Quoting and Crediting Sources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoting and Crediting Sources

Out of courtesy to copyright holders (and to members here with short attention spans!), please post only relevent excerpts from pieces published elsewhere. Of course, you should also include hyperlinks directly to the source article for other members to read and consider on their own if they care to do so.

Re: Thoughts on Michael Moore film?

Hi Admin,

I will be glad to do so, posting the link,and you suggested posting only parts of articles. I will try to remember, when on this forum, to just post the link. Am used to other forums that, as long as source is clearly given, no objection, and no, that isn't a slam against this place, just sharing.
    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Karen
      I will be glad to do so, posting the link,and you suggested posting only parts of articles. I will try to remember, when on this forum, to just post the link. Am used to other forums that, as long as source is clearly given, no objection, and no, that isn't a slam against this place, just sharing.
      No problem. I realize it's a fine line between too much and too little. Just posting the URL without providing any context or introduction is definitely not helpful, but cutting and pasting an entire article is sometimes overwhelming and - as I mentioned - playing a little more loosely with copyright than I'm comfortable with. Usually an excerpt of a paragraph or two and a link saying "read more" is just right.

Some forums might be more lax, but most of the message boards I'm familiar with have this same guideline. Crediting the source is important no matter what, but if any site started republishing everything the Star-Bulletin wrote about Evan Dobelle, or every entry a blogger posted on their independent site, there'd probably be some lawyerly letters in the mail eventually!

Of course, I haven't articulated this in a guideline anywhere, so we're all learning and developing our "way" together. Eventually you'll find something on this in the FAQ. For now, I'll move this tangent into our "Front Desk" area as an early guide.

Comment

Hi again!

I think your common sense, and wisdom has found a happy medium, and as you said, I also shouldn't post "just" a link, for that wouldn't give anyone enough info. to know if they even cared to click the link, etc.

You posted the opening salvo of the article I wanted to share, and it was claerly enough to interest anyone that may be interested in it.

Thanks again, and hope your weekend is a good 'un.

Comment

...Am used to other forums that, as long as source is clearly given, no objection, and no, that isn't a slam against this place, just sharing.
          I want to share this:
          Stop slamming this place, Karen!

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
            I want to share this: Stop slamming this place, Karen!
            LOL you are one funny guy. ahem..really, no kidding. (G)

Comment

LOL you are one funny guy. ahem..really, no kidding. (G)
              Stop calling me LOL!

Comment

Re: Quoting and Crediting Sources

When quoting articles or someone else's work, what is the general guideline on using the [QUOTE] tag?

Usually when I quote an article, I only put a PART of the article in my post and have the [QUOTE] tag begin and end the quoted part so that readers know that those are not my words.

I cite the source by providing a hotlink back so that people can read the entire article.

It has come to my attention that some users may want to place an excerpt of an article without using the proper quote tag format. Should they just leave the article excerpt bare without using the [QUOTE] function and format or should they always use the quote tag?
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Huh. Could you give an example of how this would look, mel? I can't picture it.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                    Huh. Could you give an example of how this would look, mel? I can't picture it.
                    OK.. here I am quoting your entire article.

-------------------------------------------

Here I am using your entire quote without the quote format:

Huh. Could you give an example of how this would look, mel? I can't picture it

I did not even put em in quotes.

-------------------------------------------

So to ask again, should I use the format above or just go with a quote excerpt with quotation marks or nothin' at all? Like this:

"Huh. Could you give an example of how this would look, mel? I can't picture it"

Which way is the most acceptable?
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

My preference would be, in order of decreasing acceptability:

1. Use the QUOTE tags. That way it's completely clear that you're quoting someone.

2. Block off the quoted text using italics or quotation marks, and separate it from your own words with carriage returns as well.

3. Use italics or quotation marks, but embed the quoted text into your own paragraph. Generally only acceptable if you're quoting a single sentence or phrase.

4. No annotations at all. UNACCEPTABLE. You can't tell whose words are whose.

And then of course there are also the email and Usenet quote styles, which involve top-posting or ">" marks. But they're not appropriate for forum posts like this.

Comment

Working...
                      X