Can you help ID this tree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you help ID this tree?

I have a volunteer tree coming up among my snowbushes. I don't know whether to move it or cut it. I've tried the standard reference books, to no avail.

Anyone recognize it????

Kaonohi

Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Re: Can you help ID this tree?

I'm trying to recall the name of the tree but I recommend killing it rather than transplanting it. It has been used on parkways along Hawaii streets. It has a lot of berries that scatter and grow quickly into trees and the roots go deep.

Comment

Thanks, Adri.

Someone mentioned it might be a "Tree of Heaven," but I compared an online leaf image with this, and it's different.

Note the attached leaf detail; the leaflets have a supporting structure on the stem lacking in the former. I've done a lot of online searching to no avail. Next stop Dept of Ag.

~ ~

Comment

This is definitly not Ailanthus altissima - Tree of Heaven. Ailanthus has leaflets that are arranged opposite along the rachis while the photo above has alternate leaflets. I am having trouble identifying this particular plant. Probably something unique to Hawaii's microclimate.
        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

It’s a fern tree Filicium decipiens. Just google “Filicium decipiens” and you’ll get more info. It’s a common street tree (whatever that means), and I think Adri’s correct: birds love the berries and it spreads rapidly.

Comment

Yes, that's what it is! I was told it was an Australian fern tree but when I checked, the australian fern tree is hapu'u and that isn't the same as the tree pictured.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
              It’s a fern tree Filicium decipiens. Just google “Filicium decipiens” and you’ll get more info. It’s a common street tree (whatever that means), and I think Adri’s correct: birds love the berries and it spreads rapidly.
              THANK YOU, Honoruru! You stay no ka `oi!

Right on, you got it. Now, do I kill or transplant?

HT is better and faster that UH (who I asked) and DOA (who I asked).
              No wonder I come here (home) first.

LONG LIVE HAWAI`I THREADS!
              ~ ~

Comment

http://annstropics.com/Descriptions/...Fern_Tree.html
                Filicium decipiens - Japanese Fern Tree

This tree is extremely desirable for two reasons: First its symmetry is almost perfect, and second, the density of the leaves make it a great shade tree. The symmetry is natural, and requires virtually no trimming to maintain. The only trimming that a person may want to do is to remove some of the lower branches. The goal would be to create a space under the tree with enough height to place lawn chairs, allowing you to take advantage of the marvelous, cool shade the tree provides.
                The Japanese Fern Tree is a fairly slow grower, reaching a top size of 35 feet by 35 feet. It is evergreen, and will tolerate almost any soil conditions. Moisture requirement are average, and it is draught tolerant after it becomes established.
                Sounds like a nice tree, if located in an area that can accommodate a 35 foot wide and 35 foot tall tree.
                Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                  http://annstropics.com/Descriptions/...Fern_Tree.html
                  Filicium decipiens - Japanese Fern Tree

Sounds like a nice tree, if located in an area that can accommodate a 35 foot wide and 35 foot tall tree.
                  My friends at Kraus said:
                  [quote
                  Ed,
                  Definitely do not transplant it, but destroy it instead. If you move it somewhere else it will just continue to spread from its seeds.
                  Regards,
                  Fred Kraus[/quote]

It spreads rapidly via bird-carried berries, and quickly takes over un-mowed areas. Not for my acre..... thanks for the suggestion - I'd rather do shower trees or monkeypods.
                  ~ ~

Comment

Working...
                  X