The Chile Mine Rescue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Chile Mine Rescue

The Chile mine rescue is proceeding successfully. It is wonderful to see the men reunited with their families. It was wonderful to see the first miner out, hugged by his little boy. Sorry for overusing "wonderful", guess I am at a loss for words.

Re: The Chile Mine Rescue

33 miners have begun to be rescued on 10/13/10 .
    latinos tend to place great importance on numbers and how they relate to events. the chilean president referenced this in his small announcement after the first miner exited the capsule.
    time to buy lotto tickets.
    you can bet that all across latin america those numbers are being played heavily.
    the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by escondido100 View Post
      33 miners have begun to be rescued on 10/13/10.
      I believe they began bringing them out on the 12th, actually.

More than half have been brought up at this point; let us hope the rescue continues to go smoothly until all are back at the surface.

Comment

they may have "begun" final preparations earlier but the first miner exited the mine on the 13th.

the english cable stations are not covering the story as well as the spanish stations...many more personal details are told. with so many families involved there tend to be a lot of backstory.
        fox news discontinued live coverage around 9pmHST cnn didnt have a translator until they switched to CNN imternational.

Comment

[...]
          the english cable stations are not covering the story as well as the spanish stations...many more personal details are told. with so many families involved there tend to be a lot of backstory.[...]
          I wonder if the miner involved in the embarrassing back story has volunteered (or begged) to be the last miner rescued! Ai yi yi yi yi!

I watched the rescue on CNN last night and got all misty eyed, especially when the kids ran to their dads. Now I need another kleenex!

Comment

they may have "begun" final preparations earlier but the first miner exited the mine on the 13th.
            Sorry about my mistake; you are absolutely correct - he came out just after midnight local (Chilean DST) time on Wednesday, 12:04 a.m.

Comment

the last miner rescued (before the 6 rescuers were removed) was the crew foreman. he is the one that insisted on rationing 2 days of food (powdered milk and tuna) to last 17 days. when the miners above ground sent an exploratory drill down he is the one that posted the note that said " 33 miners alive" on the bit before they pulled it out. this is how they discovered that they were alive and well. he also was the one that sensing earth movements called for an early break that put the entire crew in the refuge room where they avoided the collapse. He is now a national hero. as well as the rest of his crew for perservering for so very long.
              the company from philadelphia that designed the custom 27" hammer drill bit has stated that while it would be great to be paid for his efforts they would be okay if payment never came.

copper is chile's #1 export. they have closed and sealed this mine permanently. (shown on univision) it was claimed this mine was overworked and there was no second entrance/exit. the escape/ventilation shaft had a ladder only half way up(uncomplete).
              the rescue shaft snaked at various angles to avoid other tunnels. the rescue was an amazing feat of engineering.
              Last edited by escondido100; October 13, 2010, 06:36 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

Just today I talked with a woman who was born in Chile and came to the US several years ago. She actually got into tears of joy, and I do understand--again, that pic of the little boy hugging his daddy got me. Isn't our human race beautiful? Sometimes, anyway.

Comment

Working...
                X