Barack Obama's Hawaii Ties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barack Obama's Hawaii Ties

Many of us commented on Barack Obama's speech at the Democratic National Convention, and marveled at the fact that he largely grew up here. Well, he was on NPR's Fresh Air today, and he talked a little bit about his ties to Hawaii.

"[My father] met my mother in Hawaii at the University of Hawaii where they were both studying. And this is in the early 70s and so at that time mixed marriages was illegal in much of the country but hawaii because of its cult div and the uniqe status it has as an island state it was more accommodating... My memories of Hawaii and Jakarta I think were significant in my ongoing development. Hawaii because it is such a cultural melting pot probably unique in the United States for having so many different competing cultures none of which are dominant or assertive, but it taught me I think the possibilities of different cultures living side by side."
    His memoir, Dreams from my Father, has been updated and will be republished this week.

Re: Barack Obama's Hawaii Ties

You forgot to mention that his opponent, nearly-certifiable loony Alan Keyes, followed him on the show. Good grief. Logic is not part of his modus operandi.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Re: Barack Obama's Hawaii Ties

Not sure if he graduated here but I know he did attend Punahou. When I first heard Alan Keyes voice I thought he sounded like a woman! It was a very interesting interview.
      Retired Senior Member

Comment

Working...
      X