I fear the worst for my friend at Keehi Marina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I fear the worst for my friend at Keehi Marina

My friend Boris Polman has his Willard 30 Cutter at Keehi Marina. He sailed the boat up from Tonga a few months ago and was resting in Honolulu and refitting prior to his departure for San Francisco before the start of hurricane season. I am certain this is a Coast Guard picture of his boat at Keehi (click on the higher resolution). It is the white hulled sailboat in the lower center with the burgandy shear stripe and solar panels on the stern, second saailboat to the right of powerboat KYOKO. The boat is still floating but all does not look well. I have been frantically trying to reach him with no success. I hope he and his wife are okay.

Blessed Be.
    Last edited by matapule; March 12, 2011, 05:28 PM.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Re: I fear the worst for my friend at Keehi Marina

I no more than posted the above when I received this email from Boris. I am relieved he and his wife are okay,

I got whacked hard by something big.i am actualy surveying the damage to the hull and rig and determining if /what to do.i stabiized the rig,it was close to toppling over.fortunately,i was not on the boat-i literally headed for the hills and since i was in the middle of motor work,she was unable to depart under her own power.all three of the marinas in keehi lagoon are gone/wiped out.my wife and i are determining our futre plans as we speak.
    i am happy nobody in the marinas got hurt.
    boris

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
      I no more than posted the above when I received this email from Boris. I am relieved he and his wife are okay,
      Thank goodness for small blessings. I'm glad the people you care for are safe, if not a little rattled.
      "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
      "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
      "
      Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

What a stressful night it must've been for your friends. Are/were they living on the boat?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          What a stressful night it must've been for your friends. Are/were they living on the boat?
          Yes and yes. As far as I know, they have no other home but their boat.

Comment

I'm glad that your friends turned up okay. Other people that I know are still searching for their boats!
            I think in some our past conversations I told you about how bad all the docks are in Keehi Lagoon. The state removed several entire docks in the past few months because they were so unsafe, so the situation in the last couple of days could have been much worse.
            Also, many of the boats in Keehi were on moorings, not docks. Most of the moorings were secured by 1,000 lb. blocks on the floor of the lagoon, and those 1,000 lb. blocks were torn loose by the surges.
            Many (perhaps most) of the boats in Keehi were junkers, therefore unable to go out to sea when the tsunami warning came in. Also, most of those junkers were not insured. The good news is that once the docks are rebuilt, desperately needed space will be available for real boats. But it will probably be years before the docks are rebuilt.
            In the meantime, the boats that did survive but lost their docks now have to find other spaces to tie up, and there were already multi-year waiting lists at all harbors in Hawaii.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

It looks like a lot of buildings stood up well against the earthquake itself, but hardly anything was able to stand against the tsunami.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                It looks like a lot of buildings stood up well against the earthquake itself, but hardly anything was able to stand against the tsunami.
                Hawaii's earthquake was on the BI and not strong enough to do much damage, if any. It appears to me that all reported damage in Hawaii was tsunami related and that the Keehi small boat harbor was the hardest hit area on Oahu (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Still we were so lucky even tho' those who were directly affected have the right to feel different.

Comment

I have received a further update from Boris and April. Their boat suffered no structural damage but quite a bit of cosmetic damage that lots of money can fix. They are both doing well and feel fortunate that they abandoned their boat and headed for higher ground. Had they stayed aboard, they would have tried to fend off other boats knocking into theirs and the chances of physical injury would have been likely. So all has turned out as well as can be expected.

Blessed Be

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                    They are both doing well and feel fortunate that they abandoned their boat and headed for higher ground. Had they stayed aboard, they would have tried to fend off other boats knocking into theirs and the chances of physical injury would have been likely.
                    Your friends are quite wise in that regard. When it comes down to it, the boat itself is a replaceable "thing" - but they took steps to protect their lives, a much higher priority.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      Hawaii's earthquake was on the BI and not strong enough to do much damage, if any. It appears to me that all reported damage in Hawaii was tsunami related and that the Keehi small boat harbor was the hardest hit area on Oahu (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Still we were so lucky even tho' those who were directly affected have the right to feel different.
                      I believe we all have the right to feel different, thank you very much Madam. [Sorry, my bad - devil made me do it, tho'.]
                      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Working...
                      X