Baby names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby names

Poking around the Star-Bulletin's web site, I ran across the Vital Statistics page, which lists marriage licenses and birth certificates issued in the state. There were 44 birth certificates issued in the past week! I was curious about the ethnic origins of these babies' names. By my count, of the 44 babies here, there are 22 Hawaiian names, 13 Japanese names, 9 Filipino names, 4 Samoan names, 2 Chinese names, and 1 Korean name.

(Many of these kids have more than one ethnicity in their name, so the numbers won't neatly add up. In counting names, I counted both surnames and given names. I didn't bother looking for haole names because lots of people have haole names; however, if you've got a Japanese name for example, chances are you've got some Japanese in your family somewhere. Hawaiian is more problematic as lots of non-Hawaiians like to give their kids Hawaiian names.)

What's my point? I dunno; I just liked looking at the names of all these babies, and imagining them all growing up together.

Bonnie Leka 'Aho
    Archie Edward Kekoa Abarca Aliganga
    Taylan Dae Sung An
    Teanekuma Iupeli Tyler Atuaia
    Rose Harriet Barris
    Hylen Ka`umana Ah Sing Cabanilla
    Landon Pakeupali Nakasone Calhoun
    Kahokunani Mae Canlas
    Jada Rene`e Alohanapua Carinio
    Michael Takano Colton
    Cianna Lucille Kaleonahenahe Comilang
    Koa Duke Cress
    Bryson Mua'autauaumaiafaifaigauamalo Danielson
    Logan Sophia Deuchar
    Ericka Kahealani Donre
    John Falcon Keoni III Mabanag Dylim
    Kira Leilani Endo
    Hannah Maiya Fasi
    West Robert Federizo
    Deijah Leina`ala Fujiyama
    Kaydenn Kawika Fukumoto
    Cody Yosuke Higaki
    Dane Micah Keahi
    Chase Masa Kunihisa
    Kylie Hosaka Lauderdale
    Tiave Maina Lepisi
    Kuualoha Misao Lloyd
    Melissa-Ann Mari Kaleialoha Malina
    Maya Victoria Mann
    Alan Zhuo Heng Mo
    Destiny Leialoha Modesto
    Zachary Sanosuke Osada
    Milo J. Pontius Pennington
    Makaio Kealoha Ramos
    Jayjay Rj Rayner
    Ezra Tyee David Hinchliffe Robertson
    Wyatt Ke Kama O Ke Kahuna Kalai Ryun
    Eve Birdie Saltzman
    Kyler Ryen Dait Saoit
    Aiko Shimmura
    Ocean Kapakonaneakamahinaikapoliokealoha Shook
    Noah Lorenzo-marciel Tabion
    Taysia-Lynn Paiau Leaniva Tagovailoa
    Hikaru Tiara Mele Takahashi

Re: Baby names

God, I love Hawaii. A Rose Harriet Barris and Ocean Kapakonaneakamahinaikapoliokealoha Shook in one city in one week, and that's just for starters!

And funny you should post this now... my wife and I plan to add a name to the new baby rolls one week from today. We're still debating the first name of our soon-to-be third child (and second son)... but there'll definitely be a Japanese and Hawaiian middle name in there.

True, Hawaiian names are pretty popular even among non-Hawaiians, but our kids have a smidgen of koko ma`oli from my mother's side: my grandmother was half Hawaiian. Not that I think there's neccessarily anything wrong with gifting your child with a piece of the islands no matter what your background (though I know some folks will disagree). Hawaii's impossible to get out of your system, so why not really make it a part of you?

Just don't name your kid Haupia. Yes, there is a kid out there with that name... my wife met her a few months ago.

Comment

Let's see, that would make your kids... one-sixteenth Hawaiian? Hey, that's plenty enough to enroll 'em at Kamehameha.

And good luck on the new baby, Ryan and Jen! Keep us all informed - and post pictures!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        Not that I think there's neccessarily anything wrong with gifting your child with a piece of the islands no matter what your background (though I know some folks will disagree). Hawaii's impossible to get out of your system, so why not really make it a part of you?
        You know Ryan, it's cute when I come across military children who were born in Hawaii. They actually call themselves Hawaiian, much like a person from Washington would call themselves a Washingtonian. At first this confused my kids because they knew for a fact the children weren't Hawaiian (the race). I had to explain it to them and even after explaining it to them, they still insisted their friends weren't "real" Hawaiians. ~L~ .. Both sides were correct.
        Send POI

Comment

My kids are Chinese/Japanese and I regret not giving at least the girls Japanese middle names. One has an English middle name and the other has a Chinese middle name. Both of my boys have Chinese middle names. For us choosing a middle name was important...the meaning especially...my mother-in-law had someone choose the name by the day and time of each child's birth. I'm sure other ethinicity's have the same procedure...good meaning, good luck.
          Retired Senior Member

Comment

I pity some of those babies! Some names are too long, my ass, poor hands when learning how to spell and write!

Comment

Hey, anybody notice there's a baby named Fasi in that list? Any relation, I wonder?

Comment

It's very true that some of the names for the kids are soooo long that you wonder if when it says "Please write your complete name" if they have a cheat sheet to remember!
                Retired Senior Member

Comment

Did you guys see the article on CNN about Names?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science...eut/index.html

anyone named Matt?

Comment

Originally posted by Mocha
                    It's very true that some of the names for the kids are soooo long that you wonder if when it says "Please write your complete name" if they have a cheat sheet to remember!

No matter how long the Hawaiian name will be, they'll always be nick named "KK" I have a female friend and a male nephew with that name because it's too hard to remember that novel that describes their middle name. I like the KISS method...Keep It Simple StuXXid for the sake of the kid. You can leave his family history in his baby book that you'll never fill past the first baby pictures.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilinahe
                      Hey, anybody notice there's a baby named Fasi in that list? Any relation, I wonder?
                      I saw that too. Frank and Joyce have great-grandkids, I'll bet.
                      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Regarding length of names, everytime I sign a credit card slip I wish mine were shorter. My last name is 10 letters long. I have a friend whose last name is only three letters long, but his first name was seven letters, and when he went to Navy Supply Officers School (a long long time ago) he was advised he'd be signing a zillion things a day, so he should shorten his signature. He did. First initial, middle initial, full last name. Five letters total.

Mine? 18 letters.
                        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Ocean K. Shook should be okay as far as signing stuff is concerned. Initialing stuff on the other hand would come out as OKS.

I am just feelimg sorry for those database admin types who down the road are going to encounter 30+ character length on just the middle name alone.

Comment

You know, I didn't think to look at initials. I wonder if the parents of Teanekuma Iupeli Tyler Atuaia chose those initials on purpose?

Comment

what does TITA mean?

Comment

Working...
                              X