Pres Bush speech mistake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pres Bush speech mistake?

In today's 5:00pm news on News 8, they pointed out that Pres. Bush "misread" or said the wrong thing during the signing of a bill.

If I remembered correctly, he said

"the terrorists will always keep on thinking of new ways of hurting the country, and so do we"

or something like that (if someone knows the correct version, then please correct me).
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Pres Bush speech mistake?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/....ap/index.html

Comment

[Our enemies] never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
      Ah, another entry to add to the growing collection. To think there's already been enough material for a couple of books...

That said, it's easier for me to figure out what he meant to say today than some of the other odd things that have come out of his mouth.

Comment

Another day, another notable quote. With deep thinking like this, the passage of the Akaka Bill is the least of the Native Hawaiians' worries.

Question: "What do you think tribal sovereignty means in the 21st century, and how do we resolve conflicts between tribes and the federal and state governments?"

President George W. Bush: "Tribal sovereignty means that: sovereign. You're a... you're a... you've been given sovereignty, and you're viewed as a sovereign entity. [Laughter.] And therefore the relationship between the federal government and the tribes is one between sovereign entities."

Hear it yourself here (MP3).

Comment

Yep, Bush is one of us Texans, about as South a Southerner as one can be, and he talks like one. So what? Oh, I guess he may embarass some Americans that are more influenced by outward appearances, ya know, egotistically wanting to impress and all, but I'll tell ya my bottom line, no matter how many goofs of the language he may make.

I would vote for a deaf-mute man for president if his principles were honorable! What makes the man is what he stands for and attempts to live by. (I say attempts cuz I haven't yet met a perfect person, nor candidate.) If Kerry speaks better, is a wine snob and makes a better impression in ways, he doesn't deserve my vote. The more honorable of the two, with moral and respectable beliefs should get my vote, and that...is one of the main reasons I will never vote for Kerry, nor anyone that I've ever seen on a democrat's ticket. The platform the Dems. stand on is on sandy soil, and when tested in rough times, it will fall just like a house built on the sand in a major earthquake.
          Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Bush was born in Maine. He's about as Texan as me.

Comment

Although I am a native Texan, anyone that lives many years there, talks and walks like a Texan, IS a Texan.

Secondly, doesn't matter where he was born, the message I convey is that it is absurd to vote for the better speaker, than voting for what a candidate STANDS FOR. We are electing someone to run this country based upon what they believe in, not for someone to win the class debate.

Comment

"President Bush was born on July 6, 1946, in New Haven, Connecticut, and he grew up in Midland and Houston, Texas. He received a bachelor's degree from Yale University in 1968, then served as an F-102 fighter pilot in the Texas Air National Guard. President Bush received a Master of Business Administration from Harvard Business School in 1975. After graduating, he moved back to Midland and began a career in the energy business." source, www.whitehouse.gov~

Well, see there! Where he grew up matters a lot more than where he exited the birth canal, common sense.

Bush IS about as Southern as one can get, without being a redneck.

Comment

I agree, owning a yacht or appreciating wine or being a snob is hardly a qualifier for the position of POTUS. On the other hand, I think it's ridiculous to discount whether someone is articulate, a good speaker, a persuasive orator, when judging their qualities as a leader, or politician. This is a person who needs to inspire, to enlighten, to inform.

There's a difference between being "plain spoken" (which I can appreciate, and know Kerry certainly isn't) and being inarticulate, often to the point of being incoherent. Even if you concede, as some might, that the inability to pronounce "nuclear" isn't a deal breaker -- yes, in some regions/accents, that's just the way it goes -- I find it incredible that most people don't sometimes cringe in pain when he hits a rough patch during an interview or speech.

And while most of the time he struggles to find words (or to follow the script), when he does get a flash of inspiration, he'll say something like, "Bring 'em on!"

On its own - being mushmouthed, being faltering, stammering, but occasionally shooting off and still finding his foot in his mouth - shouldn't be the biggestreason to vote for or against someone. But it's not irrelevant.

As for being firm in his convictions? That's all well and good, and to be sure, flip-flopping is no winning strategy. But believing something and wanting something to the point of ignoring or avoiding any contrary evidence or thinking to the contrary is also a failing. Sticking to your guns is a virtue, perhaps, but so is having an open mind.

As for his Texas ties, whatever. He identifies as Texan, he loves the hat, he lived and worked there, fine. But try as he might, he deserves no points for the "regular Joe Farmhand" act. He - and his opponent - are swimming in too much money to play that game.
                  Last edited by pzarquon; August 11, 2004, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Karen
                    Bush IS about as Southern as one can get, without being a redneck.
                    I'm southern and I beg to differ that he's not a redneck.

See there!

And you really don't want to argue common sense, do you? Common sense says that if someone kills 3,000 of your citizens, you go after him til you have his head on a platter; not turn around and start a war somewhere else where you have no business being.

Shall I continue?
                    Last edited by Kilinahe; August 11, 2004, 04:29 PM.

