Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan Shuts off Last Reactor

The only nation to have been attacked with atomic bombs has come to the end
    of their tolerance for risky kaibatsu installations.
    The power grid there will be under severe strain as Summer arrives and
    the air conditioners are turned on.
    The slack will have to be made up with oil shipments.

Re: Japan Shuts off Last Reactor

I saved the SD Union from the day President Kennedy was assassinated. As you would expect almost all the paper was about the assassination, but on the back page there was a tiny about 1 inch announcement that the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station had been licensed. A few years later about half a mile away a fault line was discovered. The plant has been shut down for about a month because leaks in steam pipes.

People continue to be concerned with Fukushima because as yet the expended but still very hot fuel rods in the cooling ponds have not been dealt with. Seems the design for some reason has them elevated about 100 ft. above the ground, if they should ever catch fire for any reason the fallout would be a serious problem.

Comment

The problem is that the spent fuel rods are on the roof of the reactor.

Comment

Originally posted by lensperson View Post
        The only nation to have been attacked with atomic bombs has come to the end of their tolerance for risky kaibatsu installations.
        Not quite. Japanese are currently negotiating for uranium supplies from Kazahkstan. Many, if not most, of those installations will be restarted and new installations will be built.
        Last edited by salmoned; May 24, 2012, 12:04 PM.
        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
          Not quite. Japanese are currently negotiating for uranium supplies from Kazahkstan. Many, if not most, of those installations will be restarted and new installations will be built.
          It's their graveyard.....

When has a 'modern' government ever learned from experience?

Or, maybe they are considering a 67 year-old retaliation?
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

One of the most curious aspects of the Pacific war was the fate of the USS Indianapolis.

Many fine Americans were chewed up by sharks as the navy screwed up

time after time.

The vessel had delivered the atomic devices later dumped on test victims.

at tinian.

Maybe it was considered expedient to delete the memoies of all those aboard.

Comment

As to 67 year old retaliation...I sincerely hope Mike Malloy, the lefty talk show host you can hear on KPTK if you are so inclined, is wrong about this, but he thinks there is a danger the spent fuel rods could overheat and catch fire and pump toxic amounts of radiation into prevailing winds which do cross the Pacific. Mike is great, an absolute leftist, but sometimes he goes just a bit over the top even for me and on this issue, I really hope he is wrong. To suspend the fuel rod cooling pond 100 ft. in the air in an earthquake zone seems beyond insane.

Comment

USA today ran a story that two reactors are going to be fired up again.

Comment

More and more stuff is washing up on beaches in the
                  Pacific northwest.

One may only wish that a big box of Nikons and Canons will float over here
                  sometime soon.

Comment

I'm keeping an eye out for one of those solid gold bathtubs or Hello Kitty items.
                    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

There have been very large demonstrations against the restart in Japan.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226141880350

Comment

I chose "The Australian" because it had a wide view of the crowd at one of the demonstrations. Picture worth 1,000 words. You can say its a big demonstration but unless you actually see 20,000 people + (maybe more?) its just words. Funny pictures of the massive demonstrations didn't make it in the ah press here. Did you notice when you google earth Japan you can follow progress of the cleanup after the tsunami, which really has been remarkable, but when you get to the aerial shots of Fukushima itself they are pre-disaster. For a few days after the disasters they had contemporary shots up but they ( whoever that might be ) had those taken down and replaced with pics of the site in pristine condition.

Comment

Working...
                        X