th, 2010, 12:49 PM
The sugar is probably refined somewhere on the mainland and then shipped back here.Spot on. Raw sugar from HC&S is shipped from Maui to Crockett, CA, for refining, for example.

craigwatanabe
April 29th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Just goes to show ya how expensive it is to live here in Paradise!

surlygirly
May 4th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Here's a question that has always bothered me. Why do people use "dear" when referring to family members when online, especially in forums? Nobody I know speaks that way in person and it's awkward.
Example: DD, DS, DH- dear daughter, dear son, dear husband.

Why can't they just say...my husband...they way they would in real life? I'm actually curious, not trying to bash anyone. For anyone here that might do that, could you tell me the reasoning behind it?

craigwatanabe
May 4th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Here's a question that has always bothered me. Why do people use "dear" when referring to family members when online, especially in forums? Nobody I know speaks that way in person and it's awkward.

Why can't they just say...my husband...they way they would in real life? I'm actually curious, not trying to bash anyone. For anyone here that might do that, could you tell me the reasoning behind it?

Dear Surlygirly, :D

Whether it's online, (ie a forum) or in writing in general it's a traditional greeting that is more sincere than a memo (you don't address a recipient in a memo with "dear").

To not put it down hints of insincerity towards the recipent and takes on a more business tone. Basically it's crude not to.

Sincerely,

Craig :)

Kaonohi
May 4th, 2010, 01:58 PM

Not everyone does. I don't think I do; I usually refer to my spouse by name, my kids via appropriate epithets, and my in-laws very carefully.

Now my dear cats......

K :D

surlygirly
May 4th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Dear Surlygirly, :D

Whether it's online, (ie a forum) or in writing in general it's a traditional greeting that is more sincere than a memo (you don't address a recipient in a memo with "dear").

To not put it down hints of insincerity towards the recipent and takes on a more business tone. Basically it's crude not to.

Sincerely,

Craig :)

Oh no, Dear Craig- I didn't mean like that! :p I mean- for example: someone in a different forum might be saying "my dd and I were at the store today." Why can't you just say my daughter? Why does it have to be your dear daughter? No one would say that in a conversation. Sorry if I didn't explain myself very well!

tikiyaki
May 4th, 2010, 07:58 PM

OMG...that is SO true ! :p

turtlegirl
May 5th, 2010, 08:46 PM
If large-chested women work at Hooters, do one-legged women work at IHOP? :D

tutusue
May 5th, 2010, 08:51 PM
[...]Sorry if I didn't explain myself very well!
I completely understood what you were asking. I don't have an answer tho'...but I'm curious, just like you.

Peshkwe
May 6th, 2010, 12:50 AM
I completely understood what you were asking. I don't have an answer tho'...but I'm curious, just like you.

I've only been involved in the online forum world since the late '90s and it seems to me that the D?=(dear whatevahs) is a fairly recent thing, the last two-three years or so. It probably came out after the BFF thing due to an insecure spouse wanting cutesy recognition too.

The first couple times I saw it, I thought they were talking about a person who's online nym or real name involved the initials DH.

Then it just got annoying.

D'Alani
May 6th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Maybe it's tied into texting...instead of spelling out son, daughter, wife, etc. they write DS, DD, DW, because no one would understand S, D, or W.:confused:

craigwatanabe
May 6th, 2010, 09:08 AM
if it is then it comes down to convenience or laziness. I have a friend who types his emails to me (on his computer not a cell phone) with abbreviations such as, "ru bzy tdy?" I can see if he's on his cell phone where typing entire words would be difficult on a numeric pad, but come on he's on a desktop with a full QWERTY keyboard! Pretty soon text language will transcend into the spoken language and we'll be grunting like our ancestors did when they discovered fire!:D

Peshkwe
May 6th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Dyslexics...

eW llahs ekat revo eht dlrow!!

tutusue
May 6th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I've only been involved in the online forum world since the late '90s and it seems to me that the D?=(dear whatevahs) is a fairly recent thing, the last two-three years or so.[...]
I first saw it used on usenet in the mid 90s. I had to ask what it meant!!!

