Hawaii Geek Meet III - Sunday, April 25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Geek Meet III - Sunday, April 25

Time flies when you're having fun! The third Hawaii Geek Meet is coming up on Sunday, April 25, 2010 at Magic Island, picnic area #40. As before, this casual, family-friendly, outdoor potluck will also serve as the HawaiiThreads birthday celebration -- our forum turns six years old this year!

Each year this event brings together a diverse, creative, thoughtful, fun mix of people who are "geeks" -- in the most inclusive, positive definition possible. As with years past, we'll have coders, designers, gadgeteers, tinkerers, astronomers (including an official contingent from the Institute for Astronomy), ham radio operators (again setting up an outpost that can connect with people on the other side of the globe), Storm Troopers from the Pacific Outpost (more than ever before, on hand to show off their handiwork)...

But this year, we'll also be joined by Christopher Graywolf and Khanate of the Golden Horde (an old-school blacksmith and swordsmith who does some amazing things), folks from the LEGO Enthusiasts Association of Hawaii (LEAHI), and... who knows who else might show up!

I hope the HawaiiThreads.com 'Ohana will be among the larger, cooler contingents on hand on April 25. If you're coming, let us know, and let us know what potluck items (and cool geek toys) you'll be bringing!

You can also RSVP (and help spread the word):

Thanks to Helen for again helping with the picnic permit!

Re: Hawaii Geek Meet III - Sunday, April 25

Menehune Man won't be able to attend, due to another event I'm locked into that day.
    Bummer. Because I really enjoyed last years and even made a new friend from it!
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I'll be there with a random assortment of cameras, a netbook, and probably a shepherd's pie, maybe a couple of friends if I can drag them along. (The shepherd's pie will help in convincing them.) No rat this year, unfortunately.
      Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
      Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Can't be complete without a breadboard sporting a wire wrapped 555-IC timer and a blinking LED.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Dang.

Cannot; have to work.

shoots. Y'all have fun and post lotsa pics!

Comment

For the picnic going to bring paper plates, forks, knifes, spoons and plastic trash bags.

Comment

Thanks, Helen! I'll bring a tent, a couple of small tables, and some chili and rice (courtesy Zippy's). There'll probably be some pizza as well. The event is a hodgepodge of several groups and coordinating supplies and a menu is almost impossible... the potluck is always a fun mix of stuff!

Comment

Took some photos of today's event. Stuff included telescopes, LEGO, Radios, Stormtroopers, video games, old and new technology (an old Polroid and a new iPad) and various food.

Comment

Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

The Dark Side ain't seen nothin' yet!

Good to see you, Auntie, and Helen, and others at the Hawaii Geek Meet! Thanks for sharing your photos, Helen. Here are a couple of other extensive galleries!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/madmarv...7623809218521/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaiii...7623806331921/

Thanks to Helen for helping secure the permit, to Zippy's and Pali T. Kaaihue of Lavanet for sponsoring some of the food, to Jeff Kang for providing power and Wi-Fi, and to each of the great groups that participated!

Comment

Working...
                    X