Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Betelgeuse new candidate for a supernova?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betelgeuse new candidate for a supernova?

According to a last Sunday Star-Advertiser article, the star Betelgeuse (the upper right {our left} shoulder of Orion) is a candidate for the next galactic super-nova.

The last visible supernova was in 1054 AD, and resulted in the Crab Nebula as its remnant.

It is likely to be the brightest object in our sky, second to the sun. Brighter than the full moon, it should be visible day and night, for perhaps as long as a week.

Naturally, some astronomers downplay the prediction, saying that it may go nova in the next five minutes or the next million years. Don't hold your breath!

Some astronomers predict it will go nova in 2011 or 2012.

I wonder what star went nova in the year '0' AD?

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain."
    Rutger Hauer, Blade Runner, 1982

Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Re: Betelegeuse new candidate for a supernova?

The BIG deal here is that the distance to the Crab Nebula is about 6500 light years.

Distance to Betelguese......about 600 (but could be closer).
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Re: Betelgeuse new candidate for a supernova?

Assuming we get to see the effects of the supernova this year or next year sort of means that Betelgeuse has already gone supernova.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
        Assuming we get to see the effects of the supernova this year or next year sort of means that Betelgeuse has already gone supernova.
        Sorry Betelgeuseans (if there are any, as unlikely as it may be), I hope your super-sun has gone supernova in time for me to see it on Earth. I know, it is ultimately selfish, I have seen one total solar eclipse, two partials, and two lunars, plus an AWESOME meteor shower, but no really good comets (and none expected), so a supernova would be a good swan song for me. Not that I matter in the scheme of things.

From 1054 to 2011 is about 957 years, more than 1000 lifetimes, I guess I'm being greedy, but I'll take what I can get.

BRING IT ON!!!!!!!
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

for me, I think it would be amazing to witness. Not many have(in this lifetime). Some say, it's a supernova that the three wise men followed.
          flickr

An email from God:
          To: People of Earth
          Date: 9/04/2007
          Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
          God

Comment

Working...
          X