Leo Lakio
May 6th, 2010, 11:27 AM
By way of the occasionally-requested explanation, I regularly use AFK to refer to my sweetie; it stands for Alpha Female from Kane`ohe.

"Alpha Female" came from a wonderful discussion in my first year on HT, when asking for suggestions as to what to call my partner. We are not married (thus eliminating "spouse" or "wife"), but have lived together for nearly 15 years now, so "girlfriend" didn't seem like a strong enough word. When AF came up as a suggestion, we seized upon it. "From Kane`ohe" ... well, that's self-explanatory (though perhaps I have long been adding that as a not-so-subconscious attempt to add some legitimacy to my Hawai`i connections, being a life-long mainland haole meself). Actually, I credit our old friend from this and other fora, Mokihana, for adding the "K" to the acronym.

CW, I hope you don't consider that laziness (either the abbreviation or the lack of marriage license! :D We've certainly covered that ground before, my friend.)

Peshkwe
May 6th, 2010, 12:38 PM
I first saw it used on usenet in the mid 90s. I had to ask what it meant!!!

Really? You musta been in some of the more genteel corners of the net. I hung out in alt.slack and alt.poser...was a little rougher neighborhood.

1stwahine
May 6th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Depending what mood I'm in...I call my husband
Dear, DH, P.K., Honey, Sweetie, and when I mad...a few others! :p

matapule
May 6th, 2010, 01:43 PM
We are not married (thus eliminating "spouse" or "wife"),

Heavens to Mergatroid, I am mortified! Well I'm glad we got that settled.

Depending what mood I'm in...I call my husband
Dear, DH, P.K., Honey, Sweetie, and when I mad...a few others! :p

When mad, call'm FAKAPICOPICO, Dat get his attntion!

Auntie, my daughter in Honolulu dis week on bacation. If someone come up to you at International Marketplace an' say day "ta'ahine fefine o'e Matapule", please gib dem big hug and good Aloha. She be cutie pie!

1stwahine
May 6th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Auntie, my daughter in Honolulu dis week on bacation. If someone come up to you at International Marketplace an' say day "ta'ahine fefine o'e Matapule", please gib dem big hug and good Aloha. She be cutie pie!

matapule, I no longer work at IMP.

I'd gladly show your daughter around
Honolulu and give her my famous
Chinatown Tour. Please have her
contact me. I'll give you my phone
number on pm.

Love and ALOHA,

Auntie Lynn

tutusue
May 6th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Really? You musta been in some of the more genteel corners of the net. I hung out in alt.slack and alt.poser...was a little rougher neighborhood.
Must admit, those are 2 groups I never heard of! I hung out in a few of the Hawaii newsgroups which had their share of troublemakers. I ended up spending the most time in soc.culture.hawaii because it was moderated...and for good reason, I might add! HT seems to be a bit of an off-shoot of those groups.

Peshkwe
May 6th, 2010, 03:51 PM
alt.slack revolved around The Church of the SubGenius, BOB and slackness.

alt.poser was a Poser (a 3D imaging program) and general free for all site.

Oh...and I hung out at comic book and movie sites.

surlygirly
May 6th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Prodigy! That's where I was in the early to mid-90's. Playing their maze game, mostly!

Peshkwe
May 7th, 2010, 12:29 AM
So keeping with the topic....

Where were your playgrounds on the 'net when you first discovered cyber surfing? What was your favorite site for peace or war?

craigwatanabe
May 7th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Mel's Hawaii Radio and TV forum. Back then we had really viral posters! I had to use a hacker program to find the bitch that lied about me on that forum. When I personally emailed her after finding her true identity she was shocked! Yes one can hide behind an avatar, but there are programs that can find you.

Not really a playground...well kinda, back in the late 70's we played with PLATO which used the internet in it's early days of development.

