What do you call your in-laws?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you call your in-laws?

What do you call your GF/BF/spouse's parents?

I know a guy who recently married a female coworker's daughter. Being coworkers, they're on a first name basis, but now that she's his mother-in-law, she wants him to call her either "mom" or "Mrs. (so and so)", even at work.

He thinks this is weird since, according to him, everyone calls their in-laws by their first names anyway. I told him it's yet another odd cultural quirk of Hawaii that nobody here does that. Here, people usually say Mom/Dad and sometimes Mr./Mrs. He thinks that's totally bizzare.

So I'm wondering... what do you do?
    Mr./Mrs. .........
    18.18%
    Mom/Dad
    36.36%
    First name
    27.27%
    Other (please specify)
    18.18%

Re: What do you call your in-laws?

Considering I wasn't raised in Hawaii...

I called my in-laws by their first names. I never considered calling them mom and dad as my parents were still alive and I wouldn't have disrespected my parents that way. If my parents had not been alive then I might've considered calling in-laws mom and dad...but probably not.

When my ex remarried, his new wife insisted that my kids call her mom. They couldn't bring themselves to do it and it caused much discord.

I wasn't aware of the cultural issues regarding this subject 'til now. Interesting.

Comment

Ma, Pa, Mom or Dad.
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Although both of my in-laws have passed away now, I always called them Mom & Dad. My husband also called my father Dad and still calls my mother Mom. We never even considered any other names.

Comment

Since the AFK & I aren't married, I call her folks "the out-laws."

But to their faces, I use their first names. The AFK sometimes calls my mother by her first name, but sometimes "Mrs. Mom" (just for the amusement factor - I have a very weird and non-conformist family).

Comment

I do think it's interesting that in the HI, people call their in-laws by a title rather than their given names. Guess it is a cultural thing out of respect. I called my in-laws "Mr. B---" and "Miz B----". Kinda a Southern-thing but that's what most other people called them anyway. When my dad re-married, I had to call her "Mom" which couldn't do and it caused eons of problems. Heck, she was only 7 years older than I. I call her "Ma" now...makes her happy, my dad's elated, I'm off the hook finally...BUT I kinda run and slur "Ma" and her name together so it kinda sounds like "Manini." *L*

Comment

I do think it's interesting that in HI, people call their in-laws by a title rather than their given names. Guess it is a cultural thing out of respect. I called my in-laws "Mr. B---" and "Miz B----". Kinda a Southern-thing but that's what most other people called them anyway. When my dad re-married, I had to call her "Mom" which couldn't do and it caused eons of problems. Heck, she was only 7 years older than I. I call her "Ma" now...makes her happy, my dad's elated, I'm off the hook finally...BUT I kinda run and slur "Ma" and her name together so it kinda sounds like "Manini." *L*
              Last edited by btwnc2c; January 13, 2011, 02:39 PM. Reason: double post

Comment

Picked Other because I have no in-laws.

Comment

Hey howzit!

Comment

I call them (or did until he died) Mom & Dad. My parents thought it was great that I had another set of supportive people who loved me and took me in as their own.

What bugs me (and of course it's a cultural thing) is when complete strangers refer to me as "Aunty" I always feel like Richard Gere "I am an only child therefore have no nieces or nephews" in "Pretty Woman."

Comment

Working...
                    X