Alternative to box spring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to box spring?

I need something hard and sturdy under my mattress. I don't need the height of a traditional box spring and think it's a waste of $350 for one.

I'm trying to think of an alternative solution to a box spring? Any ideas?

Re: Alternative to box spring?

Have you checked any of these web pages? If you're handy possibly some of the suggestions or ideas can be found with DIY instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by amagab View Post
      I need something hard and sturdy under my mattress.
      ama, permit me to qualify myself with the following. I had 10 years experience in the mattress industry, several years ago, so the following are my observations to your question.

I do not recommend something other than a box spring under your mattress. A box spring provides support and promotes even wear for the mattress thus lengthening its useful life. The box springs acts as a shocker absorber for the mattress.

Sometimes it is possible to purchase a mattress with a hard box underneath (looks like a box spring but is nothing more than a hard box). These are "low end" mattress sets that have a warranty and useful life of around 5 years. However, it is possible to purchase a VERY firm box spring for the mattress and you will feel like you are sleeping on the floor! but yes, you do have the additional cost factor.

Now having said that, let me answer your question. Purchase a piece (or pieces depending on your mattress size) of 3/4 inch plywood. Cut the plywood to the size of your bed frame. Plop your mattress on top of the plywood, and you are good to go.

Sweet dreams!
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
        Now having said that, let me answer your question. Purchase a piece (or pieces depending on your mattress size) of 3/4 inch plywood. Cut the plywood to the size of your bed frame. Plop your mattress on top of the plywood, and you are good to go.

Sweet dreams!
        I agree with this! I've never slept better than on my boats because they were 4" foam on 3/4" plywood bunks. I admit more contibuting factors like peacefulness, sound of water lapping along the hull, etc.

But I think it was the best for my back too!
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
        X