Kaonohi
May 7th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Dyslexics...

eW llahs ekat revo eht dlrow!!

I thought we was Lysdexics?

Rong? :eek:

Kaonohi
May 7th, 2010, 04:30 PM
If large-chested women work at Hooters, do one-legged women work at IHOP? :D
AND peg-legged pirates of all genders.... ;)

Walkoff Balk
May 7th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Not really a playground...well kinda, back in the late 70's we played with PLATO which used the internet in it's early days of development.

Goes back to the 70's? I thought that was the time of CB radios. When did Al Gore invent the internet?

Walkoff Balk
May 7th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Mel's Hawaii Radio and TV forum. Back then we had really viral posters! I had to use a hacker program to find the bitch that lied about me on that forum. When I personally emailed her after finding her true identity she was shocked!

I love that story. You turn on the light, and den the kakaroach like try hide.

craigwatanabe
May 8th, 2010, 12:22 AM
Plato was used by various Universities around the country where the Internet was exclusively hooked up to. An acronym for Programmed Logic for Automated Teaching Operations it was made available in the UH/Manoa's computer room that was open 24/7 back in the 70's.

It helped that back then IP addresses were seen on the forums so you could see who was chatting. But using a ping program I was able to track where she was flaming from. Apparently she had no firewall in place.

Menehune Man
July 1st, 2010, 08:04 AM
Why are we like this or that?

Nature: is what the genes our parents give us.
Nurture: is how our parents (or whomever) raise us.
Environment: is the type of society we live in.
Self: is what our minds thinks/feels is correct.
(When I refer to the "self," I am referring to the "higher self:" The part of you that is connected to the Big Guy or nature or the Universe, or whatever you believe in.)
Ego: For our purposes, suffice it to say that the ego is the part of the self that most people present to the world. Think about individuals who define their worth by their beauty or their possessions. Or those people you know you have to be "careful" around because they get defensive and/or hurt easily.

Which is the most important do you think in creating what and who each of us are?

salmoned
July 2nd, 2010, 11:25 PM
None of the above. Alternate answer - serendipity.

Menehune Man
July 3rd, 2010, 10:19 AM
I was hoping to see what would come of this. Gettings answers like...
All, none, some, whatever.

Thanks salmoned. You always seem to come up with something 'different'. HaHa!

serendipity -noun

Definition: good luck in discovering unexpected things

Synonyms: luck, fortune, coincidence, chance

Serendipity is often used as a sophisticated way of describing luck. When things happen out of serendipity, it usually seems like they're meant to be, although they happen through coincidence. Serendipitous is a related adjective that means "coincidental and lucky." A perfect use of serendipity is to describe a situation where a person was pursuing something and stumbles upon an even greater find or fortune, one that was completely different from their original pursuit. For example, if you joined a club to make new friends and you ended up meeting the love of your life, that would be a perfect example of serendipity.

acousticlady
July 3rd, 2010, 02:09 PM
Why are we like this or that?

Nature: is what the genes our parents give us.
Nurture: is how our parents (or whomever) raise us.
Environment: is the type of society we live in.
Self: is what our minds thinks/feels is correct.
(When I refer to the "self," I am referring to the "higher self:" The part of you that is connected to the Big Guy or nature or the Universe, or whatever you believe in.)
Ego: For our purposes, suffice it to say that the ego is the part of the self that most people present to the world. Think about individuals who define their worth by their beauty or their possessions. Or those people you know you have to be "careful" around because they get defensive and/or hurt easily.

Which is the most important do you think in creating what and who each of us are?

Very cool question!

How about a little of all of the above + a little serendipity :D

We are the sum of all our parts.

salmoned
July 10th, 2010, 09:51 AM
A much better definition is - a gift for discovery by accident and sagacity while in pursuit of something else. This 'luck' business is quite off the mark as to the intended meaning. Serendipity applies both to our genetic endowment as well as our personal experiential (and mutational) development. It epitomizes the way nature appears to operate for us as living beings.