50 days adrift at sea!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 days adrift at sea!

Three teenage boys set adrift for 50 days in a small boat in the South Pacific survived on coconuts, a seagull they managed to catch and by drinking rain and then sea water, rescuers said on Friday.

"They are in incredibly good shape for the time they have been at sea. Somehow they caught a bird, I don't know how, but they caught it. They ate it, that is what is recommended (in survival manuals)," Fredricsen told New Zealand media.

The boys, from the New Zealand territory of Tokelau, disappeared from its Atafu atoll on October 6.

After an extensive air and sea search failed to find the teenagers, their families became convinced they had died at sea, and two weeks ago held a memorial service for them on the tiny coral atoll, a Maritime New Zealand spokesman said on Friday.

Etueni Nasau, 14, Samu Pelesa, 15, and Filo Filo, 15, drifted 1,300 km (800 miles) across an empty, and little traveled, section of the Pacific Ocean.

The Tokelau Islands consist of three small atolls in the Pacific Ocean, about midway between New Zealand and Hawaii.

There's more to the story in the link below. Just so glad they were found alive.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101126/...ific_survivors
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Re: 50 days adrift at sea!

wow, that is amazing!
    flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Comment

Thanx, no really, I've had enuf...

I'll bet they never eat seagull again!
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: Thanx, no really, I've had enuf...

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
        I'll bet they never eat seagull again!
        Or never forget to make sure that their misinifakapipiki (outboard engine) is in good working condition! When these kids went missing, I had no doubt they would survive. They are polynesian seafarers by breeding no less!

!Maali'e Etueni (Duane), Samu (Sam), e Filo!
        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Re: 50 days adrift at sea!

A friend who was in the TTPI back in the '70's related a somewhat similar story. Two fellows were lost at sea aboard a small boat. Only one was found. He seemed to be satisfactorily fed.

Comment

Working...
          X