Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amelia Earhart found?

Or, maybe it's just turtle parts...

I've always hoped she was the woman that lived long and passed away in America a few years ago, but... http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101217/...rch_for_amelia

For my first school reading assignment I chose her and have been intrigued since.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Amelia Earhart found?

More... http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101218/...rch_for_amelia

Comment

I found this article interesting...if the bones from 1940 had been saved, we might have had an answer already.

Comment

Since a full skeleton was once found, that of a woman just like AE, I think we've finally got her. I'm glad it happened in my lifetime, but why wasn't this info widely known all these years?

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
          Since a full skeleton was once found, ..........but why wasn't this info widely known all these years?
          Because the physician in Fiji who intially analyzed the bones identified them as a stocky male of polynesian ancestry.

My question is, why didn't they survive? A "drought" in that area is when it doesn't rain for two weeks, so fresh water was plentiful. The lagoon was full of fish. I understand there are coconuts on the island. And lean to's could have been fashioned so exposure shouldn't be a problem. The island did have occassional visitors.

I think it probably was AE and Noonan but the mysteries still abound.
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Besides the bodily remains, there was all the other evidence, but yeah, the mistake and subsequent decades probably obfuscated the possibilities.

If it's her, there's more to learn, for sure.

Comment

"The lab is looking for mitochondrial DNA, which is passed along only through females, so there is no need to have a Noonan sample."

Say what? Men have mitochondrial DNA, too! A Noonan sample would be no less valuable. If the bone is from one of them, the chance is 50% it's his. Chalk it up to reporter ignorance - I sure don't want to believe the 'scientists' told him that.
              Last edited by salmoned; December 30, 2010, 08:55 PM.
              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                "The lab is looking for mitochondrial DNA, which is passed along only through females, so there is no need to have a Noonan sample."

Say what? Men have mitochondrial DNA, too! A Noonan sample would be no less valuable. If the bone is from one of them, the chance is 50% it's his. Chalk it up to reporter ignorance - I sure don't want to believe the 'scientists' told him that.
                Paternal sperm mitochondria (located in the tail of the sperm) is destroyed by the embryo. Only the mtDNA from the female parent survives to be traced from generation to generation.

The reporter's comment isn't as much ignorant as merely over-simplified (which journalists often do when reporting on scientific issues).

Comment

Huh? It's darn ignorant. A man has mitochondrial DNA, just as a woman does. Noonan's sample would need to be traced through his maternal line, sure, but that doesn't decrease it's value in this case - which is exactly equal to Earhart's in determining whether these bones were from one or the other.

Who's talkin' 'bout parents here? That topic is completely irrelevant, unless you're suggesting these bones may have been those of Earhart's and Noonan's child.
                  Last edited by salmoned; January 6, 2011, 03:42 PM.

Comment

You are confusing different types of DNA, salmoned. Note the highlighted phrase below. I am excerpting from a discussion held some time ago with someone who holds a Ph.D. in Molecular Biology:

All women and men get mitochondrial DNA from their mother. However, most of our DNA is autosomal, which we get from both parents. Autosomal DNA is the only DNA that can prove paternity of a female.

There are 3 types of DNA:

Y - passed from father to son only.

Mitochondrial - passed from mother to both sons and daughters but only the daughters pass it on to their children.

Autosomal - you get 50-50 from both parents but not necessarily 25% from each of your 4 grandparents. It is what most of your DNA is. 44 of your 46 chromosomes are made up of autosomal DNA. It is the DNA that determines your appearance.

Genealogy uses Y & Mitochondrial as they both go back in a straight line unchanged, unless some place down the line there was a mutation. They represent a very small part of your ancestry. In each generation you get your Mitochondrial from only one person and in each generation (if you were a male) in addition you would get your Y DNA from only one person.

Autosomal is more complicated. You inherit your autosomal DNA 50-50 from each parent. Your mother's egg contributes one set of 22 autosomes and one sex chromosome (an X). Your father's sperm contributes the other set of 22 autosomes, and another sex chromosome (either an X or a Y).

Where the 50-50 part breaks down is when you pass on your DNA to your children. Each of your children will get half their DNA from you, but they won't necessarily get an equal mix of what you inherited from your parents. They could inherit more from your mother, through you, and less from your father, or vice versa.

Another way to look at it: you inherited 50% of your autosomal DNA from each parent, but you didn't necessarily inherit exactly 25% from each grandparent. Your maternal grandparents contributed exactly 50% in total, but it could be biased in favor of either your maternal grandmother or your maternal grandfather. Same goes for your paternal grandparents.

Comment

I'm not confusing anything. They're testing mitochondrial DNA and they should have samples from maternally related kin of both Noonan and Earhart because they haven't determined whose bones they have. What part of that do you not understand?

A man's mtDNA is no different from a woman's and can confirm/refute maternal descent with equal validity. Mentioning Y chromosome and autosomal DNA is irrelevant in this case - why confuse the issue with irrelevancies?

I seriously doubt anything of interest will result from this testing, but there is no rational reason why they should obtain a sample from Earhart's maternal line and not Noonan's. In fact, I have discovered they are trying to get a sample from Noonan's maternal line, see http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/currentwork.html, so who's confused now?
                      Last edited by salmoned; January 6, 2011, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Mitochondrial organelles are passed only from mother to offspring. Each mitochondrion contains Mitochondrial DNA. Matrilinear Mitochondrial DNA is the only one which remains virtually unchanged.

Ignorance of the above does not cause it to cease being scientific fact, no matter how much you may wish it to be so.

Comment

All human mitochondrial DNA is matrilineal, that is to say, all men and women have maternal mitochondrial DNA. That doesn't compromise the value of obtaining a sample from Noonan's lineage in this case, which has been the only point I've been insisting upon throughout this thread.

You appear to be insisting that Noonan's mitochondrial DNA is of no value, when in actuality, it is as likely to be found in those discovered bones as Earhart's.

The portion of your statement I have here underlined, "Matrilinear[sic] Mitochondrial DNA is the only one which remains virtually unchanged", is meaningless since all human mitochondrial DNA is matrilineal. One of us, as well as that reporter, is ignorant or confused... and it isn't I.
                          Last edited by salmoned; January 8, 2011, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                            One of us, as well as that reporter, is ignorant or confused... and it isn't I.
                            Apparently, your grasp of grammar is as strong as your grasp of biological science.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X