Comment

I will never vote for Kerry, nor anyone that I've ever seen on a democrat's ticket. The platform the Dems. stand on is on sandy soil, and when tested in rough times, it will fall just like a house built on the sand in a major earthquake.
                      Karen:

While I can respect this position, I wonder if you feel the same about President James Earl Carter, a Democrat? Now, there's no question that his Presidency was a failure, but based on ethics and morals, I'd say that the best Presidential candidate by your standard was Jimmy Carter.

I'm not saying this for the sake of arguing--I'm merely asking for an opinion on the man who, in my opinion, has stood taller than any former holder of the office.
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                        On its own - being mushmouthed, being faltering, stammering, but occasionally shooting off and still finding his foot in his mouth - shouldn't be the biggestreason to vote for or against someone. But it's not irrelevant.
                        You made some good points, so let's find a bottom line with this. We only have two choices, Bush or Kerry. One is more articulate than the other, but he stands on a more immoral platform, one that supports the wrongs in everyone, ie: abortion, gay rights, handouts to the point of weakening people, and is the party litigation lawyers support more. The one that is less articulate stands on the platform that is more honorable and conservative.

As I said, I would vote for a deaf/mute if that person was respectable and appreciated the same principles I do, so with only these two choices, I must choose the one that is less articulate, but believes in what I do. For me, it's a no-brainer, give me the honorable above the articulate.

Comment

While I can respect this position, I wonder if you feel the same about President James Earl Carter, a Democrat? Now, there's no question that his Presidency was a failure, but based on ethics and morals, I'd say that the best Presidential candidate by your standard was Jimmy Carter. I'm not saying this for the sake of arguing--I'm merely asking for an opinion on the man who, in my opinion, has stood taller than any former holder of the office.
                          I am glad you asked. Yes, I feel the same about Carter, as I said, it is the PARTY PLATFORM that is not built on firm soil. This party supports so many immoral things, it's the party of supporing the wrong in others, so they won't complain about your own, type of thing.

If Carter was secretly, in his heart of hearts, as honorable as you believe, WHY does he identify with the party that is not as honorable, per official policy? Doesn't compute.

Comment

not turn around and start a war somewhere else where you have no business being. Shall I continue?
                            Yes, you should continue, please do! We can debate whether we should be in Iraq. We can debate just how insane a madman Saddam is, and just how many of his own people he had put in mass graves, then we can debate reliable rumors that WMDs and components intended to use to manufacture same were moved into a neighboring country inbetween visits by inspectors, etc.

I am damn glad we went into Iraq, as are the majority of their people. The insurgents there are again, people that look like Iraqi's when they dress like them, but they are not, they crossed into that country to try to drive the US out. Saddam's two looney, EVIL whacked out sons are dead, and hopefully he will get the death sentence, too.

Remember the prize fighter that is a native Iraqi, that is here on Oahu, and was on KGMB more than once? He has many relatives in Iraq, went to school with saddam, and says he is VERY glad and thankful we did what we did, that so are most of his people, and that when it stabilizes over there, he looks forward to leaving Hawaii and returning home.

You say we had no business being there, I and many believe we had a lot of business being there, and GOOD, much good has been done, by our efforts. I know troops there now that are invited into Iraqi homes, fed Pita bread meals, and given watches, movies and other gifts, and hugs, as thanks for BEING there.

Bush did a good thing, and we are safer having Bush as prez, not Kerry.

I'm southern and I beg to differ that he's not a redneck.
                            Make your case, then, and we can debate this, Southerner to Southerner. Why is Bush a redneck, in your opinion?

Comment

We only have two choices, Bush or Kerry. One is more articulate than the other, but he stands on a more immoral platform, one that supports the wrongs in everyone, ie: abortion, gay rights, handouts to the point of weakening people, and is the party litigation lawyers support more.
                              While I'm glad there's no debate on the fact that "one is more articulate than the other" (which, really, was what this thread initially focused on), you can see that there's lots of room for disagreement on whether one "stands on a more immoral platform" or "supports the wrongs in everyone." Your candidate may support your moral views, but those views are not absolute. Your candidate's party may best fit your definition of "honorable," but again, the definition (or rather the interpretation) is pretty subjective.

Taking your points specifically... because I believe in and support a woman's right to choose (and yes, that includes the right to choose to not believe in abortion), gay rights (though ideally I'd like the government out of the marriage business altogether), social services (given abuse or corruption on both sides, I'd rather "giveaways" go to help a brother/sister in need than to a corporate behemoth), and do not support the party favored by big business and evangelical religious groups, it is Bush's opponent who I find a more compelling moral choice and a more honorable person.

Yes, let's both vote our conscience for what we believe is right. But be careful in asserting what defines "right."

I do find it interesting that you're stressing Bush's party ties as much as his qualities as a person. It makes me realize again that I'm just as bothered by what he (and his party) stand for as I am by who he is as a person. In fact, I'm not particularly impressed with who John Kerry is as a person, either. But it's what he represents, and because of the more commonalities than differences I find with the people and groups who support him, that earns him my vote.

Comment

Working...
                              X