Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I find polishing rouge?

Hello again,

I want to polish/buff rough spots on some stainless steel. I'm looking for a place to buy jeweler's rouge and/or Tripoli. I hear a watch store is a good source for them, but I don't know of any in Honolulu.

Thanks,
    MJ
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Re: Where can I find polishing rouge?

i have seen it at Lowes, here in kona and i suppose it is available at other locations
    the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by escondido100 View Post
      i have seen it at Lowes, here in kona and i suppose it is available at other locations
      I would say another big box home improvement center but I think Anapuni would pop a heart valve if I mentioned that big orange store one more time!!! But it's in the Hardware department next to the router bits.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

O'ahu's Lowe's is too far from me, so I went to the orange place that shall not be named. Thanks for the idea Escondido.

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        But it's in the Hardware department next to the router bits.
        I wish you were working at the one I went to!

The guy at the entrance directed me to the cleaning guy. The cleaning guy directed me to the paint guy. The paint guy absolutely assured me it was in the cleaning aisle. Am I correct in assuming the employees are trained to always give an answer, even if they don't know? Of course they could have misunderstood what I was looking for (not a very common item).

So, I ignored the paint guy, headed to the Dremel section, and started looking around there until I found it. I got the jeweler's rouge (red) which seems good for a final polish. I think I'll need to go back and get the emery compound for some deeper scratches. My Dremel has a cloth and felt wheel. The felt feels firmer, so I think I'll use the emery compound on that and keep using the cloth one with the rouge.

Anyways, I'm usually happy with the service from the orange place. Return service is hassle free. The older City Mill people are very knowledgeable and fairly friendly, but always seem a little grouchy. Too many years dealing with us silly customers I guess and maybe delayed retirement?

"By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
        "

Comment

The Dremel section is typically next to the router bits too so you hit the right section.

And no associates are not trained to give an answer. If they don't know they are trained to ask for assistance from another associate or call a Department Head (Department supervisor) or a manager, but the worse thing any sales associate can do is blow smoke up you okole.

It's usually the older associates in any store that offer the more precise answers simply because we've been around the block longer and know our products. Word to the wise, look for the grey hair associates we usually walk the store during our breaks and lunch to familiarize ourselves with the over 60,000 products we sell. Not knowing is not an excuse a customer needs to hear.
          Last edited by craigwatanabe; March 29, 2010, 06:24 PM.

Comment

guys, it's really ok to use "that name" when it's appropriate! I just ragged on Craig because he was sounding like one of those infomercials you see at 3 in the morning
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
              guys, it's really ok to use "that name" when it's appropriate! I just ragged on Craig because he was sounding like one of those infomercials you see at 3 in the morning
              Speaking of which it is 2:45am.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                the worse thing any sales associate can do is blow smoke up you okole.
                Yeah, I wouldn't say they were intentionally blowing smoke. The first guy was on the young side and there are cleaning sprays for stainless steel. The guy in the cleaning aisle knew it wasn't in his area and the painting aisle was a decent guess. I caught the last guy while he was semi-rushed.

look for the grey hair associates we usually walk the store during our breaks and lunch to familiarize ourselves with the over 60,000 products we sell.
                I once went into Home Depot looking for brass pin punches. The guy in the hardware department said they only had steel ones. Before I left, he asked me what the uses were for brass (it's a softer metal which is less likely to scratch steel). He wanted to know for his own knowledge. That was impressive.
                "

Comment

brass tools are also used where a spark from a tool could be hazardous.
                  i used to work for a guy that cut holes in steel and concrete tanks at refineries.
                  they always issued us brass hammers and other items made of brass so we wouldnt create a spark near flammables and explosives.
                  the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

brass tools are also used where a spark from a tool could be hazardous.
                    Ahhh, that's good to know. I don't want to end up on the evening news because I was tinkering with a propane tank
                    "

Comment

When I worked for the Gas Company we had brass hammers to knock off the brass and steel propane hose fittings.

The more expensive route was the use of beryllium tools because of their non-ferrous nature (low iron) which allows it to be ideal non-sparking but very durable metals.

Comment

Try Schwartz Inc, on Bethel Street near Chinatown. They are a supply house for jewelers.
                        Burl Burlingame
                        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                          Try Schwartz Inc, on Bethel Street near Chinatown. They are a supply house for jewelers.
                          Ah cool, thanks for pointing them out. Never been in a jeweler's supply store before. Looking forward to seeing what kind of interesting stuff they have.

I was wandering Sear's hardware department when lo' and behold I find a whole bunch of Craftsman branded polishing rouges. They seem to be cheaper than the stuff at Home Depot, but I don't know enough to compare the qualities. It was next to the grinder equipment. They also seem to have more Dremel bits.
                          "

Comment

Working...
                          X