PDA

View Full Version : Julia Child, 91, Dies

pzarquon
August 13th, 2004, 06:39 AM
She Entertained as She Taught Cooking (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/13/dining/13CND-CHILD.html)
REGINA SCHRAMBLING, New York Times, August 13, 2004

Julia Child, who mastered the art of French cooking well enough to turn it into prime-time entertainment and who by introducing cassoulet to a casserole culture elevated both American food and television, died today at her home in Santa Barbara, Calif. She would have been 92 on Sunday.

As a cookbook author first and public television star second, Mrs. Child was a towering figure on the culinary front for more than 40 years. Most Americans knew her as the unflappable ``French Chef,'' a tall and twinkly character who in demonstrating classic dishes could make lobster bisque look as easy as toast. But she was also a rarity in a profession characterized by savage backbiting: she was respected as much by her most judgmental peers as by amateurs who would not know a soufflĄe from a cupcake. More Coverage... (http://news.google.com/news?newsclusterurl=http://www.startribune.com/stories/484/4926222.html)

Linkmeister
August 13th, 2004, 08:04 AM
It's not unexpected, but it's very sad news nonetheless. She was a charmer, and she set the standard for every subsequent television cooking show.

Kilinahe
August 13th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Au revoir, Jules.

kimo55
August 13th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Julia Child died today at her home in Santa Barbara, Calif.

She was such a great lady. very interesting and interested in everything.
well respected, well loved member of the community. I was up there all thru the 80's and she was one of my main clients when i had a limousine/chauffeur business. Took her to many TV shoots down in L.A., then often we would go to the female equivalent of the 'big and tall shop" for clothes....
(and her home actually was not in S.B....)

a hui hou, JC!

Albert
August 13th, 2004, 10:17 AM
She was the only "chef" whose television appearances I really enjoyed. Wonderful woman.

Mocha
August 13th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Loved the way she cleaned up on her show...just sweep the "stuffs" on the floor and it'll go away! And such stature...I think she stood around six feet! And her show was entertaining.

kimo55
August 13th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Loved the way she cleaned up on her show...just sweep the "stuffs" on the floor and it'll go away! And such stature...I think she stood around six feet!

when I knew her, we easily saw eye to eye on many things:
she stood 6 foot two.

Karen
August 13th, 2004, 04:12 PM
On local radio news, it was said about her that although she was an extraordinary chef, she knew how to appreciate a beer and burger. Yep, that pleasantly surprised me. Sounds like she was a likeable person off-screen, too.

kamlost
August 13th, 2004, 05:52 PM
She lived a long life.

adrian
August 14th, 2004, 08:42 AM
God bless here family.

She'll be missed.

kimo55
August 15th, 2004, 06:14 PM
just saw a special on her today on da telly. lotta old clips and photos.
Boy that was fast.

Karen
August 15th, 2004, 06:44 PM
just saw a special on her today on da telly. lotta old clips and photos.
Boy that was fast.

THat, what was fast?! The show? no commercials? Er...what?

kimo55
August 15th, 2004, 07:37 PM
THat, what was fast?! The show? no commercials? Er...what?

the fact that they could produce a mini documentary on her within just a few days of her passing.
This would entail the procurement of numerous archival photos, and many pics from the old days; wartime... reaching back... this takes alotta research.

Ua maopopo ia'oe?

So it's amazing they can whip that up in such short notice, unless there is a department in that station or a company somewhere in the world keeping tabs on the soon to be departed celebrity with material at the ready, if not nearly completed documentary material on the people still alive but considered to many to be... ahem; one foot in the grave, as it were .....

come to think of it that's a pretty good idea for a business...

pzarquon
August 15th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Actually, it's a regular practice in the media to "pre-produce" full obituary packages for celebrities, particularly those getting on in age. That way, when the famous person finally passes, they can have a whole tribute, a full, thorough presentation, just ready to go. Of course, it can backfire... CNN is among the most recent outlets that made waves when its pre-written obituaries (http://news.com.com/2100-1025-997367.html) were found available online... Ronald Reagan included (and this was before he actually died).

The story goes that one of the jobs of the writers at the low-end of the totem pole is to keep these bottled-up obits up to date... every few years, adding the last few notes or headlines that have come up relating to one person or another.

I have no doubt that newsmagazines have whole libraries set aside for certain folks, ready to cobble together into a documentary on a day's notice. Search the web for celebrity "dead pools" and you'll find a good list of folks' best bets as to who's on their last legs.

Karen
August 15th, 2004, 07:56 PM
Kimo,

Uuhhh, who says it was produced since her death? well, yeah, you appear to, but that doesn't make it so.

kimo55
August 15th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Kimo,

Uuhhh, who says it was produced since her death? well, yeah, you appear to, but that doesn't make it so.
uuuhhhh welllll, they use the past tense when referring to her within the production. Sooo, I thot... nachurleee...

('course on could rejoin: "eh, da buggas just looped some segments of the voiceover of a show already in the can!" to which i concede as a possibility.)

Karen
August 16th, 2004, 09:18 AM
uuuhhhh welllll, they use the past tense when referring to her within the production. Sooo, I thot... nachurleee...

('course on could rejoin: "eh, da buggas just looped some segments of the voiceover of a show already in the can!" to which i concede as a possibility.)"
Well yes sir! Tis true they coulda, and apparently did have the whole thing made and sittin, then edited in a "past tense" comment of her, or as another poster suggested, they had the whole thing made, past tense, to show upon her demise.

This sorta reminds me of our govt. (G) Congress is said to have entire bills all typed up real purty, just waiting for the right timing, to lay another one out there for consideration. It is rumored that well before 9-11, some congress critters had the ill-named "Patriot" Act ready and waiting, and soon as the horror happened, they pounced on us with it, knowing most of their peers would, out of sheer emotional reaction, vote the thing in. Look! it worked, if true.

(Sorry the subject changed here, but ya know, conversation has a way of evolving like that. My most polite apology.)

kimo55
August 18th, 2004, 06:43 PM
ahh her inimitable cooking style.
------------------
Grampa?

not for me, I'm stuffed!

ok then how bout with a little relish!?

Bring it on!

http://www.unknown.nu/julia/