Home inspector and Termite inspector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home inspector and Termite inspector

I am looking for a good home inspector. I am considering a buying a cedar home which is about 30 years old. It has had termite damage which has been repaired so I need a great termite inspector. I also need a great general inspector to make sure this house is sound. When I realized I wanted someone I could trust I remembered the great information I got on these forums when I was making my decision to move here. Can anyone recommend someone I can trust. Your help would be appreciated.

Re: Home inspector and Termite inspector

Try to find out if the previous termite damage was from ground termites. If so, make sure that the problem has been eliminated, not just temporarily halted by tenting (which can chase away the ground termites for awhile, but does not kill the nest, so they probably will return later). Some new wood and paint can give the "appearance" of having fixed the problem, so be careful and get the documentation from the sellers on just what the termite problem was and how it was addressed.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I am told by the realtor that the damage which was on the second floor was not from ground termites according to the terminix report. I plan to ask for the report before I am willing to even sign an offer contract. One good thing is the house is made from thick tongue and grove cedar wood, single wall, so no paint to hide any damage. I don't see signs of termites anywere other than the one damaged plank but I am no expert.

Anyone have a termite inspector they trust. I don't want to ask the realtor because so far I plan to go with the same agent as the seller as there is a cost savings advantage if I do so and I don't have a realtor that I trust anyway.

I could really use an inspector who would know what to look for with a cedar home.

Comment

Try Earl Kawakami at Pro-Tech Termite and Pest Control. I used him in my previous career as a property manager...

Comment

Thanks HawaiiGuy, I will check out Earl's Termite Inspection. Appreciate the reference.

As far as home inspectors since I have no recommendations so far I checked out the BBB for accredited businesses and found three I am considering.

EagleEye Home Inspection
          American Certified Home Inspection
          First Resort

Does anyone have any experience with any of these companies?

First Resort has Thermal Imaging which look interesting since it looks into the wood, might find termite damage even thought this isn't a termite company.

Comment

Working...
          X