X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows XP SP2 Being Released soon

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1632921,00.asp
    http://www.wired.com/news/infostruct...w=wn_tophead_6
    Last edited by Aaron S; August 7, 2004, 11:56 PM.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: Windows XP SP2 Being Released Soon

I've been running SP2's various beta releases since early summer, as I was fortunate to get in on the testing program for their Tablet PC development team. Just the improvements alone on the tablet/ink side make the SP2 release a must-have for Tablet PC users, but the tweaks included are all over the spectrum.

It's not a small upgrade, of course, and I'm sure tech support and in-house PC support departments the world over are biting their nails over whether it'll break something unexpectedly.

Comment

Re: windows XP SP2 Being Released soon

I am running XP Home and I am just chomping at the bit to install SP2 on my computer. I like to run my computer with all the latest security updates/service packs from Microsoft.
      The Kona Blog

Comment

Windows XP SP2 download page

http://tinyurl.com/5bobl
        The Kona Blog

Comment

I d/led SP2. It was not a pain at all. Everything appears to
          be ship shape thus far. The really impressive thing I like
          is the much better integrated firewall . Since I don't use
          IE that much, the pop-up blocker I won't be using that much.
          It appears the my software still is working also.

I also burned it to CD-R for future usage.
          The Kona Blog

Comment

Woah.

Kinda slow eh this forums?

I installed it yesterday morning. (screenshot from today; just to show proof that I suffered through the download and install like everyone else).

Last edited by admin; August 9, 2004, 07:44 PM. Reason: Resized image.
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Some might say slow, others might say cautious. Having participated in my share of Windows beta tests, I know firsthand that you don't always want to be the first on the block to install a system patch. Some of those helpful "Windows Update" tweaks have actually mucked up perfectly functional systems. Setting your system to automatically download andinstall stuff that Microsoft puts out? That's definitely asking for trouble. At least have it prompt you... so you can search the tech sites to find what bugs each update kills and possibly creates anew.

I figure most folks are just going to wait for Microsoft's metered/throttled system to deliver SP2 to their desktops while they sleep over the next week or so, then cross their fingers when they click the "Install Now" button in the morning.

Comment

And not everyone is running Windows XP. Dare I ask but is this SP2 for XP Professional or XP Home or both?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                  Some might say slow, others might say cautious. Having participated in my share of Windows beta tests, I know firsthand that you don't always want to be the first on the block to install a system patch. Some of those helpful "Windows Update" tweaks have actually mucked up perfectly functional systems. Setting your system to automatically download andinstall stuff that Microsoft puts out? That's definitely asking for trouble. At least have it prompt you... so you can search the tech sites to find what bugs each update kills and possibly creates anew.
                  That is why I partitioned my Hard Drives and am ready to reformat in a moment's notice

Originally posted by helen
                  And not everyone is running Windows XP. Dare I ask but is this SP2 for XP Professional or XP Home or both?
                  I'm sure that its for both (home and pro).
                  How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
                    Woah.

I installed it yesterday morning. (screenshot from today; just to show proof that I suffered through the download and install like everyone else).
                    Before today unless you were a MSDN subscriber you could download XP SP2
                    as far as I know.[Unless you downloaded it off a P2P client which I would not recommend]
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                      Some might say slow, others might say cautious. Having participated in my share of Windows beta tests, I know firsthand that you don't always want to be the first on the block to install a system patch.
                      you can expect MS to put out a lot of critical updates once sp2 gets into wide release. certainly, there will be many security flaws exposed with the new components.
                      Fair and Balanced

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
                        That is why I partitioned my Hard Drives and am ready to reformat in a moment's notice
                        reformat? why not do a system restore instead. is installing sp2 not reversible? i haven't read up on it and don't know...
                        Last edited by easTTriver; August 10, 2004, 12:08 PM.
                        Fair and Balanced

Comment

IBM is telling its people to be cautious and not install XP SP2 just yet due to potential conflicts with business applications. My friends in state government are telling me that they are getting the same warning from their IS people.

Comment

Was dealing with some new PCs that were shipped with Windows XP Professional, when attempting to run the Windows Update from Microsoft SP2 was not listed in the Critical Updates Section. There was a hint in the Update Site to do it but I did not follow the links to do it.

I thought it was pretty strange that SP2 was not listed in the Critical Updates section.

Comment

Originally posted by easTTriver
                              reformat? why not do a system restore instead. is installing sp2 not reversible? i haven't read up on it and don't know...
                              I believe it is reversible as there is add remove entry for SP2.
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X