View Full Version : Window Screens?

November 2nd, 2010, 09:32 AM
Ever since our townhouse complex was painted earlier this year, we've either misplaced or simply given up on the worn, bent, and torn screens covering our jalousie windows. This wasn't a problem over the summer, but now that wet weather is filling the air with mist and bugs, we kind of want to close things up again.

We previously took some of the broken screens down to City Mill and had them replace or reseat them, but some of them were so rusted they barely held together, and many of the ones they fixed ended up popping out soon after reinstalling them. I think basically the metal frames are too worn to use much longer.

And part of the challenge is that most of our screens aren't held on with the simple screw tabs/hooks on the outside of the frames, but rather with weird springs on the inside that -- in concept -- pull and hold the screens against the window itself. Those springs are hopeless, though. I'm thinking we might want to do whatever it takes to have "normal" screen frame brackets going forward.

Any recommendations for a handy-man or company that can help take care of this?

November 2nd, 2010, 09:44 AM
Home Depot...
City Mill...
They probably contract with an outside vendor who will come out, measure, make and install the screens. Not sure CM offers the same service, tho'.

November 3rd, 2010, 01:31 AM
Hey PZ those old screen springs were used on those old single wall redwood homes built in the 50's and 60's. You need a special tool that looks like an Awl that was bent in a hook to catch the rounded part of those springs that ended up wrapping around a twisted nail. BTW both can be found at Home Depot or any hardware store.