• Show
Clear All

• Chicago

I don't see the attraction.
    It is quite obviously what is known as a
    Chick Film

That number they do; all that Jazz...

towards the end:
    for some reason, they begin a conversation with the audience during the noisy applause:

Zeta;
    we just wanna say... thank you
    Zellweig:
    thank you !
    believe us. we could not have done it.. without Yooo.

(what a strange thing to say!)

and that overadulation and girls screaming holding their cheeks ala home alone or the kids at a 1964 beatles concert.
    And girls throwing flowers up at the two dancers and the general over abundance of pandemonium, enthusiasm and adulation .
    Just.
    For.
    One.
    bloody.
    SONG!

Naaah.
    I dont' see it.

Re: Chicago

I loved Chicago, and was glad that it was part of a brief, contemporary return to big screen musicals (Moulin Rouge to Delovely)... but yeah, it was definitely a "chick flick." You have so much fun watching it, it takes you a while to figure out it's a film about killing (admittedly scummy) men and getting away with it.

As for the hyperenthusiasm you mention... I thought Chicago did a great job of transferring the exaggerated movements and energy of a Broadway production to the screen. It was somehow half a movie with sets and walls and half a stage production playing direct to the audience, without feeling awkward.

It was worth it just to see the stars in such fun roles. Renée Zellweger, Richard Gere, Catherine Zeta-Jones... and I like John Reilly, too. When actors are clearly enjoying what they're doing, it covers a lot of sins.

Comment

Re: Chicago

Originally posted by pzarquon
      When actors are clearly enjoying what they're doing, it covers a lot of sins.

waaaiit!
      How do you know they are "clearly enjoying what they're doing"?!
      They are actors! they are acting!

Comment

Working...
      X