Deck the halls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deck the halls

Long's has put Christmas decorations on sale! In AUGUST.

Oh for the good old days when retailers waited until after Halloween at least.

And if any store starts playing Christmas carols before Thanksgiving, I shall boycott it until the New Year arrives.

Re: Deck the halls

Ai. That is preposterously early. Only a couple of years ago I was flabbergasted to see the Christmas section coming together at Macy's in September. But early August?

They can't be creating their whole Christmas aisle, of course, what with the need to have an entire section for Halloween candy. But if I bought a box of ornaments and lights today, I surely will have lost them by December... or perhaps that's the idea.

Comment

Some people shop early. They have all their Christmas presents planned, selected, and bought by Halloween or so.

I hate them.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
        Some people shop early. They have all their Christmas presents planned, selected, and bought by Halloween or so.
        What's the fun in that?

If you don't have the stress of finding that a gift, blowing money on gas for going from shopping mall to shoppin mall, kids begging you to buy things that are too expensive or doesn't give any educational value?

I thought christmas was supposed to be about stressing out on gifts, then relaxing on one day just to receive/exchange gifts... then clean up after the partying and prepare for new years.
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

It's better to shop early and avoid all of the hassles and expense at the peak holiday season. Plus if you shop early you can spread the expense of Christmas more evenly over time. I am planning early and will start buying things soon a little at the time.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro

I hate them.
            Hear! Hear!

My Mom buys from catalogs throughout the year; one of our closet shelves has mysterious plastic bags with unwrapped gifts inside (Sis, if you or my nieces read this, don't you dare look!). I, on the other hand, tend to be in full-blown panic mode on December 20th.
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Of course I understand people shopping early, year round or whatever works for them. I just have to admit that the beautiful Christmas colors are always such a relief after the UGLY black and orange of Halloween! I am always so glad to see the dark, ghoulish crap disappear and a couple of mos. of Christmas cheer be all around me, even if I am not yet buying any of it.
              Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

"one of our closet shelves has mysterious plastic bags with unwrapped gifts"

Ha. My mama used to do that and I always knew well beforehand what I was going to get from Santa.

Comment

Oh, none of those are for me. I'm the guy who puts them up there for her.

No, my surprises usually are just that: surprises. We pretty much get into the spirit and avoid prying or otherwise trying to guess. Presents don't even go under the tree till Christmas Eve.
                  http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Count me among the early shoppers grateful for the early Christmas stuff on sale. I'm still getting some shopping done on December 23, but for the most part, I have gifts already picked out for most of my upper-tier, year-round by the beginning of fall.

I have to. As Mel points out, spreading the expense out across the year is the only option some people have.
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Well certain things you can buy early. Other stuff you can't.

Comment

Working...
                      X