Looking for: Dandelions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for: Dandelions

It's funny I have to ask for help to find a common "weed", but I don't remember seeing a classic Dandelion since I was a kid. Right now I have a few plants that kinda sorta look like Taraxacum officinale, but the flowers are itty bitty and I suspect they're some other variety.

Do any of you know a public place that has common Dandelion?
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Re: Looking for: Dandelions

I have never seen a dandelion plant in Hawaii. It's a weed and has probably been blocked through ag screening. and I do know what they look like as I grew up in the mid-west.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I just (yesterday) bought a few packages of dandelion seeds...want some? They're actually the kind you eat...a bit bushier but less bitter than the 'garden variety'.
      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Dandelion by macprohawaii, on Flickr

The one above was shot at my Mom's place on the Big Island. The field below is at Kalopa State Park on the Big Island.

Dandelions by macprohawaii, on Flickr
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
          I have never seen a dandelion plant in Hawaii. It's a weed and has probably been blocked through ag screening.
          I've seen them around Pearl City, O'ahu when I was a kid. I assume they hitched a ride to Hawaii long before ag screening was implemented. Everyone has probably nuked them with Round-Up, so I wonder if they're "extinct" on O'ahu.

Regarding Dandelions being a weed, Whole Foods sells Dandelion leaves as a salad green; they're turning into a cash crop!

Way back when, St. John's Wort was a weed plague on the mainland (toxic to livestock). They introduced Chrysolina beetles which did a great job controlling the "weed". Then modern business discovered the health benefits of St. John's Wort and now consider it a "crop" while the Chrysolina beetle has become their "pest". I find it all amusing.

Of course, the definition of a weed is a plant which grows where you don't want it. That makes every plant a weed, to somebody.

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
          I just (yesterday) bought a few packages of dandelion seeds...want some? They're actually the kind you eat...a bit bushier but less bitter than the 'garden variety'.
          I didn't know Dandelion seeds were edible; interesting. Thanks for the offer, but I wouldn't want to introduce any new varieties here. I'm sure I'll find a common Dandelion if I keep my eyes open.

Originally posted by mel View Post
          The one above was shot at my Mom's place on the Big Island. The field below is at Kalopa State Park on the Big Island.
          Nice pics, Mel. Alas, I don't expect to be on the Big Island any time soon. You links did give me the idea to search Flickr for Hawaii pics of Dandelions, which hopefully have a location tags.
          "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
          "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
          "
          Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

I meant I could send you the seeds and you could then grow your own.
            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

give the Horticulture Society at St. John's Hall at UH Manoa a call, they can help.
              Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Working...
              X